2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
So when do the Floyd to Yankees rumors start again?

Joba wasn't even supposed to pitch til mid-season and that was gonna be in the bullpen

Their rotation is 7-deep now: CC, Pineda, Kuroda, Nova, Hughes, Garcia, Petitte

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
Didn't even realize Ryan Sweeney was now trying to make the Red Sox until I tuned into the game radio broadcast today.

He was in that trade for Bailey earlier this year. Is he actually struggling to make the team? The BoSox seemed like they definitely could use him at least as a backup OF unless they signed someone else.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
Ryan Madson out for the season, needs the Tommy John. Sucks for him as he thought he had a 4-year deal, now he will be FA coming off surgery. Sean Marshall to close, Aroldis Chapman back to set-up role.

Chapman is not in their rotation? So they spent $30 million on a guy who has been a reliever for 3 years?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
Ryan Madson out for the season, needs the Tommy John. Sucks for him as he thought he had a 4-year deal, now he will be FA coming off surgery. Sean Marshall to close, Aroldis Chapman back to set-up role.

That will last about 2 months. Chapman will be the closer by June 1.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
He was in that trade for Bailey earlier this year. Is he actually struggling to make the team? The BoSox seemed like they definitely could use him at least as a backup OF unless they signed someone else.

He theoretically should be the LH share of a platoon in RF, unless one of them gets super-hot.

Cody Ross will also get AB's, and then Ryan Kalish or Darnell McDonald will also have to play while Crawford's recovering.

Rowand still fighting for a roster spot with the Marlins. Went 2-4 today and played all of the OF positions. Hope that he makes it.

Pods and Pierre still playing for the Phillies in spring training. They batted 1-2 in the lineup today. Pierre went 2-4 and Pods went 0-4. I think that they are competing against one another for a spot.

Edited by sunofgold

http://www.mercurynews.com/other-sports/ci...y-not-sure-when

Baseball: Philadelphia Phillies' Chase Utley not sure when he'll play again

Associated Press

Posted: 03/25/2012 07:59:29 PM PDT

Updated: 03/25/2012 09:51:05 PM PDT

Chase Utley will miss the entire exhibition schedule for the second straight year and will not be in the Philadelphia Phillies' opening-day lineup because of his injured knees.

The five-time All-Star second baseman, who was limited to 103 games last year when he didn't play his first game until May 23, said Sunday that he will not have season-ending surgery and has no plans to retire.

"I don't really have a timeline on when I will be available," Utley said. "I think it's important to get everything around my knees working correctly. And I think it's going to take a little bit of time."

After arriving in camp last month, Utley took regular batting practice and participated in light fielding work. But his workouts slowed and then stopped. Last week, he left camp to see a physical therapist in Arizona.

Utley described his condition as chondromalacia, "which is a roughening of the cartilage underneath the patellar. ... It's not bad enough to have microfracture surgery. It's not bad enough to end my career. It's an issue I'm going to have to deal with. ... I'm 33 years old. I still feel like I have a lot of baseball left in me."

In Utley's absence, the Phillies will turn to 22-year-old rookie Freddy Galvis at second base.

Yankees: Reliever Joba Chamberlain was released from a hospital three days after dislocating his right ankle bouncing on a trampoline. Chamberlain, who was hurt while playing with

Advertisement

his son Thursday at a recreation spot, needed surgery for the injury, in which a bone broke through the skin.

Chamberlain will be in a cast for six weeks. There is no timetable for his return to the mound. The right-hander had been working his way back from elbow ligament replacement surgery and was expected to return in June.

Red Sox: Pitcher Bobby Jenks apologized for "distractions" caused by his arrest on charges of driving under the influence. He said in a statement that he is embarrassed and apologized to his teammates and the Red Sox for distractions he said he may have caused.

Jenks was arrested Friday in Fort Myers, Fla., after a sheriff's deputy saw his SUV driving erratically. An arrest report said Jenks told the deputy he took "too many muscle relaxers." The deputy said Jenks was shaking uncontrollably and had a difficult time speaking. The report said Jenks also told the deputy he had hit another car at a strip club.

Spring highlights: Scott Elarton, who hasn't pitched in the majors since 2008, started for the Phillies in a split-squad game against the Tigers and allowed one run and two hits in four innings. ... Stephen Strasburg allowed five hits in five innings with five strikeouts and one walk as the Nationals ended an 11-game winless streak with a 12-0 victory over the Mets. ... Albert Pujols hit his fourth homer of the exhibition season for the Angels.

Ozzie Guillen ‏ @OzzieGuillen

now dont say was a frendly conversation only thing i responde was thanks cause iam a getleman thas the only reazon

16m Ozzie Guillen Ozzie Guillen ‏ @OzzieGuillen

tha was few days a go to responde a text mesague from him i dont know was good or bad they know how i feel about then

18m Ozzie Guillen Ozzie Guillen ‏ @OzzieGuillen

the only think i tell kenny williams was thank for the oportunity thas it

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
I didn't see this anywhere else, but this is a great read on pitching mechanics and tommy john surgery, including ridiculuing the idea of a problem by Cooper.

So baseball, lots of ballplayers are rich and stubborn. Instead of doing something to fix what's causing your injury you just fall back on surgery.

There is no doubt in my mind Stras will get hurt again in his career. Probably TJ again. Which sucks cause his stuff is fun to watch...

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)
So baseball, lots of ballplayers are rich and stubborn. Instead of doing something to fix what's causing your injury you just fall back on surgery.

There is no doubt in my mind Stras will get hurt again in his career. Probably TJ again. Which sucks cause his stuff is fun to watch...

Lincecum was the most interesting name in there. How would you like to be deciding whether to offer him a boatload of money or not?