2012 AL Central Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/...toms-since-dec/

Justin Morneau hasn’t felt concussion symptoms since Dec.

Drew Silva

Jan 22, 2012, 2:14 PM EST

6 Comments

morneau getty Getty Images

Finally, some promising news on Justin Morneau.

According to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the 30-year-old first baseman has been participating in strenuous workouts for over a month at a training facility in Phoenix and has not experienced a concussion-related symptom yet.

There’s still some concern that Morneau’s head issues will resurface when spring training opens and he’s exposed to the heat and sunlight of a typical March in Fort Myers, Florida. But, so far so good.

“I wouldn’t say the head’s perfect yet,” Morneau told the Star-Tribune. “I’m not going to declare that until I go through fielding ground balls, playing catch, taking batting practice, doing all the baseball stuff. But what I was able to do today is miles ahead of where I was at this time last year.”

Morneau batted just .227/.285/.333 with four home runs and 30 RBI across 288 plate appearances last year and has played in only 150 games over the past two seasons. The native of British Columbia was the American League’s Most Valuable Player in 2006 and was a .282/.352/.505 hitter between ’04 and ’09.

Just to put it in perspective...

Tigers lineup: Jackson, Young, Fielder, Cabrera, Avila, Peralta, Boesch, Raburn/Santiago, Inge

Sox lineup: De Aza, Ramirez, Dunn, Konerko, Rios, Pierzynski, Viciedo, Morel, Beckham

Tigers rotation: Verlander, Fister, Scherzer, Porcello, Turner

Sox rotation: Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Humber, Sale

Tigers bullpen: Balester, Schlereth, Albuquerque, Coke, Dotel, Benoit, Valverde

Sox bullpen: TBD, TBD, TBD, Ohman, Crain, Thornton, Reed

Gut it, Kenny.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
Just to put it in perspective...

Tigers lineup: Jackson, Young, Fielder, Cabrera, Avila, Peralta, Boesch, Raburn/Santiago, Inge

Sox lineup: De Aza, Ramirez, Dunn, Konerko, Rios, Pierzynski, Viciedo, Morel, Beckham

Tigers rotation: Verlander, Fister, Scherzer, Porcello, Turner

Sox rotation: Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Humber, Sale

Tigers bullpen: Balester, Schlereth, Albuquerque, Coke, Dotel, Benoit, Valverde

Sox bullpen: TBD, TBD, TBD, Ohman, Crain, Thornton, Reed

Gut it, Kenny.

Their late bullpen looks better. They have Verlander, Prince, & MCab. But it's not like the rest of their team is anything special.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)
Their late bullpen looks better. They have Verlander, Prince, & MCab. But it's not like the rest of their team is anything special.

Verlander, Fielder, and Cabrera could combine for 20 fWAR. It will, barring anything completely out of the norm, take 5 White Sox players to match 20 WAR.

I think the Tigers are going to win 100 games this year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)

They're not the best team out there, but they have a very above average team on paper (but at least those contracts will hurt them in the future). They really should run away with the division now, unless injuries strike and/or everything goes right for the Indians. And I would love if the Sox had guys like Boesch or Avila. Those two guys are only going to get better.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 04:21 AM)
They're not the best team out there, but they have a very above average team on paper (but at least those contracts will hurt them in the future). They really should run away with the division now, unless injuries strike and/or everything goes right for the Indians. And I would love if the Sox had guys like Boesch or Avila. Those two guys are only going to get better.

Of course, Boesch was never even a top 25 prospect for the Tigers, so it's entirely plausible that some of those guys appear out of no where.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
jonmorosi Jon Morosi

Source: #Indians acquire Kevin Slowey from #Rockies for Zach Putnam.

Damn just saw this, Putnam played at my high school when I was a freshmen, hopefully he does well out in Colorado.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)
The Central is gonna be a joke outside of Detroit next season....

Why? If Jimenez pitches like an ace I think the Indians will give them a run for their money the entire way. Fister is a ground ball pitcher who had a terrific half-season. Not sold on that guy at all. Lets see how he likes having miggy butchering 3B behind him. And take a look at the prince's numbers outside of milwaukee. He's also getting ready to see a lot more breaking s*** than he saw in the NL. And Valverde? No way he repeats that performance. They had their shot last year, blew it as usual. f*** Detroit.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
Why? If Jimenez pitches like an ace I think the Indians will give them a run for their money the entire way. Fister is a ground ball pitcher who had a terrific half-season. Not sold on that guy at all. Lets see how he likes having miggy butchering 3B behind him. And take a look at the prince's numbers outside of milwaukee. He's also getting ready to see a lot more breaking s*** than he saw in the NL. And Valverde? No way he repeats that performance. They had their shot last year, blew it as usual. f*** Detroit.

Funny that you're not sold on Fister because he had a terrific half season when that's all Jimenez has ever had in his career.

Jim Souhan ‏ @SouhanStrib

Morneau: ``I don’t think there will be a career if it’s something I’m dealing with..I’m obviously not going to continue to mess around...

..with this if it continues to be a problem. There comes a point where you can only torture yourself for so long.'' Bad day for Twins.

After listening to Morneau, I think he knows the end is near, and wants to give it one more try.