2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN Stats & Info @ESPNStatsInfo

Tim Wakefield announces retirement. He was MLB's active leader in wins with 200. Now it's Roy Halladay with 188.

ESPN Stats & Info ESPN Stats & Info @ESPNStatsInfo

Last time MLB's active wins leader had less than 200 wins: 1879, when Tommy Bond had 195. (via @baseball_ref)

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

Deal needs #MLB approval. #Yankees will pay $20M of $33M left on Burnett's contract, receive two low-level minor leaguers from #Pirates.

Ken Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

Source: #Yankees, #Pirates in agreement on Burnett. Were working through one final detail today. Burnett will take physical Sunday. #MLB

Jon Heyman @JonHeymanCBS

debate over exactly which low level minors leaguers will go won't derail aj deal. no issue seen w/ aj physical, mlb ok, either

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN

Second scout said he had Kazmir at 88-89 mph, touching 91 mph at his workout today

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN

Scott Kazmir threw at about 86-87 mph today, touched 89 mph in his workout; that's better than last season with LAA. About 10 scouts there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
This is something I would love to catch on. I hate missing Sox BP.

JRB @julierubes

RT @msanserino: #Pirates announce season ticket holders will have PNC Park access one hour before general public. Can catch watch BP.

Yeah, I agree. Even if they charged $5 for early entry to the park to watch BP, I definitely would. If they got just 5,000 fans to do this, that's an extra $25K per game. Multiply that out over 81 home games, and that's an extra $2M a year! Sometimes it's hard being a genius....... :headbang

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 02:56 AM)
Yeah, I agree. Even if they charged $5 for early entry to the park to watch BP, I definitely would. If they got just 5,000 fans to do this, that's an extra $25K per game. Multiply that out over 81 home games, and that's an extra $2M a year! Sometimes it's hard being a genius....... :headbang

Why would you pay extra money to watch batting practice? The opportunity to catch a meaningless ball?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 02:56 AM)

Good luck finding 5,000 people to pay an extra $5 on top of their expensive tickets just to watch practice, lol.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
Good luck finding 5,000 people to pay an extra $5 on top of their expensive tickets just to watch practice, lol.

The number would more likely be dozens/hundreds. The ballpark is usually pretty empty what, 45 minutes before a game?

OK, so Mr. 3000 is on TV right now (no, I'm not actually watching it). The plot is that a guy reaches hit #3000 and abruptly retires. An analyst finds out 9 years later that 3 of the hits didn't count for some reason, and he returns to get back to the magic number. He has the entire month of September to do it, and fails.

Now I know it's a movie, and a poor one at that, but I find it very hard to believe a guy with enough talent to get 3000 hits in his career could return at the age of 47 and not get 3 hits in a month.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 11:58 AM)
OK, so Mr. 3000 is on TV right now (no, I'm not actually watching it). The plot is that a guy reaches hit #3000 and abruptly retires. An analyst finds out 9 years later that 3 of the hits didn't count for some reason, and he returns to get back to the magic number. He has the entire month of September to do it, and fails.

Now I know it's a movie, and a poor one at that, but I find it very hard to believe a guy with enough talent to get 3000 hits in his career could return at the age of 47 and not get 3 hits in a month.

The big issue would be how much they let their physical condition go during the couple years after retirement.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 06:47 AM)
Why would you pay extra money to watch batting practice? The opportunity to catch a meaningless ball?

Batting practice, to me, is one of the coolest things to watch. I love watching infield/batting practice and it is also one of the best things about spring training. Especially when you get to catch a great player during BP. Some of my greatest memories were watching Bonds and McGwire taking BP just crushing moon shots.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)

I've only been to batting practice once, and it was awesome. I saw the Twins bat, and being able to watch those guys blast balls all over the yard was cool. Neither my buddy or myself were able to catch a ball, but catching a HR ball by any Sox player would be awesome, batting practice be damned.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 08:47 AM)

It's not meaningless to a kid. That ball can make a fan for life which is a lot more income.