2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 07:51 AM)
Dan Straily makes his MLB debut for Oakland tonight. Arguably the best minor league pitcher this year. This guy was a 24th RD pick who just exploded in the A's system. Had a 11.4 K/9 to go along with like a 2.3 BB/9 or something this season in AA and AAA, which includes dominating in the PCL.

Which means that he will face us in the upcoming series and shut us down.

The Reds have snuck up and grabbed the best record in the bigs... Pretty good for a team I can't really name many players on besides Votto (who's been injured) and Chapman...

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 05:45 PM)
The Reds have snuck up and grabbed the best record in the bigs... Pretty good for a team I can't really name many players on besides Votto (who's been injured) and Chapman...

Since mid June, Ryan Ludwick is hitting .339 with a 1.118 OPS.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 11:34 PM)
Probably.

Straily's debut was 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 5 K, and in line to get a win in his MLB debut.

hard thrower or finesse pitcher?

>jays just tied it, 3r hr. maybe another a's walkoff

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 01:19 AM)
Finesse. Tops out around 92. I think he has a big curveball. He is a massive strikeout pitcher. Already 181 Ks between minors and pros this year, leads the world.

And still not available in yahoo leagues, unless I'm not doing it right.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 01:40 AM)
And still not available in yahoo leagues, unless I'm not doing it right.

I have been trying to add him in my ESPN league all week. Finally they added him last night, I tried putting him on my roster, and for SOME REASON they are making me wait through the waiver process to get him. So I got nothing for his start tonight, and IF I win the waiver claim, I won't get him until like Sunday. It's bulls***.

EDIT: Oh great, and I am 14/14 on the waiver list. Cool. I doubt I'll get him now.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

Going to the Braves-Astros game tonight. I'm pretty excited to get to see Lucas Harrell pitch for the Astros because he was my first ever interview when I wrote for FutureSox. He was a great guy and a great interview. I've always been a fan since then. Really glad he has been able to find some success at the Major League level (even if he's on the worst team in baseball).

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)
I know baseball "rankings" are pretty much BS anyway, but if you want a laugh, check out these from today's SI.com. They're pretty embarassing, even for SI:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/base...p;sct=hp_bf3_a2

Interestingly, it looks like those are solely based on fangraphs team WAR.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
Interestingly, it looks like those are solely based on fangraphs team WAR.

What they do is that they take the WAR winning percentage and the actual winning percentage and adjust them as the season goes on. As the season progresses, actual winning percentage makes up more and more of the total.

That's how FanGraphs did it last year.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
I know baseball "rankings" are pretty much BS anyway, but if you want a laugh, check out these from today's SI.com. They're pretty embarassing, even for SI:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/base...p;sct=hp_bf3_a2

Wow.

Pierzynski now has the most home runs of any catcher in the game, which nobody could have predicted before the season.

On Brandon McCarthy's wiki page:

Early life

He graduated from Cheyenne Mountain High School in Colorado Springs, Colorado in 2001.

McCarthy was playing baseball for Lamar Community College in Colorado when he was drafted in the 17th round of the 2002 Major League Baseball Draft by the Chicago White Sox. Now he is considered by popular baseball analysts as the "greatest" pitcher in baseball; edging probable Cy Young Award winners.