2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

If they're going to do anything different, they should make the middle game of each 3-game interleague series the opposite league's rules. That way a DH doesn't sit for 3 days straight, and if they have back-to-back series in NL parks, it won't be a full week of sitting.

On the larger issue if they should have same rule, either all DH or neither, it should be DH in both. Pitching is so specialized now, even with younger players. The investment in pitching is bigger than ever to risk injury hitting. And pitchers just can't hit well, and it's bad for entertainment. To those who cite the "strategy" of NL baseball, you'll get over it, and the younger fans will never miss what they never had after a couple years.

If you mean they should have the same rule year-round, that's fine, but you can't expect the NL to have pitchers bat during intra-league play and then have a DH for every game in inter-league play. That would be unfair.

I do like the idea of flipping to using the away team's rules though--gives fans of AL teams a chance to see their pitchers (try to) hit at home games.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)
Yeah, they need a nice ballpark like Cleveland, so that when they have a team 3 games out of the lead in their division, they won't be 29th in MLB in attendance.

Cleveland set a sell-out record when their team was a WS contender every year. Then they majorly dropped payroll, lost many star players, and have only been to the playoffs once in 11 seasons, which has really alienated their fanbase. And I bet most fans think this team is not a legit playoff contender, just like last year's team wasn't.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
Cleveland set a sell-out record when their team was a WS contender every year. Then they majorly dropped payroll, lost many star players, and have only been to the playoffs once in 11 seasons, which has really alienated their fanbase. And I bet most fans think this team is not a legit playoff contender, just like last year's team wasn't.

And the Rays are currently 0.5 games ahead of Cleveland in the Wild Card hunt (and a lot farther from their division lead). The only thing that would make the Rays a more legit playoff contender than Cleveland is that they were there more recently.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
If you mean they should have the same rule year-round, that's fine, but you can't expect the NL to have pitchers bat during intra-league play and then have a DH for every game in inter-league play. That would be unfair.

I do like the idea of flipping to using the away team's rules though--gives fans of AL teams a chance to see their pitchers (try to) hit at home games.

No, I said the middle game of each interleague series would be the opposite league's rule. That means if they play 6 interleague series, the AL and NL would still play 9 games with a DH, just not all in one chunk, or a full week at a time. Obvioulsly starting next year, that won't be as much of an issue because it will be spread out throughout the season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 01:11 PM)
And the Rays are currently 0.5 games ahead of Cleveland in the Wild Card hunt (and a lot farther from their division lead). The only thing that would make the Rays a more legit playoff contender than Cleveland is that they were there more recently.

That's the big issue when comparing attendance between the two teams. Tampa has 3 playoff appearances in 4 years, but has never cracked 23.5k average in a season since their inagural year. Cleveland used to have the best attendance in baseball, but bad teams & front office moves have turned the fanbase away. One city has shown that they can & will support a team, while the other city hasn't shown that despite great team success.

Like the Marlins, CLE went through two complete rebuilds/tear-downs.

2002-2003, and after the 2007 team almost went to the World Series (CC, Lee, Victor Martinez, Peralta)

I think you can survive one in a decade, but not two. And then the economic problems in the Rust Belt...and the complete lack of faith in Dolan, who was pretty much another version of Huizenga minus the World Series championship to put on his resume from 1997.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)

Plus for the games played in the NL stadium, the fans of the NL team will get to see the DH on the AL team play (which is a plus if said DH is a star). I like the idea. On a sidenote, despite being a fan of the AL, I prefer the rules of the NL (pitcher hitting).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
It brings chills to my spine to think of how close it was to being the White Sox.

Oh, I thought you were going to say because you are using PEDs in-season...

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)
Plus for the games played in the NL stadium, the fans of the NL team will get to see the DH on the AL team play (which is a plus if said DH is a star). I like the idea. On a sidenote, despite being a fan of the AL, I prefer the rules of the NL (pitcher hitting).

I would prefer the NL rules if the pitchers weren't so goddamn awful at hitting. If they could just be .200 hitters, it would make it so much better. But the game slows down when the 8-9 spot comes up, and it's just way too easy of an out.

