2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
Also, MLB Network game for Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. In fact, in a 9-game stretch from 8/11 to 8/19, they are/were on MLB Network 4 times, ESPN 3 times, and FOX 1 time.

That has to be some kind of record.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 05:04 PM)
Zzzzzzzzzzz@another perfect game. It just doesn't do anything for me anymore.

Perfect games are cool, especially when the dude is Felix Hernandez and he strikes out 12 guys.

No hitters where the guy walks 6 and strikes out 7 or something stupid like that...those are dumb.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 07:18 PM)
Perfect games are cool, especially when the dude is Felix Hernandez and he strikes out 12 guys.

No hitters where the guy walks 6 and strikes out 7 or something stupid like that...those are dumb.

The "omg, I just witnessed a perfect game" factor is just gone for me. We've seen too many in the last 4 years (not even counting Galaraga's).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 07:43 PM)
The "omg, I just witnessed a perfect game" factor is just gone for me. We've seen too many in the last 4 years (not even counting Galaraga's).

Still only been 23 in history of MLB.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 08:11 PM)
Still only been 23 in history of MLB.

That's fine. And that's my point. What percentage of those have come in the last 4 years? It's just not as big as it once was. The pitching today is the best it's ever been. These arms being produced every year just baffles me. Velocity is way up. Seems like everybody has a + breaking ball to go with that velocity. Babe Ruth would be John Kruk in today's game.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 08:16 PM)
That's fine. And that's my point. What percentage of those have come in the last 4 years? It's just not as big as it once was. The pitching today is the best it's ever been. These arms being produced every year just baffles me. Velocity is way up. Seems like everybody has a + breaking ball to go with that velocity. Babe Ruth would be John Kruk in today's game.

There has been some stud pitchers coming up the last few years, but some guys far from studs have thrown perfect games. I think some of it has to do with how the offensive approach has changed. There are a ton more strikeouts in today's game which lessens the chance of a cheap hit.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 08:21 PM)
There has been some stud pitchers coming up the last few years, but some guys far from studs have thrown perfect games. I think some of it has to do with how the offensive approach has changed. There are a ton more strikeouts in today's game which lessens the chance of a cheap hit.

Scouting and defense have never been better. That also plays a role. Hey, if the perfect game still puts some people in awe, fine. Me? It loses its luster when it happens every year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 08:25 PM)
Scouting and defense have never been better. That also plays a role. Hey, if the perfect game still puts some people in awe, fine. Me? It loses its luster when it happens every year.

Who threw one last year?

I don't know if that's true. I do think there is a great divide between the aces and the very good and there is an even bigger drop off after that. I look at some older players who are suppose to be on the downside like AJ and Jeter and they are having abnormal seasons.

God I think the Nationals are stupid for shutting strasburg down. That will significantly hurt their playoff chances, when the chances of Strasburg getting hurt are slim. In this day in age in baseball if you have a chance to win the series, you take it.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 09:59 PM)
God I think the Nationals are stupid for shutting strasburg down. That will significantly hurt their playoff chances, when the chances of Strasburg getting hurt are slim. In this day in age in baseball if you have a chance to win the series, you take it.

I think that is the view held by most.

Listening to Mitch Williams and Leo Mazzone's comments recently has been great.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 09:27 PM)
Who threw one last year?

Good catch. I had Dallas Braden's perfect game coming in 2011 for some reason. Still, that's 6 since 2009 (7 if you count the Armando Galarraga robbery). Why are we still treating this as some ultra-rare feat? It just isn't anymore.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)
I don't know if that's true. I do think there is a great divide between the aces and the very good and there is an even bigger drop off after that. I look at some older players who are suppose to be on the downside like AJ and Jeter and they are having abnormal seasons.

I disagree. With latin america, cuba, japan, etc, we've never had this many elite-semi-elite pitchers, starters and 'pen, at one time. What made the Braves of the 90's so special? They had 3 #1 starting pitchers. These days, at least one team in each division just about can say they have a dominant 1-2-3 in their rotation. The "nasty boys" from the early 90's were special because no team in the league had that many fireballers in their 'pen. These days, half the league has that.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 09:59 PM)

Agreed. They keep saying he won't pitch in the playoffs and I'm not buying it. If I was the Nationals I'd sit him until about September 15th.

The Nats are starting to run away, getting Stras extra rest would be logical. Jay Mohr's solution kinda makes sense to me: Only start him at home for the rest of the season.

He has to start in the playoffs. It would be pointless not to. If you're trying to be super careful only let him start 1 game a series until you get to the World Series. Then all bets are off. Zimmerman, Gio, and Ejax can get them thru the LDS and LCS if Stras only goes in one of the games per series or is just left off those rosters completely. All four in the Series could be dangerous (and fun as hell to watch)

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 11:07 PM)
Agreed. They keep saying he won't pitch in the playoffs and I'm not buying it. If I was the Nationals I'd sit him until about September 15th.

I don't think that's a good idea either because that gets you, what, 4 starts between coming back and going into the postseason? And he goes from absolutely no stress to some stress in live baseball games to a ton of stress in the postseason.

I think they should handle him like the Sox are handling Sale...give him extra days, but keep him on a semi-regular schedule.

I can see your point about some of these no hitters that are being thrown. I don't get excited about a performance with 5 walks and 2 errors.

That was just pure dominance yesterday that shouldn't just be pushed aside.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)
Interesting counterpoint to what we see in Chicago with Cooper... Apparently the Orioles do NOT want their pitchers throwing a cutter, and have forbade Dylan Bundy from throwing it.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2...the-cutter.html

I believe we've heard Hawk have a similar discussion this year. I think they specifically referred to that regarding Humber...that he was trying to throw an ineffective cutter and Cooper got him to drop it and focus on the slider.

Gavin Floyd is an interesting case, because he may well be one of those guys who gets away from the curveball or even loses control of the curveball at times when he's really using the cutter.