2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
Ryan Zimmerman signs six year, $100 mil extension, signed through 2019. $16.7 mil average salary, 2nd highest behind A-Rod for 3Bs

That seems steep, especially for a guy coming off an .800 OPS season.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
That seems steep, especially for a guy coming off an .800 OPS season.

Yeah, the Nationals are paying $100 million each to him & Jayson Werth. Lucky for them they got the #1 pick in the two best years possible consecutively.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 01:02 AM)
Yeah, the Nationals are paying $100 million each to him & Jayson Werth. Lucky for them they got the #1 pick in the two best years possible consecutively.

And before that was coming off back to back 7+ fWAR seasons. The dude had a hernia last year. He's generally been considered a great defensive 3B and has always hit...the fact that he didn't hit for power last year after coming back from hernia surgery is far from surprising.

I would prefer Ryan Zimmerman at that price than Prince Fielder at $130 million. I would say they re-invested their money as best as they could.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
Baseball America ‏ @BaseballAmerica

Bad news for the Nationals and Sammy Solis. Looks like he's headed towards Tommy John surgery.

Ok, i'll admit it, I wondered for a moment when the Nats had signed Sammy Sosa.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Cardinals and Yadier Molina are close to a five-year contract extension in the range of $70-75 million.

I like this. Anytime I get the chance to lock up a catcher with an 88 career OPS+ at 5/70, I'm doing it.

LOL

Between this and the Zimmerman contract I'm dumbfounded. At least one can actually defend the Zimmerman contract.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 07:37 PM)
LOL

Between this and the Zimmerman contract I'm dumbfounded. At least one can actually defend the Zimmerman contract.

Yeah, I mean Molina is a nice catcher but I can't believe how much he got.... i wouldn't have even been close to that.

2nd wildcard will be announced tomorrow (probably).

Not a fan of doing it this year before the Astros move, but I think it's a good move.

I'd rather have no divisions and a balanced league schedule, but the new format will put a premium on winning your division, and two mid-90 win teams from the same division can't just coast into the playoffs without trying to win it outright. It will actually mean something to win it, which is better for the game.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 02:43 AM)
Yeah, I mean Molina is a nice catcher but I can't believe how much he got.... i wouldn't have even been close to that.

Seriously, I would probably go about 5/35, maybe 5/40, but that still seems to be a gross overpay unless he hits like he did last year (or maybe even have to be better) every single year of the contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)
Jon Morosi ‏ @jonmorosi

source: #MLB and union still discussing extra wild card for this year, March 1 is not a hard deadline for decision.

Source says decision is expected in the "next few days" on whether fifth playoff team will be added for '12.

Supposedly no deal yet but the 2 sides are now very close to agreeing to a 10 team playoff format for 2012.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 29, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
ap-201202291223446308994.jpg

LOL. How does that guy know which baseball to hit?

When he was with Jacksonville in 2010, my friend heckled him by saying "Giancarlo-Cruz! (pause) Michael Stanton.

Geoff Baker ‏ @gbakermariners

Gutierrez will be treated non-surgically, but will obviously miss the start of the regular season. At this rate, might not be back in April.

Gutierrez suffered partial tear of pectoral. Out four weeks, then can resume baseball activities, the team hopes.

Larry Stone ‏ @StoneLarry

Tough break for Franklin Gutierrez and Mariners, but an opening to seize for young player like Michael Saunders or Casper Wells

@AaronGleeman: A.J. Burnett tried to lay down a bunt and instead broke his face

Buster Olney ‏ @Buster_ESPN

Terrible luck for A.J. Burnett; out with a broken orbital bone around his right eye.

Jon Morosi ‏ @jonmorosi

#Pirates holding off on announcing timetable for AJ Burnett's return until after surgery.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)

Terrible luck for A.J. Burnett; out with a broken orbital bone around his right eye.

Jon Morosi ‏ @jonmorosi

#Pirates holding off on announcing timetable for AJ Burnett's return until after surgery.

Well that didn't last long.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)

Jon Morosi ‏ @jonmorosi

f*** that, terrible luck for the Pirates. They have a chance (although slight) to actually compete this year, but they need a healthy Burnett to do so. You can break my orbital bone for the salary that Burnett steals.