2012 AL Central Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)
Dude. Seriously? I challenge you to find one person on this board who finds that tweet to be of relevance. Also, wrong thread.

Steve. Don't make posts like this. If you want to, you will get suspended. As will someone else that makes comments like this. They are completely unnecessary. Someone decided to share it. If you don't care, than don't make a response. It really is that simple.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
MLB Trade Rumors ‏ @mlbtraderumors

Twins Release Joel Zumaya

the least surprising news of this season. Sign Zumaya, throw pitch, blow out elbow, release zumaya, lose money.

I was honestly surprised the Twins of all teams gave him a shot

Yahoo! Sports AL Central Preview...

Pretty much on par with everything else anyone has said.

This part made me laugh however:

Which is probably just as well since the foolish contracts that Kenny Williams waved aboard the past few years prevent them from doing a full-blown rebuilding project. We could be looking at a contender if Daniel Hudson and Clayton Richard were still in the rotation

:lolhitting

Sale >>>>>>>>>> Clayton "5 innings of okay, followed by complete collapse" Richard

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
Yahoo! Sports AL Central Preview...

Pretty much on par with everything else anyone has said.

This part made me laugh however:

:lolhitting

Sale >>>>>>>>>> Clayton "5 innings of okay, followed by complete collapse" Richard

Not to mention 1-2 balls on simple infield plays thrown down the RF line, interspersed with high pitch counts and busted pickoff attempts at 1B.

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)

Clayton Richard career ERA: 4.20

Clayton Richard career ERA @ PETCO Park: 2.72

Clayton Richard career ERA away from PETCO park: 5.08

Enough said

No mention of the Alex Gordon extension or did I miss it? He is the third following Perez and Escobar that Dayton has signed this offseason.

$37.5MM over four years with a player option for 2016 at $12.5MM. Nice to see the Royals lock up some of their own talent for once.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
No mention of the Alex Gordon extension or did I miss it? He is the third following Perez and Escobar that Dayton has signed this offseason.

$37.5MM over four years with a player option for 2016 at $12.5MM. Nice to see the Royals lock up some of their own talent for once.

Hopefully 2011 is a fluke and he reverts back to his 2008-2010 form.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)
Tigers named Drew Smyly as their fifth starter.

Hmmm a no name pither. So his first start against the Sox? 7 IP 2 H 0 R sound about right?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
I'll believe it when I see it. For like 15 straight years people have been projecting that horsecrap team to breakout, and they never do.

Wrong, sir.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)

Amen, brother. I was confident a deal would get done, but I didn't expect it to happen before the season. All things considered, it got deal fairly cheap too.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 04:00 PM)
Hosmer has 29 RBIs this spring. Beast.

He's going to f*** s*** up this year.

Heading into the season, my expectations are still the same as they were. I think anything less than 81-81 is a disappointment. It was aggravating to see the Royals pass on the likes of Roy Oswalt, Edwin Jackson, and even guys like Livan Hernandez. Our rotation is laughable. It's going to take a lot of offense to make up for it.

We're going to miss Melky's production. Francoeur is likely to take a step back too. Gordon is going to be hard pressed to repeat his '11 production. Makes me sick to see Chris Getz is still a starter and Yuniesky Betancourt is back on the roster. Losing Salvador Perez is a huge blow, both offensively and defensively. Maybe this is finally the year we see some real power from Billy Butler.

It sucks losing Soria for the entire season. Good thing our bullpen is pretty deep. Louis Coleman, Aaron Crow, Greg Holland, and Jonathan Broxton could all compete for the closers' role, I believe they'll end up going with Broxton.

His left elbow swollen and wrapped, Troy Tulowitzki felt confident that he'd be ready for Opening Day.

He wasn't so certain whether former Colorado teammate Ubaldo Jimenez deliberately drilled him, putting the All-Star shortstop's status in jeopardy.

Jimenez nailed Tulowitzki with the first pitch Sunday, carrying their festering feud onto the field and causing the Cleveland Indians and Rockies to clear the benches.

"You guys will have to talk to him and see if it was intentional or unintentional," Tulowitzki said. "I didn't expect anything and the emotions took over. A couple of words were exchanged but nothing more than that."

Tulowitzki and Jimenez jawed up close, with the plate umpire and players on both sides holding them back from getting at each other. Tulowitzki was taken to a hospital for precautionary X-rays on his elbow, which were negative.

"From my take, as soon as he hit me it just seemed like he wanted a little more. That's when the confrontation started," Tulowitzki said. "I definitely wasn't happy about being hit. I don't think you ever are ... so it was back and forth. Not saying it was just him or me."

Rockies manager Jim Tracy, however, called it "the most gutless act I've seen in 35 years in the game, that's what I saw."

"That's exactly what I witnessed," Tracy said. "He intentionally threw at him, he should be suspended. I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't get suspended because he deserves to be suspended."

Jimenez, who gave up six runs on four hits and five walks in 4 1/3 innings, said it was an accident.

"I don't want to hurt him at all. Just one pitch that got away that could happen to anybody," he said.

Jimenez recently told Foxsports.com that he was upset he didn't receive a contract extension from Colorado, while Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez got new deals. Jimenez was traded to the Indians last summer.

Tulowitzki was later quoted by the Denver Post as basically saying Jimenez needs to get over his frustration and get on with his career.

Indians/Rockies blowup

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
Hmmm a no name pither. So his first start against the Sox? 7 IP 2 H 0 R sound about right?

Smyly's first start will be April 12. The Sox will miss Verlander and Smyly in the opening series at the Cell.

Should be:

Peavy vs Fister

Floyd vs Scherzer

Sale vs Porcello

No rain please.

Edited by flavum