2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Cardinals and Yadier Molina are close to a five-year contract extension in the range of $70-75 million.

I like this. Anytime I get the chance to lock up a catcher with an 88 career OPS+ at 5/70, I'm doing it.

Plus a dual 6th year option at another $15 million. Geesh.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/giants-talk...amp;feedID=5879

Posey's ankle needs more time, won't play in spring opener

March 1, 2012, 1:05 pm

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Giants manager Bruce Bochy penciled out his lineup for Saturday's exhibition opener, and it includes most of the forecasted starters.

But not Buster Posey.

The Giants' cleanup-hitting catcher won't play on Saturday and might not make his Cactus League debut until the middle of next week, Bochy said. Trainers and club officials agreed that Posey's reconstructed left ankle needs more time, especially when it comes to sliding and baserunning.

"At this point, we feel he's better off (not playing)," Bochy said. "Could he go back there and catch? Yeah. But we want to make sure he's ready. We want to be 100 percent sure."

As recently as two days ago, Bochy had left open the possibility that Posey could start the opener. But he said he knew all along that the more realistic possibility would be to have his 2010 Rookie of the Year ready "by the second week or the back end of the first week" of exhibition games.

"We've been here 10 days, and you may think that's a long time," Bochy said. "But when a guy hasn't played in four, five months or longer, it takes time. But I will say this: He's real close. If we wanted to force the issue, we could."

Posey hasn't tried any sliding drills yet. He ran bases a few weeks ago and said his ankle has been stiff and sore when introduced to new tests. But he is pleased with the progression and said he anticipates being game ready soon.

"I'm feeling great and everything is going well," Posey said. "We're sticking to the course and I don't think it'll be long before I get into games here."

Posey said he didn't see sliding as a major issue. He acknowledged the baserunning concern, though.

"That's definitely been the toughest thing so far, but there's been a lot of improvement," he said. "Any time I'm challenging my ankle to do something different, it responds better and better each time I do it. ... The first time I caught, there was stiffness. It for better each time I caught. We knew running bases would be one of the last things to do."

The first lineup of the spring often is chock full of hints as to which players are considered the ones to beat out for jobs. So it's telling that Aubrey Huff, and not Brandon Belt, will start at first base on Saturday, Bochy said.

Bochy plans to play Mike Fontenot at second base, Brandon Crawford at short, Pablo Sandova at third, Melky Cabrera in left field, Angel Pagan in center and Nate Schierholtz in right. Chris Stewart will start at catcher; he'll receive Tim Lincecum, who is expected to throw just one inning.

Is Posey disappointed he won't be able to join his mates?

"There's no disappointment at all," Posey said. "Spring training is about being ready for the season. If I wasn't ready for the opener of the regular season, I'd be disappointed."

Read more: Posey's ankle needs more time, won't play in spring opener

Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
f*** that, terrible luck for the Pirates. They have a chance (although slight) to actually compete this year, but they need a healthy Burnett to do so. You can break my orbital bone for the salary that Burnett steals.

This could be incredibly great for the pirates if that deal is insured. They could get Burnett's contract paid for by insurance and by the Yankees.

Tim Kurkjian ‏ @Kurkjian_ESPN

Jim Thome is trying to re-learn playing first base. He told me he took yoga in the offseason to help with flexibility.

Thome said he hasn't played first base in six years. "They say it's like riding a bike, but it's not," he said.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
5 year, $25 million deal for Cameron Maybin (CF, SD). One option year at the end. Buys out 2 years of free agency.

High risk/high reward deal there. This guy was a huge bust before last year, and though he still has a ton of potential he could easily revert back to his Marlins days.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 11:27 PM)
I made a bet with an A's fan at 10:1 odds for $10 that Manny Ramirez would not lead the league in doubles.

I am going to be $10 richer come September.

Um, he doesn't realize that Manny can only play in 112 games?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 4, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
RT @JonHeymanCBS #Braves hitting coach greg walker on his team being 1-hit in spring opener: "the honeymoon is already over."

Hahaha, it's not like this hasn't happened before.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-r...buseallegations

BOSTON (AP)—Eight more men have come forward to say they were abused by a now-dead former Boston Red Sox clubhouse manager.

The men, including two former Baltimore Orioles bat boys, are in addition to two former Red Sox clubhouse attendants who said in December to say they were abused by Donald Fitzpatrick, who died in 2005.

Lawyer Mitchell Garabedian said Monday the statute of limitations for legal action has expired, so the men are seeking $5 million settlements from the Red Sox or Orioles. He’s exploring possible legal action in two cases.

Fitzpatrick pleaded guilty in Florida in 2002 to attempted sexual battery on a child under 12. The Red Sox settled a lawsuit with seven Florida men claiming Fitzpatrick molested them. He resigned from the Red Sox in 1991.