Since the difference in the leagues is the DH, I don't get this sentence.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 06:58 PM)
I would prefer the NL rules if the pitchers weren't so goddamn awful at hitting. If they could just be .200 hitters, it would make it so much better. But the game slows down when the 8-9 spot comes up, and it's just way too easy of an out.

Correct. Get this "pure baseball" s*** out of here. Pitchers don't practice hitting, don't give a s*** about hitting, and it's a joke at bat 99% of the time. Oh yay, he can bunt since there is a guy on! What great baseball strategy this is. How entertaining.

It's just an automatic out and the strategy is working around everyone in front to get to the dead spot to end the inning and get out of a jam. That's just not quality baseball.

Same here. It adds another element to managing. Some AL teams put a lot of financial resources in the position of DH.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:29 PM)

Correct. Get this "pure baseball" s*** out of here. Pitchers don't practice hitting, don't give a s*** about hitting, and it's a joke at bat 99% of the time. Oh yay, he can bunt since there is a guy on! What great baseball strategy this is. How entertaining.

It's just an automatic out and the strategy is working around everyone in front to get to the dead spot to end the inning and get out of a jam. That's just not quality baseball.

Zambrano worked on his hitting. Zack Grienke is one of the best bunters in baseball. The Brewers actually used him to PH because he could lay down a bunt.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 12:28 AM)
Zambrano worked on his hitting. Zack Grienke is one of the best bunters in baseball. The Brewers actually used him to PH because he could lay down a bunt.

Well, if you institute the dh everywhere, you could always use the 1 or 2 pitchers on a team that can handle a bat at least somewhat competently for pinch hitters. If they happen to be extremely good hitters, like Zambrano, they can be your dh.

This concept actually gives a manger much more flexibility with their rosters and gives pitchers who like to hit a chance to hit once in a while. Wasn't one of Peavys issues of coming to the American league was that he liked to hit. Peavy is probably a better option than half of our bench right now.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 01:28 AM)

So that's one pitcher who cares and has a career OPS of .635. And another pitcher who is awesome at giving up himself as an out. What about all the other awful hitting pitchers?

http://www.csnchicago.com/07/10/12/Another...amp;feedID=9973

Another MLB team coming to California?

July 10, 2012, 8:17 am

From Comcast SportsNet

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson has given up trying to keep an NBA team and is instead aiming to lure a Major League Baseball franchise to his city.

Johnson and his Think Big Sacramento task force announced a plan Monday to market California's capital city as a possible landing spot for a major league team. A plan for a new arena for the Sacramento Kings collapsed earlier this year when team owners Joe, Gavin and George Maloof backed out, saying it didn't make financial sense for the franchise.

Baseball might be an even longer shot.

There are already two teams in Northern California, and Oakland's Triple-A affiliate plays in Sacramento. The Athletics have their sights set on San Jose, but the San Francisco Giants hold the territorial rights to that area.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 01:28 AM)

And Z keeps hurting his back doing it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
Verlander is dating Kate Upton? This world sucks

Hopefully last night was a sign that having those big ol' boobies in his face every night is gonna hurt his pitching ability & concentration.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 09:29 PM)

Basically put, despite my favorite team playing in the AL, I prefer the rules of the NL (e.g., the pitcher hitting and the strategy that comes along with it).

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 05:46 AM)
Well, if you institute the dh everywhere, you could always use the 1 or 2 pitchers on a team that can handle a bat at least somewhat competently for pinch hitters. If they happen to be extremely good hitters, like Zambrano, they can be your dh.

This concept actually gives a manger much more flexibility with their rosters and gives pitchers who like to hit a chance to hit once in a while. Wasn't one of Peavys issues of coming to the American league was that he liked to hit. Peavy is probably a better option than half of our bench right now.

Lets also remember, that If the NL added the DH, the overall quality of the position would be drastically reduced. It isn't like there are 15 really good hitters rotting away on major league benches/minor leagues.