2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick

The deal includes several club options that could raise value to $37.5M over 8 years. It could top $40M if he hits escalators.

#Rays reach agreement with pitcher Matt Moore on 5-year, guaranteed $14M contract, source says

Very similar to what they did with Evan Longoria. Smart move, as long as his arm holds up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
SPTimesRays Marc Topkin

Annual sals for #Rays Moore on new deal: $1M in '12, $1M ' 13, $1M '14, $3M '15, $5M '16, $7M option '17, $9.5M option '18, $10M option '19

Wow, great deal. Even if his arm falls off tomorrow, there's no year that really cripples their payroll. But if he pitches anywhere near to his potential, that's possibly the contract of the decade.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
Wow, great deal. Even if his arm falls off tomorrow, there's no year that really cripples their payroll. But if he pitches anywhere near to his potential, that's possibly the contract of the decade.

They could get 6 years of Moore for 2 years of Buehrle.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)
Jon_Heyman Jon Heyman

#dbacks making progress on trevor cahill talks. 1st reported by @Gambo620

Rosenthal is saying Jarrod Parker & Colin Cowgill are potentially included in the trade. I'm not a prospect guy, but those names sound familiar. Aren't they some of the DBacks top prospects?

I'm not a big fan of Cahill, I think his 2010 season had a bit of smoke & mirrors tint to it.

Rosenthal is saying Jarrod Parker & Colin Cowgill are potentially included in the trade. I'm not a prospect guy, but those names sound familiar. Aren't they some of the DBacks top prospects?

I'm not a big fan of Cahill, I think his 2010 season had a bit of smoke & mirrors tint to it.

Even more reason for Billy to deal him, for what some fool (Towers) is willing to give up.

Edited by VictoryMC98

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)

The hitters were so baffled by his resemblance to Bobby Hill that they just couldn't hit the ball with any authority...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AnS4..._marlins_120811

Can't believe that the Marlins were willing to offer $275 million for Pujols.

Crazy.

Maybe Albert doesn't like Mr. Guillen so much (or he values more stable clubhouse environments), because supposedly the Cards were offering $210 and he got an extra $44 million for his charity to go to LA.

But still left another $21 million on the table.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
I didn't realize how stacked the DBacks were with pitching prospects. Dang. I like Cahill, good trade for them. They're a strong team.

Cahill's high GB rate is a good fit for that park. However, that Arizona infield isn't the 2010 Oakland defense. Cahill was great in 2010 because the A's had a hell of a infield defense to support his high GB rates.

Arizona's rotation is looking good, Cahill is a pretty good pitcher for a #3 guy.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 03:40 PM)
I'm VictoryMC98 and I approve this Message!

5 years ago they were the laughing stock of baseball.. now the envy.

I used to give most of the credit to all of the top 10 draft picks the Rays had. Those picks definitely made it easier, and they suffered through tons of awful seasons, but they have done so much else right, they deserve tons of credit. Plus, the Pirates & Royals have had the same top picks and they both still suck ass.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)
I used to give most of the credit to all of the top 10 draft picks the Rays had. Those picks definitely made it easier, and they suffered through tons of awful seasons, but they have done so much else right, they deserve tons of credit. Plus, the Pirates & Royals have had the same top picks and they both still suck ass.

Other than Longoria, Price and Upton (the latter being a perpetual underachiever), their entire roster during the last 4 years has consisted of late or non first-round picks all together. And I mean guys that they've drafted. To get to the post-season three times in four years with their payroll in that division? That's incredible scouting, keen shrewdness and mastering the art of cornering the bargain-basement market.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 12:45 AM)
Other than Longoria, Price and Upton (the latter being a perpetual underachiever), their entire roster during the last 4 years has consisted of late or non first-round picks all together. And I mean guys that they've drafted. To get to the post-season three times in four years with their payroll in that division? That's incredible scouting, keen shrewdness and mastering the art of cornering the bargain-basement market.

I still have no idea how they made the playoffs last season...I had the Jays winning more games than the Rays...they lost Crawford, Pena, their entire bullpen, and replaced everything in-house, basically.

Crazy that they managed to come back and win that division, Red Sox collapse or no collapse.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 12:52 AM)
I still have no idea how they made the playoffs last season...I had the Jays winning more games than the Rays...they lost Crawford, Pena, their entire bullpen, and replaced everything in-house, basically.

Crazy that they managed to come back and win that division, Red Sox collapse or no collapse.

Proof that scouting acumen and money into development works. They may not draft top 10 anymore, and they may not have success with every top 10 draft pick, but they will find talent in the draft and get it MLB ready.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 12:52 AM)

There was obviously some luck and good fortune involved. But on paper, they never should've been in striking distance in the first place.