2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 05:47 PM)
I can't believe that didn't get veto'd by the league.

I know, I just kinda sat there.

I thought maybe if the other guy was a complete idiot, he'd take Gordon + Beachy/Hudson/Floyd/Zimmermann for Kershaw, let a lone straight up. My friend didn't even suffer in the OF too much with Francoeur, Gardner, and Maybin as backup OF.

It's worth noting the other guy was really desperate for offense, but he went from stacked rotation (Kershaw, Hellickson, Buehrle, Shields) to an OK rotation and a slightly not as bad offense.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/story/_/...lue-jays-roster

DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Omar Vizquel has played his way into yet another season in the majors.

Boosted by an excellent showing in spring training, the backup infielder was told Wednesday that he'd made the team and would be added to the roster.

Vizquel found out a month before his 45th birthday, making him the oldest active position player in the big leagues.

The 11-time Gold Glove winner had signed a minor league contract on Jan. 23. He spent the previous two years with the Chicago White Sox as a utilityman and mentor to younger players.

"We knew what his character was and what kind of guy he was going to be in the clubhouse," Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopolous said after Toronto beat Baltimore 9-3. "So that obviously came out the way it was expected. Omar just had a very good camp and he deserved to be on the team."

Vizquel turns 45 on April 24. The three-time All-Star shortstop from Venezuela is batting .433 in 15 exhibition games. He had a bunt single and scored a run in Toronto's win over the Orioles.

The Blue Jays optioned Mike McCoy, Vizquel's primary competition, to Triple-A Las Vegas after the game.

"McCoy had to be that much better than Omar and (Luis) Valbuena just because he had options and they had the ability to keep him," Anthopolous said. "Mike knew he didn't have a great camp, he's a lot better than he played."

"He's going to be back, like he was last year a lot, and I expect him to be back again. It's just one of those things that Omar had the best camp," he said.

This will be Vizquel's 24th season in the majors. He hit .251 with eight RBIs in 58 games for the White Sox last year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
The Yankees are probably sending Pineda to the minors because f*** them.

LOL. I love how they spun his lack of velocity all spring and acted like it was all part of the program

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
Brian McTaggart ‏ @brianmctaggart

Astros announced that they have released right-hander Livan Hernandez

You gotta give the guy credit. Despite his age and lack of anything, he keeps sticking around. Pretty impressive for a guy that was born a pauper to a pawn.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
You gotta give the guy credit. Despite his age and lack of anything, he keeps sticking around. Pretty impressive for a guy that was born a pauper to a pawn.

Still going

Jerry Crasnick ‏ @jcrasnick

#Braves have agreed with Livan Hernandez, source confirms. First reported by @JonHeymanCBS.

David O'Brien ‏ @ajcbraves

#Braves signed Livan,and he just walked in clubhouse

Wait, does that mean Livan is going to block one of the Braves young starters and one of them didn't make the team?

Jurrjens

Hanson

Beachy

Minor

Delgado

Teheran

That's 6 deep right there unless Hanson is hurt, and then they get Hudson back in a month or so.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
Wait, does that mean Livan is going to block one of the Braves young starters and one of them didn't make the team?

Jurrjens

Hanson

Beachy

Minor

Delgado

Teheran

That's 6 deep right there unless Hanson is hurt, and then they get Hudson back in a month or so.

From what I read, Teheran & Delgago were pretty mediocre in the spring battle for the #5 spot, so I think they'd rather have them develop more in the minors and delay their service time.

Red Sox put Felix Doubront and Daniel Bard in their rotation in the 4-5 slots, Alfredo Aceves goes to the bullpen.

Meanwhile, Andrew Bailey is having thumb problems and will leave the team to have it examined. Status for opening day currently up in the air.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
Red Sox put Felix Doubront and Daniel Bard in their rotation in the 4-5 slots, Alfredo Aceves goes to the bullpen.

Meanwhile, Andrew Bailey is having thumb problems and will leave the team to have it examined. Status for opening day currently up in the air.

I am not crazy about that team right now. Considering how much they have spent in the last 2-4 years, I think they are going to struggle to make the playoffs.