2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

As kalapse and i were talking about yesterday... john fulgham has the record for most consecutive strikes thrown. The date was august 17th, 1979... fulgham faced 29 batters, threw 39 pitches, all for strikes, recording five strikeouts... in a 3-0 complete game shutout. So this of course means he used 24 pitches (all strikes) on the other 24 batters. This would be the record.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's wrong. The pitch by pitch data for the Giants ABs in that game does not exist and instead of this being recorded as N/A or blank as it is for other games the system credited the bare minimum of pitches for each outcome: 1 pitch for balls put in play and 3 for strikeouts.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
I think it's wrong. The pitch by pitch data for the Giants ABs in that game does not exist and instead of this being recorded as N/A or blank as it is for other games the system credited the bare minimum of pitches for each outcome: 1 pitch for balls put in play and 3 for strikeouts.

Fulgham himself believes it to be baloney... he believes it to be a little more than double that. He remembers a 72 or 73 pitch shutout in the minors... but that is it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 09:20 PM)
The Rangers are just outstanding. They've built a powerhouse over there. They'll be around for a while.

Hamilton could be gone and their rotation has to prove itself over the long haul, but easily best team in AL right now.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 03:22 AM)
Hamilton could be gone and their rotation has to prove itself over the long haul, but easily best team in AL right now.

Sometimes I feel like not enough people made a big enough deal out of just how close they were to winning the World Series. Even if they lose Hamilton, they have some great trade chips to acquire top talent.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 03:23 AM)
Eh. I don't mind sending him back to Toronto and putting some young arms in the pen.

It's more the fact that he was just a colossal bust for the Sox. I'm thrilled we're not paying him a good amount this year, so that trade was fine.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 09:22 PM)

Back-to-back AL pennants. Sellin' out the park every night. Booming television deal bringing in crazy revenue. Productive farm. Yeah, Hamilton would be a big loss. But I'd be surprised if he doesn't resign. They've been so good to him. I think something will get done.

Jurickson Profar can replace Elvis Andrus, giving them one trade chip.

They've got that abundance of starting pitching, as surely many MLB teams would make a significant bid for Alexi Ogando and put him into their starting rotations.

They've also got Feldman and a super deep minor league system.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 09:22 PM)
Jason Frasor with a 1.59 ERA so far this year. Ugh

You spoke too soon, tonight: 1.2 IP, 3H, 3ER, 1BB, 4K and his ERA balloons to 5.68 and a 1.58 WHIP. Beware the early stats, it can all change with the blink of an eye.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
Back-to-back AL pennants. Sellin' out the park every night. Booming television deal bringing in crazy revenue. Productive farm. Yeah, Hamilton would be a big loss. But I'd be surprised if he doesn't resign. They've been so good to him. I think something will get done.

There is a big risk of signing him long term, both injury and rehab.

New MLB CBA sounds like it will ban performance based incentives in contracts.

Personal-service deals and "milestone" bonus clauses -- such as those used in Albert Pujols' free-agent deal with the Los Angeles Angels this off-season -- reportedly will no longer be allowed.

Teams and agents have been told by Major League Baseball and the Players Association that they will not approve such clauses to future contracts, ESPN reported Friday according to sources of both entities.

The changes are in response to long-term deals signed by Pujols and Washington Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman, both of which include personal-services deals for after their playing careers.

The "milestone" bonus clauses, such as the $3 million Pujols could receive if he reaches 3,000 hits, violate a provision in the collective bargaining agreement that bars contracts incentives based on statistical achievements.

Current contracts will not be affected by the rule change, but no future contract with such clauses will be allowed, Dan Halem, MLB's senior vice president of labor relations, told ESPN.

These changes to the CBA have been under negotiation since last winter, ESPN reported.

So It's early yes, but the National's are looking good. Here's the thing, seems like Rizzo is pretty adamant about 160 IP for Strasburg and that's it. Shutting him down.

If they're in it in September would they really risk shutting their ace down and causing them to miss the playoffs? Or get into the playoffs and not have him starting Game 1? I understand saving his arm for the future and his health, but I'd be pissed if I were a fan and he wasn't starting and the Nats were in the hunt...

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)
So It's early yes, but the National's are looking good. Here's the thing, seems like Rizzo is pretty adamant about 160 IP for Strasburg and that's it. Shutting him down.

If they're in it in September would they really risk shutting their ace down and causing them to miss the playoffs? Or get into the playoffs and not have him starting Game 1? I understand saving his arm for the future and his health, but I'd be pissed if I were a fan and he wasn't starting and the Nats were in the hunt...

Stone actually said he heard Rizzo sound like he was starting to waiver on that limit...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
Stone actually said he heard Rizzo sound like he was starting to waiver on that limit...

I just heard Rizzo last week on MLBNetwork on XM saying he was going to shut him down at 160 no matter what haha.

We shall see...

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)
I just heard Rizzo last week on MLBNetwork on XM saying he was going to shut him down at 160 no matter what haha.

We shall see...

What they need to do is give him a start off every month at least to keep him from building up those innings. That way they might have a little wiggle room at the end of the year. If it takes 170 to get to the playoffs, I defy anyone to prove in advance that those 10 innings are any more risky than the 40 before it, but you don't want him hitting 150 in mid-August and making it a legitimately hard call.

Saw that and was like WHAT?

And we were all ripping FOX for not going away for Humber's performance when it was a 9-0 or 9-1 lead, haha.

Imagine the meltdown in Boston when/if they ultimately lose this one.

Our old friend V. Padilla, Albers, Morales and Aceves all contributing to the blown save. Padilla gave up five by himself.

Tex and Nick Swisher with 6 RBI's each.

Wonder when's the last time a team came back from 9-0 down and two guys had six ribbies each? Or even a time when a team had two guys both put up 6?

Edited by caulfield12