2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 06:47 PM)
Cubs did bid, which is shocking to me after the Dice-K disaster in Boston

I bet their bid is extremely low, like probably half of the winning bid, if not less. Just like with the big free agents, I feel like Theo is just trying to keep the Cubs name out there, while not making any huge moves/signings that could hurt them in the near future.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 06:51 PM)
I bet their bid is extremely low, like probably half of the winning bid, if not less. Just like with the big free agents, I feel like Theo is just trying to keep the Cubs name out there, while not making any huge moves/signings that could hurt them in the near future.

They just dropped $20 million on a McDonalds and a parking lot.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Look at the Astros selling high on a closer. With Bard in the rotation, and Papelbon gone, the BoSox definitely needed the bullpen help. I doubt he would close in Boston though.

That is a very good trade for the Stros.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 07:36 AM)
That is a very good trade for the Stros.

A first year arb-eligible player with a ton of talent but who has struggled and been hurt? Yeah, it's a reasonable gamble for the Stros but I wouldn't call it a "Very good trade" yet. It's the kind of trade the Stros should be making. It'd be like Beckham getting hurt for most of this year, then some team trading for him.

The real worry is that if he doesn't shine through this year, he rapidly becomes a DFA candidate.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/...bility-partner/

Josh Hamilton is looking for a new “accountability partner”

Aaron Gleeman

Dec 15, 2011, 10:47 AM EST

Among other duties Johnny Narron has served as Josh Hamilton‘s “accountability partner” since 2009, but he left the team last month to become the Brewers’ new hitting coach and now the Rangers are searching for a new person to keep the former MVP in line on the road.

“We’re working on it,” Hamilton told Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas. “I’m sure you’ll hear more in the next few days.”

As for what exactly an “accountability partner” entails, Jean-Jacques Taylor of ESPN Dallas offered some details in a column earlier this month:

Hamilton is a 30-year-old man with a wife and four kids. Ultimately, he’s responsible for his own actions. But anyone who has ever been an addict or alcoholic, or had an addict or alcoholic in their immediate family, knows staying clean requires more than good intentions or catchy slogans like, “Just say no.”

Narron helped keep Hamilton’s mind right when he was in a slump. Or a funk. He was the guy in the adjoining hotel room on the road that Hamilton could talk to when the slugger wanted to discuss God’s plan for his life at 2 a.m. Or when the devil urged Hamilton to take a drink or use drugs.

It won’t make as many headlines as a new closer or even a backup infielder, but finding a new “accountability partner” for Hamilton could be the most important addition of the Rangers’ offseason.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 08:39 AM)
ChiTribRogers Phil Rogers

Reports are saying that #Blue Jays have won Yu Darvish bidding. Most think the bid was more than the $51 mil for Daisuke.

Seriously, good luck keeping your job AA if that report is true.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/baltimo...partment-121611

Dan Duquette is taking the Orioles in a dramatic new direction, one that will renew the debate over the value of scouting vs. statistical analysis in baseball.

Duquette, the team’s new general manager, essentially dissolved the Orioles’ professional scouting department Thursday, reassigning six pro scouts to the amateur side.

Dave Engle and Bruce Kison will remain major-league scouts, and the Orioles will make greater use of video and statistical analysis in scouting the majors, Duquette said.

“As you get more video and statistical analysis on a player, the longer they’re in professional baseball, it’s not as vital to have them seen by eyes, professional eyes,” Duquette said. “Players establish a record of their work.

“Some of the trends that the statistics track, they’re not trends that professional scouts would normally see in a short look.”

The six scouts who were reassigned are Todd Frohwirth, Jim Howard, James Keller, Ted Lekas, Lee MacPhail IV and Jim Thrift.

The scouts might have little choice but to accept their reassignments; it will be difficult for them to find new jobs at this time of year.

While Duquette indicated that the changes will reinforce the Orioles’ amateur scouting department, the scouts view the reassignments as little other than demotions, sources say.

“It’s a more efficient way to structure the Orioles, better for identifying talent and utilizing people’s strengths to help the team,” Duquette said.