2012 AL Central Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 11:15 PM)
Look how many years the Royals could have traded Soria for big value. Sucks to be them.

Why does everybody think the Royals should have traded Soria when he was an automatic save machine?

Rivera has been closing for 90 years now for the Yankees.

Why do teams always have to trade players?

It's not like the guys teams receive in return in trades are always worth a damn?

So I guess the Sox should have traded Mark last year. It's an epic fail Kenny didn't. But Kenny gets a free pass on that??

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)
Why does everybody think the Royals should have traded Soria when he was an automatic save machine?

It's not like the guys teams receive in return in trades are always worth a damn?

So I guess the Sox should have traded Mark last year. It's an epic fail Kenny didn't. But Kenny gets a free pass on that??

A couple years back, Soria was one of the top closers in the game. For a team like the Royals, who weren't expected to compete, they could have received a good amount in return for him. Adding in that he was still young (still is only 27) and his salary was very favorable.

Buehrle was 32 last year, and making nearly $15 mil, and on his last year of his contract. The Sox would not have received much in return. But we all know, you just have to throw that statement in because you have to take a shot at KW whenever you can.

Edited by smalls2598

Congrats you have now found the one exception to the rule.

Because the Royals always suck and saving a victory when you're in last place means s***.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 11:12 AM)
Buster Olney ‏ @Buster_ESPN

Arodys Vizcaino getting Tommy John surgery, says ATL GM Frank Wren.

Dude. Seriously? I challenge you to find one person on this board who finds that tweet to be of relevance. Also, wrong thread.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
Because the Royals always suck and saving a victory when you're in last place means s***.

Then Murphy's Law has hit this team.

They are expecting to be better this year and he was supposed to be the automatic save man again (yes he blew some saves last year) with some decent set up men before him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 12:48 AM)
Then Murphy's Law has hit this team.

They are expecting to be better this year and he was supposed to be the automatic save man again (yes he blew some saves last year) with some decent set up men before him.

Man, even when we explain it to you, you dont get it. The Royals could have had a really nice haul for Soria, and could have players in his place that could move them forward towards competing in the AL Central. Instead, they held on to him and now they have nothing to show for it but an expensive guy on the DL getting tommy john surgery. Why is this hard to understand?

It has nothing to do with Murphys Law, it has to do with being smart with your assets.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 06:37 AM)
Man, even when we explain it to you, you dont get it. The Royals could have had a really nice haul for Soria, and could have players in his place that could move them forward towards competing in the AL Central. Instead, they held on to him and now they have nothing to show for it but an expensive guy on the DL getting tommy john surgery. Why is this hard to understand?

It has nothing to do with Murphys Law, it has to do with being smart with your assets.

I've always said that Dayton Moore doesn't know how to run a Major League operation. He sure as hell can run a minor league one, but he doesn't know what the hell he's doing 90% of the time when it comes to ML ball players.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
Dude. Seriously? I challenge you to find one person on this board who finds that tweet to be of relevance. Also, wrong thread.

J4L probably does. He loves him some Braves and Blue Jays prospects.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 06:53 AM)
19 ABs, 26 PAs, 1 2B, 2 HR, 7 BB, 1 K, .263/.462/.632/1.093

---

I seem to recall seeing someone mention on here that he switched to a lighter bat. Is that true or am I imagining things? Because I sorta recall suggesting that last season because he simply couldn't get the SOB through the zone, and when he did, he was lugging it through so he had no bat speed.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)

Quit yelling at me and talking down to me.

Two weeks ago nobody was saying s*** about how the Royals had to deal Soria. He was to be the dominant closer on a team expected to be good

What is so hard to understand about keeping an all-star closer?

You don't always have to trade guys just because he's a closer and expected to get hurt at some point. KC on paper has a way better team than our beloved Sox and he was to be the automatic save man.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 04:35 PM)
KC on paper has a way better team than our beloved Sox and he was to be the automatic save man.

I'll believe it when I see it. For like 15 straight years people have been projecting that horsecrap team to breakout, and they never do.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
I'll believe it when I see it. For like 15 straight years people have been projecting that horsecrap team to breakout, and they never do.

They finally have a pretty good offense, but their pitching blows.

Two weeks ago nobody was saying s*** about how the Royals had to deal Soria. He was to be the dominant closer on a team expected to be good

You don't always have to trade guys just because he's a closer and expected to get hurt at some point. KC on paper has a way better team than our beloved Sox and he was to be the automatic save man.

greg, you conveniently ignore so many aspects of arguments, that you practically force people to talk down in order to get you to pay attention to what they are saying.

Soria was an amazing closer for the past 3 years or so, but the guy has already had arm issues in the past, and last season you could see he was starting to lose his control. The Royals havent truly contended for a long time, and they werent expected to any of the seasons that Soria was an all star closer(nor did they contend). So they have this amazing closer rotting in the bullpen for a team that was winning maybe 70 games tops. Why would you keep that guy around? He is A: going to get more expensive(and we all know the Royals arent exactly big spenders), and B: possibly going to get injured, diminishing any value he has. The Royals could have had a sale to the highest bidder any one of the past 3 offseasons or trade deadlines and gotten a very good haul for Soria, contenders like the Phillies, Boston, even the Yankees would love to have a guy like him in the bullpen.

But no, they say on him, and he blew out his arm. a wasted opportunity for a team that doesnt seem to get many opportunities

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 11:05 PM)
greg, you conveniently ignore so many aspects of arguments, that you practically force people to talk down in order to get you to pay attention to what they are saying.

Soria was an amazing closer for the past 3 years or so, but the guy has already had arm issues in the past, and last season you could see he was starting to lose his control. The Royals havent truly contended for a long time, and they werent expected to any of the seasons that Soria was an all star closer(nor did they contend). So they have this amazing closer rotting in the bullpen for a team that was winning maybe 70 games tops. Why would you keep that guy around? He is A: going to get more expensive(and we all know the Royals arent exactly big spenders), and B: possibly going to get injured, diminishing any value he has. The Royals could have had a sale to the highest bidder any one of the past 3 offseasons or trade deadlines and gotten a very good haul for Soria, contenders like the Phillies, Boston, even the Yankees would love to have a guy like him in the bullpen.

But no, they say on him, and he blew out his arm. a wasted opportunity for a team that doesnt seem to get many opportunities

Makes sense.

I just wonder if their master plan included him remaining a force for when it was time to contend which (according to KU people) is pretty soon; next year if not this one.

Brandon League was an all-star closer last year...just so you know. All-star closers pop up out of nowhere all the time.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/...alary-for-2012/

Fausto Carmona loses $4.5 million in guaranteed salary for 2012

D.J. Short

Mar 26, 2012, 8:22 PM EDT

1 Comment

Fausto Carmona, Roberto Hernandez Heredia

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com recently reported that the Indians restructured the contract of Roberto Hernandez, formerly known as Fausto Carmona, following his arrest on false identity charges in January. Now we know the details.

According to the Associated Press, Hernandez will make $2.5 million as a base salary in 2012 and can earn an additional $2.7 million in performance and roster bonuses. He was previously set to earn $7 million this season after the Indians picked up his club option in October. His $9 million option for 2013 was also reduced to $6 million, but he has a chance to make an additional $3 million in bonuses based on innings pitched.

Of course, Hernandez won’t earn a dime until he is removed from MLB’s restricted list. He recently reached a deal to have his false identity charges dropped in exchange for completing a work program in his native Dominican Republic, but he is currently awaiting a work visa to return to the United States.