2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Buster_ESPN

Source: Hanley Ramirez's rep asked the Marlins for a restructured deal. MIA upset with this, will now be looking to trade Hanley (more).

@_@

@Buster_ESPN

Marlins upset with Hanley, because given his subpar year in '11, they were greatly surprised he wants more money to change positions.

Edited by Real

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 09:02 PM)
This amount continues to be low enough that it makes sense for more teams, including the Cubs, to be in on it.

I'm scared that the Cubs might jump in and sign Pujols to something like 6 years, 175 million.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
@Buster_ESPN

Source: Hanley Ramirez's rep asked the Marlins for a restructured deal. MIA upset with this, will now be looking to trade Hanley (more).

@_@

@Buster_ESPN

Marlins upset with Hanley, because given his subpar year in '11, they were greatly surprised he wants more money to change positions.

I believe someone made fun of me for my analysis of Hanley being a 'selfish prick' a couple days ago.

Hanley Ramirez is a selfish prick.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
They managed to move guys like Lowell and Delgado. 2 really healthy years would render that movable again.

True, I guess untradeable is a bit strong. If his injury problems continue though, that's another story. To move Lowell, the Marlins had to include Beckett, and Delgado was still a pretty good hitter for the Mets after the trade.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:21 PM)
I'm scared that the Cubs might jump in and sign Pujols to something like 6 years, 175 million.

At his age, the right moe is the biggest total contract possible, even if the deal is longer. He won't get $30 million more when he's 37.

I can't believe that none of these teams are at $250.

In the long run, Guillen thinks the switch will benefit Ramirez for a lot of reasons.

"You're going to be more fresh,'' Guillen said. "You're not going to be doing cutoffs and relays. I think you're going to be stronger, you're going to be better, and it's going to help you out offensively and defensively.

"If you get moved out of your position and [the team plays] Pablo Ozuna or myself [at shortstop], I'd be very mad. But when it's one of the best players in the game right now to help you to win some games ... well ... you should be happy. I don't expect him to be excited about it, but you should understand our point with what we want to do for the team.''

Few managers are better equipped to deal with the inevitable rocky moments than Guillen is. He's so candid and adept at using humor to defuse tense situations, he makes it hard for the tension to fester. Where some managers might be inclined to tap-dance around an issue, Ozzie is always going to charge in with combat boots and battle fatigues. At some point, if Ramirez sulks or loses focus, it will be Guillen's mandate to help him get his mind right.

Jerry Crasnick/ESPN

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 08:01 AM)
Few managers are better equipped to deal with the inevitable rocky moments than Guillen is. He's so candid and adept at using humor to defuse tense situations, he makes it hard for the tension to fester. Where some managers might be inclined to tap-dance around an issue, Ozzie is always going to charge in with combat boots and battle fatigues. At some point, if Ramirez sulks or loses focus, it will be Guillen's mandate to help him get his mind right.[/i]

Jerry Crasnick/ESPN

Yep, Ozzie did such a great job in 2008 of making sure that the clubhouse got along great. He also did a phenomenal job in 2009 of making sure that Dye took the addition of Rios well. :lolhitting

And, lest we forget, the pie throwing shenaningans of Toby Hall...

He also had a difficult time getting AJ and Flowers to cooperate, although 80% of that has to be on Pierzynski's competitive streak.

Javy?

So he can "defuse tension" but he can't hold the players accountable for mistakes...except when they're bench players like Lillibridge and not his favorites like Pierre, Rios and Ramirez?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:45 PM)
At his age, the right moe is the biggest total contract possible, even if the deal is longer. He won't get $30 million more when he's 37.

I can't believe that none of these teams are at $250.

Well, nailed that number.