2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
A few minutes ago, I saw but couldn't hear a TV. It was a press conference for the Mets with what looked to be their manager. I had no idea who it was, looked it up, and still have no idea. Never heard of Terry Collins.

I've heard of that guy. I am pretty sure he is the newest Mets fall guy that will be fired before Thanksgiving.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 01:18 AM)
Anyone else follow Brandon McCarthy? Dude is pretty damn funny. Seems like a fun dude to hang out with.

Brandon McCarthy

@BMcCarthy32

"Well if you didn't want to get farted on, you shouldn't have tried to cuddle," I said to kick off Monday night's fight.

Hey guys, how do you know if you're a yuppie? I'll come back and read your answers when we're done with our dog's birthday party.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/2/22/2816252/...2-sam-fuld-rule

Baseball Unveils The "Sam Fuld Rule"

ST. PETERSBURG, FL: Outfielder Sam Fuld #5 of the Tampa Bay Rays catches a ball against the Baltimore Orioles during the game at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. (Photo by J. Meric/Getty Images)

Bookmark and Share

By Rob Neyer - National Baseball Editor

Sam Fuld made the highlight reels last season for his fielding gems. But he might make the history books for a new rule on the books in 2012.

Follow @sbnbaseball on Twitter, and Like Baseball Nation on Facebook.

Feb 22, 2012 - It's been about 140 years, and managers are still coming up with ways to bend baseball's rules, which is why Baseball's still refining those rules. From the Associated Press (via ESPN.com):

Maybe this should be the Joe Maddon Rule.

A season after the Tampa Bay manager put outfielder Sam Fuld to the mound to warm up for the sole purpose of giving a reliever extra time in the bullpen, Major League Baseball closed the loophole.

MLB has amended Official Baseball Rule 3.05 regarding such shenanigans. The change will "prohibit a manager from sending his current pitcher out to warm up with no intention of having him pitch because a relief pitcher is not ready to enter the game."

Last June in this game against the Brewers, Fuld pinch-hit for reliever J.P. Howell in the top of the eighth inning. At that moment, the Rays were ahead 5-1 and Maddon planned on replacing Fuld in the lineup with reliever Joel Peralta. But moments later, Evan Longoria made it 8-1 with a three-run home run and Maddon wanted to go with reliever Cesar Ramos instead of Peralta.

Just one problem: It all happened so fast that Ramos wasn't warmed up enough to start the bottom of the eighth inning. So Maddon sent Fuld to the mound to "warm up" while Ramos kept working in the bullpen. This delayed the game by (presumably) an extra few minutes. Hence, the "Joe Maddon Rule" ... as Maddon suggested with a laugh, the "Sam Fuld Rule".

Maddon does raise an interesting question about all this:

How do they know the intentions are not to pitch him? How would you know that? You could easily leave him in there for one hitter if you had to. My concern would be you could still send out your previous inning's pitcher to warm up and then pull him out of the game before the first batter. That's still OK, correct?

What if the Rays, instead of being up 8-1, were down 11-1? Would the umpires have simply assumed that Fuld wasn't actually going to pitch in a game that was essentially lost? It seems to me the umpires can't know a manager's intention until the manager actually makes the move for the guy in the bullpen. At which point it's too late to do anything about it.

So while the Sam Fuld Rule makes sense in theory, I don't quite understand how it's going to work in practice. And I'm not at all surprised that Maddon immediately spotted the problem.

Rule 3.05 isn't the only change in the book this year:

The rules committee, composed of executives, former players and an umpire, recently made a few other adjustments, none major.

Bats with a scooped end on the barrel can have an indentation of 1 1/4 inches, up from 1 inch. And the word "baseline" has been replaced in spots by "base path."

Also, the process for appealing an official scorer's ruling has been changed. In the past, a team's public relations employee would often ask the scorer to review a call. Now, a player's agent will work with the union to appeal, then there will be a process between MLB and the union to reach a decision.

Base path? With a space? I mean, I'm all for restoring hyphens and inserting spaces and windmill-tilting, but that's a losing battle, my friends. We'll see if it survives the final editorial process; if so, hats off to Commissioner Bud.*

* You think I am kidding. I am not.

