2012 AL Central Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KW: Hey, Benny Boy. How's it going?

BC: Not so good, man, not so good. This whole GM thing is kind of stressful.

KW: Look at our roster. We've got four closers, and Nathan Jones has closer stuff, too.

BC: Take the 2 best prospects from our minor league system and we'll throw in Tom Brady to back-up Cutler over there.

Cubs gave 2 more runs back and the Yankees are going to be 0-3. What the heck is going on? Wouldn't be a complete shock if the Yankees didn't make the playoffs...luckily they have 3 options to get in now. Pirates take 2/3 from Philly. Twins 0-3, although not completely unexpected.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
KW and the White Sox marketing department respectfully disagree.

Except for 2005.

Its been a few years since the Sox have been the top to bottom homerun threat.

Goodbye, Melancon as closer.

A little bit different getting 20 saves for the worst team in the majors and closing for the Red Sox in DET against the likes of Cabrera, Fielder and Avila.

If Austin Jackson keeps hitting like this, watch out. Interestingly, the only player in history with more strikeouts than Jackson in his first two seasons is Pete Incaviglia.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)
Do we play Boston any time soon? It'd be great to get them while they're reeling early this season.

I don't think they're reeling. I think they're just bad. Not really bad. But they're no longer elite. Tampa has flown by everybody in that division, IMO.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 04:59 PM)
I don't think they're reeling. I think they're just bad. Not really bad. But they're no longer elite. Tampa has flown by everybody in that division, IMO.

Their bullpen has lost them games. Aceves and Melancon straight up suck as high leverage relievers. They should have never converted Bard to a starter, especially since the guy they were relying on was Andrew Bailey.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 07:28 PM)
Their bullpen has lost them games. Aceves and Melancon straight up suck as high leverage relievers. They should have never converted Bard to a starter, especially since the guy they were relying on was Andrew Bailey.

Bard wasn't really good down the stretch last year either...and their rotation is very, very weak without him being solid. Lester is good...Buchholz and Beckett have gotten beaten the last 2 days, then I can't even remember who their 4th starter was.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)
Bard wasn't really good down the stretch last year either...and their rotation is very, very weak without him being solid. Lester is good...Buchholz and Beckett have gotten beaten the last 2 days, then I can't even remember who their 4th starter was.

Their 4th starter is Bard, Doubront's their 5th.

Bard didn't look all that good in spring and I honestly don't think he's going to be anything more than an average starter this year. If you put him in the bullpen, he can be a 2 win reliever for you. So the tradeoff in overall value is small, but the innings he's pitching are far more important, especially when you consider how much the rest of that bullpen sucks.