2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,7399346.story

SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco Giants pitcher Guillermo Mota has been suspended 100 games after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance, the office of the commissioner of Major League Baseball announced Monday.

Mota, who received a 50-suspension for a performance-enhancing substance violation on Nov. 1, 2006, tested positive for Clenbuterol, which is on the list of substances that violate MLB's joint drug prevention and treatment program.

"The Giants are disappointed to learn of Guillermo Mota's suspension," the Giants said in a statement. "We support Major League Baseball's drug prevention and treatment program."

The 14-year veteran has made nine appearances with the Giants this season, recording an 0-1 record with a 5.06 earned run average in 10 2/3 innings out of the bullpen. His suspension is effective immediately.

Hudson throws of mound

MLB.com reports Diamondbacks pitcher Daniel Hudson threw off the mound on Tuesday, his first time doing so since landing on the 15-day disabled list due to a shoulder impingement. He threw 30 pitches and mixed in a few breaking balls. "It felt good," Hudson said. "They just told me to stop, but I wanted to keep going. One more step closer. I feel like I could be out there tomorrow, but it's a slow process. I want to make sure everything is right."

Looks like he is tentatively set to return to the mound at the end of May.

Read more: http://www.fantasysp.com/player/mlb/Daniel...y#ixzz1uKtpF6L5

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 8, 2012 -> 08:02 PM)
Josh Hamilton is 4-4 with a 2b and 3 2-run homers. Should have one more chance to bat in the 9th

As I said earlier, the Rangers are going to have a DECISION to make. Josh Hamilton is simply the best all-around player in the AL when he's on the field. And was that a f***ing trade or what? Josh Hamilton for Edison Volquez? lmao. Wow. Jon Daniels for the win.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2012 -> 09:15 PM)
Cardinals offense is just going bonkers in the desert right now

The Carlos Beltran signing is looking like by far the best of the off-season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 8, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
As I said earlier, the Rangers are going to have a DECISION to make. Josh Hamilton is simply the best all-around player in the AL when he's on the field. And was that a f***ing trade or what? Josh Hamilton for Edison Volquez? lmao. Wow. Jon Daniels for the win.

Just like the Berkman move the previous offscreen which was totally under the radar. Quite a few had already given up on his career, at least based on the way he was handling playing for the Yankees.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/6...edinson-volquez

He had that great 2008 season with Cincy back when he was EDISON, but he's never pitched over 108 innings in a season since then and has always been labelled a trouble-maker and enigmatic bundle of unrealized talent.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 8, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)

I want to be like the Cardinals. They way they plug in no-names from the minors and sign old FAs who come in & produce is outstanding. Nobody wanted Berkman last year & the market for Beltran wasn't exactly huge.

Lose Adam Wainwright for the year? No prob, we will win the WS anyway.

Lose Chris Carpenter? No prob, Lynn, Lohse, & Westbrook will keep their ERA under 2.50.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7909337/...ltimore-orioles

Dontrelle Willis drops grievance

Updated: May 9, 2012, 11:57 AM ET

By Jerry Crasnick | ESPN.com

Pitcher Dontrelle Willis has agreed to drop his grievance against the Baltimore Orioles after the team granted his request to pitch as a starter in the minor leagues, his agent told ESPN.com.

Willis, 30, will report to extended spring training in Florida this week and try to build up his innings and work his way to Baltimore, agent Matt Sosnick said. The Orioles signed Willis in late March after he was released by the Philadelphia Phillies late in spring training.

Willis, 30, left Baltimore's Triple-A Norfolk affiliate two weeks ago after a disagreement over whether he should start or relieve. Willis said he received permission to go home, but the Orioles maintained that he left the Tides without management's consent. They placed him on the restricted list, which prevented him from trying to find a job with another club. Willis responded by filing a grievance with the Players Association.

Sosnick said the issue was settled after Tripp Norton, Baltimore's director of baseball administration, intervened in the dispute.

"This is what we suggested to the Orioles in the first place,'' Sosnick said. "I have no idea why it became so acrimonious. Cooler heads finally prevailed.''

Willis, 30, is 72-69 with a 4.17 ERA in parts of nine major league seasons. After capturing the Rookie of the Year award with Florida in 2003 and winning 22 games in 2005, he went to Detroit with Miguel Cabrera as part of an eight-player trade in December 2007. Willis has since struggled with injuries, anxiety-related issues and a decline in velocity, and he's had limited success in stops with Arizona, San Francisco and Cincinnati.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 8, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)

lets see if he can stay healthy. It wouldnt be the first time Beltran started off on fire only to land on the DL

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 9, 2012 -> 11:45 AM)
lets see if he can stay healthy. It wouldnt be the first time Beltran started off on fire only to land on the DL

Well yeah. That caveat goes without saying when it comes to Beltran. Same thing applies to Rafeal Furcal. He's also experiencing a renaissance.