That last bit is going to make a lot of official scorers all kinds of happy, I'll bet. Have you ever dealt with a teenager who wanted his way, no matter what? Now give that teenager $10 million and all the pretty girls in sight, and see how belligerent he can be.

They're not all so bad, but major-league baseball players routinely say terrible things to official scorers with whom they disagree. You're not going to make the players grow up. So simply eliminating the scorers from the appeal process was the only solution, and long overdue.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6084466.story

Cubs fans got more than just Theo Epstein from the Red Sox. One also got the domain name to Boston's new spring training home, JetBlue Park at Fenway South.

News-press.com reports that Fort Myers resident and Cubs fan Eric Engelman bought the domain name jetbluepark.com.

What's more, if you go to jetbluepark.com, it takes you to the Yankees website.

He said he has no animosity for the Red Sox. He said he just thought it would be funny.

He was right. It is.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 01:18 AM)
Anyone else follow Brandon McCarthy? Dude is pretty damn funny. Seems like a fun dude to hang out with.

Brandon McCarthy

@BMcCarthy32

"Well if you didn't want to get farted on, you shouldn't have tried to cuddle," I said to kick off Monday night's fight.

He made the cover of ESPN the mag with his model wife.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
He made the cover of ESPN the mag with his model wife.

He looks so different from when we had him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
paul hoynes @hoynsie

RHP Jon Garland no longer an option for #Indians. Was scheduled for physical Monday, but didn't take it.

Minor league deal insurance if we need an extra arm and don't want to rush Molina/Stewart/Castro/Santiago?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
He looks so different from when we had him.

Minor league deal insurance if we need an extra arm and don't want to rush Molina/Stewart/Castro/Santiago?

I'm guessing if he didn't show up for his physical, his arm isn't healthy.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
A few minutes ago, I saw but couldn't hear a TV. It was a press conference for the Mets with what looked to be their manager. I had no idea who it was, looked it up, and still have no idea. Never heard of Terry Collins.

He managed the Angels years ago. Solid baseball guy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
paul hoynes @hoynsie

RHP Jon Garland no longer an option for #Indians. Was scheduled for physical Monday, but didn't take it.

Oh, no. He isn't healthy? Get healthy, then give it a try with the White Sox. Possibly a reliever?

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...arrowing_t.html

By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff

FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox reliever Bobby Jenks filled in some details about his medical issues this morning and it's quite a tale.

After recovering from a pulmonary embolism, Jenks traveled to Boston and had surgery on his spine on Dec. 12 at Massachusetts General Hospital. After recovering, he returned to his home in Arizona.

Then, on Dec. 30, Jenks had emergency surgery because of complications related to the first procedure.

"I don't know whose fault it was. But there was an error done inside," said Jenks, who landed on the disabled list twice last season because of back pain. "I had four bone spurs on my spine. We talked about taking the top two out. The third one was started and not finished. So basically there was a serrated edge that sliced me open in two different spots and I was leaking spinal fluid."

Jenks said the fluid pooled at the bottom of his incision and was constantly leaking. When he went to get it checked, he was rushed into surgery that day.

"It kind of blew up on me," he said. "It caused an infection to climb up that incision wound. So now I had an infection in my spine. It was a combination of everything that could have gone wrong went wrong.

"If I didn't have it done immediately, the infection could've gotten into my spinal fluid and up to my brain. Who knows what happens then? I could obviously not be here right now."

Jenks said he was in "excruciating" pain before the second surgery and going through it was "very, very painful." He described it as being far worse than any migraine headache.

Jenks now has a long red scar on the middle of his back, about seven inches long.

"My muscles were so torn open, I was basically laid up in bed and couldn't function," Jenks said.

Jenks does not know for sure if he will be able to pitch again this season. Signed to a two-year, $12 million deal before the 2011 season, he appeared in only 12 games last season. He has not tried to throw a ball since last year. His hope is to return to the team later in the season.

"It has been incredibly frustrating," he said.

As he went through this ordeal, Jenks has lost a lot of weight. He did not give a number, saying only that he lost "enough." But it appears to be 30 or 40 pounds, perhaps even more. He doesn't look like the same person.

Jenks was asked if he is considering legal action.

"That's why I got people," he said. "I let them worry about that. If there's something there I'll let them take care of it. My job is to get better. That's what I'm going to focus on."