2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
Furcal back to Cardinals for 2 years. Cross them off the list for Alexei.

Why are people looking at replacing Alexei? We have him for the next 5 seasons at a pretty fair price, and we have literally no foreseeable SS talent in our minor league system that could take over.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)
Why are people looking at replacing Alexei? We have him for the next 5 seasons at a pretty fair price, and we have literally no foreseeable SS talent in our minor league system that could take over.

It's not that people want to replace Alexei, it's that he's the most valuable trading chip outside of the young guys.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)
Aramis Ramirez signs with the Brewers. It's going to be a really nice to get to root for him after having to root against him for 8 years. He's going to be a monster in that park, as he lost more homers than anyone at Wrigley with the wind blowing in.

3 year contract, pending physical.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
Aramis Ramirez signs with the Brewers. It's going to be a really nice to get to root for him after having to root against him for 8 years. He's going to be a monster in that park, as he lost more homers than anyone at Wrigley with the wind blowing in.

This makes me happy

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)

A great example of a player that numbers don't mean as much for...

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)

Actually, there's good reason to believe the opposite, that Ramirez has benefitted quite a bit from Wrigley. .972 home OPS over the last 4 seasons, and if park dimensions are calculated alone (not accounting for wind) he'd lose 6 HR's out fo the 16 he hit at Wrigley last year just from the fence position.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
I'm guessing that signing, plus the Krod arb, means no Prince.

Haudricourt Tom

#Brewers GM Doug Melvin confirms that Ramirez signing officially puts him out on Prince Fielder: "I think Scott (Boras) understand that."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick

#Brewers have acquired reliever Jose Veras from #Pirates in a trade for 3B Casey McGehee.

I think McGehee was joining Braun in whatever he was taking. Career minor-leaguer for the Cubs, comes to Milwaukee, has huge season and a half, then forgets how to hit a baseball again.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

Saunders last two seasons: 21-30, 4.07 ERA, 415.1 IP. Buerhle last two seasons: 26-22, 3.94 ERA, 415.2 IP. #Diamondbacks #MLB

Saunders was non-tendered. Buehrle was tendered hardcore.

Average fWAR the last 3 years:

Mark Buehrle: 3.5

Joe Saunders: 1.3

Mark Buehrle has been a $15 million fangraphs value player almost every year of his career. Saunders, abouta $5 million player.

ERA is not telling even a fraction of the story here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)
Actually, there's good reason to believe the opposite, that Ramirez has benefitted quite a bit from Wrigley. .972 home OPS over the last 4 seasons, and if park dimensions are calculated alone (not accounting for wind) he'd lose 6 HR's out fo the 16 he hit at Wrigley last year just from the fence position.

And I'll use the good old "eye test" here, as in the games I watched, he was the only consistent Cubs player to fly out to the warning track when wind was howling in.