2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/...l#ixzz1eRb4dNlf

C.J. Wilson to visit Marlins

C.J. Wilson is making the rounds, and one of his East Coast stops will include a post-Thanksgiving visit to South Florida to meet with the Marlins, who seem to be throwing out the welcome mat for every available free agent. The Marlins met with Wilson's agent at the G.M. meetings last week in Milwaukee. According to the Los Angeles Times, at least 13 teams are interested in the free agent left-hander.

While the Marlins have spoken to the A's about a possible trade for lefty Gio Gonzalez, Oakland's demands for the Hialeah product -- specifically, some sort of package containing either Logan Morrison or Mike Stanton -- have been flatly rejected. Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle suggests in her blog that the A's, based on their history, could hold out for a premium deal involving prospects for the 27-year-old All-Star (see their 2007 Dan Haren trade), and the last time I looked, the Marlins aren't exactly bursting at the seams with highly coveted prospects.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/...l#ixzz1eRmYuBjQ

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 07:07 PM)
Joe Nathan to Texas.

Guess they're seriious about moving Feliz to the rotation this time.

Apparently Feliz was so distraught about blowing the 9th inning lead in game 6, Washington couldn't send him out there for the 10th, hence the appearance by Darren Oliver. I think the closer/starter decision was a no-brainer at that point.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/...5-million-deal/

Yankees re-sign Freddy Garcia to one-year, $5 million deal

Freddy Garcia and the Yankees have agreed to a one-year, $5 million contract, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com.

Garcia proved to be a tremendous bargain for New York this year, winning a rotation spot in the spring training after signing for a minor-league deal and throwing 147 innings with a 3.62 ERA that was his best since 2001.

As part of that contract Garcia earned $1.5 million in guaranteed money and another $3 million or so in incentives, so he’ll get a light raise and significantly more upfront cash at age 35.

Barring a trade the Yankees’ rotation looks set with Garcia joining CC Sabathia, Ivan Nova, A.J. Burnett, and Phil Hughes

Former top prospect Lastings Milledge is putting together a formidable season with the Aragua Tigres in an effort to parlay his performance into a spring training invite.

Through 27 games this winter, Milledge is batting .324 with 10 doubles in 105 at-bats and a .387 on-base percentage and is among the league leaders in total bases and slugging.

Milledge arrived in Venezuela early to join Aragua’s workouts and has since been the cornerstone of the Tigres’ offense and the go-to guy for Aragua manager Buddy Bailey, who manages Daytona -- the Chicago Cubs’ Class A affiliate in the Florida State League.

Link

Yonder Alonso of Cincinatti Reds organization. Who is this guy and will the Sox make a run at him in exchange for a pitcher? Phil Rogers speculates they might and then goes on to say he would be blocked by Konerko and Dunn. He wonders in the article if the Sox would try and get Konerk to waive his no-trade clause. Checking Alonso's stats it looks like he is a good hitter and is also left handed. Cuban I believe?

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
Yonder Alonso of Cincinatti Reds organization. Who is this guy and will the Sox make a run at him in exchange for a pitcher? Phil Rogers speculates they might and then goes on to say he would be blocked by Konerko and Dunn. He wonders in the article if the Sox would try and get Konerk to waive his no-trade clause. Checking Alonso's stats it looks like he is a good hitter and is also left handed. Cuban I believe?

2008 MLB first year player draft:

7 Yonder Alonso Cincinnati Reds 1B University of Miami

8 Gordon Beckham Chicago White Sox SS University of Georgia

http://danny-knobler.blogs.cbssports.com/m...590096/33562856

Nobody uses fax machines anymore, so the Astros fired Tal Smith by phone.

I suppose they could have sent him a text, or tried to direct-message him on Twitter.

Look, it's hard to blame new owner Jim Crane for wanting a fresh start. As one long-time Astros person said to me Sunday night, Crane needs to look forward rather than back, and needs to start building something new.

Hiring George Postolos to replace Smith as club president and hiring a new general manager to replace the fired Ed Wade (Rangers assistant Thad Levine was a hot name Sunday night) are defensible moves, even inevitable moves.

But why do these firings have to be so messy?

When I heard from a source that Smith had been fired by phone, it brought back memories of August 1992, when Mike Ilitch officially took over the Tigers from Tom Monaghan.

Monaghan's last act, reportedly ordered by Ilitch as part of the same, was to fire club president Bo Schembechler and longtime club executive Jim Campbell.

Campbell, if I remember it right, was fired by phone. Schembechler (I'm sure of this) was fired by fax.

Campbell was 68 years old, and he had been with the Tigers for 43 of those years. Schembechler had been with the Tigers just 2 1/2 years, but he was a legend in the state.

Smith is 78. He just finished his 35th year with the Astros. He doesn't need to be club president anymore. But you'd think a new owner and new president might want to sit down and talk to him about the challenges ahead (who knows more about baseball in Houston?).

You'd even think that they wouldn't mind having him around in some capacity as the Astros celebrate their 50th anniversary in 2012.

Smith was there at the start, when they were the expansion Colt .45s. He was there when the Astrodome opened, and when the Astroturf went in, and he was there when Minute Maid Park opened.

He was there in 2005, when the Astros won the National League title for the only time in their history.

Now he's gone, and that's fine. Nobody deserves a job forever.

But anybody who did all that Tal Smith did deserves more than to be fired on a phone call.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 09:04 AM)
jonmorosi Jon Morosi

Sunday night trade: #Mariners acquire John Jaso from #Rays for reliever Josh Lueke.

26 year old reliever, 6.06 ERA last year in 25 appearances, came to the M's in the Cliff Lee deal, faced rape and sodomy charges before pleading to lesser offense back in 2009.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
Why does the offseason seem to be going so slow? Papelbon is the only big contract I can reme.ber, (at least with a new team). Is it the economy, new CBA?

I think the real answer is the CBA. Teams didn't want to sign players until they knew what the draft/compensation rules were going to be, and players didn't want to sign until they saw that the players' share of income was going up. That put a delay on everything getting started.

Plus, you have the 2 mighty 1b dominoes, and until the "Best player in the game of baseball" is signed somewhere, a lot of teams will keep their options open.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 08:26 AM)
Why does the offseason seem to be going so slow? Papelbon is the only big contract I can reme.ber, (at least with a new team). Is it the economy, new CBA?

Teams were waiting for some clarity from the CBA. It could also be an economy thing too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 08:10 AM)
26 year old reliever, 6.06 ERA last year in 25 appearances, came to the M's in the Cliff Lee deal, faced rape and sodomy charges before pleading to lesser offense back in 2009.

This might come off as offensive (who am I kidding, might?) to some, but how do you plead down to lesser charges of rape and sodomy? Surprise butt sex?

As far as houston Astros go.. They made the right move, with moving to the ALW in 2013, you need fresh blood in there to start building an AL type team, going forward...

On that note, just think how much of a hitting powerhouse Houston could become with a DH in that ballpark.. ouch.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)
As far as houston Astros go.. They made the right move, with moving to the ALW in 2013, you need fresh blood in there to start building an AL type team, going forward...

On that note, just think how much of a hitting powerhouse Houston could become with a DH in that ballpark.. ouch.

They already have their DH in Carlos Lee.