2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 30, 2011 -> 07:17 PM)
That's kind of ridiculous...

I imagine he's catering to the hardcore sabermetricians who want to do actual statistical research and not just evaluate players for the hell of it.

I would love to have a sabermetrics related stats class at the college level though. That'd be a class worth taking (I'm paying the tuition for 18 credit hours anyways).

I think the big selling point is the 2 hour one-on-one workshop with Tango himself via internet/phone. And yeah; he's definitely going for the hardcore sabermetricians, he basically says so with his snarky pitch. This is clearly for people who are looking to enter the field as a career choice.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 30, 2011 -> 07:22 PM)
I think the big selling point is the 2 hour one-on-one workshop with Tango himself via internet/phone. And yeah; he's definitely going for the hardcore sabermetricians, he basically says so with his snarky pitch. This is clearly for people who are looking to enter the field as a career choice.

Apparently, registration is half-full according to Tango.

So there are definitely people interested in dishing out the money.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 30, 2011 -> 07:05 PM)
I remember when Ozzie started Jones in center instead of Rios one game (Rios started in right) because they had a vote inside the clubhouse as to who the best OF on the team is. Jones won (probably because he had gold gloves) and Ozzie stupidly went with it. Thank god he's no longer the manager.

0_o

This happened?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 30, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
Oh please, it seems everyone is exploiting that site and UZR these days and it's f***ing annoying. When Lichtman developed the statistic he sure as s*** didn't mean for it to be used on sample sizes as small as Jones': ~ 1200 INN in the outfield over the past three seasons. UZR is meant to judge starting position players over a 3000+ INN sample typically over a 3 year span. Any less or spread over too many seasons and you start to develop anomalies and inaccuracies that aren't weeded out by sample size.

Well then show me how he is "barely an OF", because when he played for us, he looked fine out there.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 30, 2011 -> 07:11 PM)
Amen to that. Speaking of quantitative analysis: did you see that Tom Tango is starting up online classes? A grand for early bird's and $1495 after that, I can't imagine find too many takers at that price (perhaps I'm just naive or cheap) but it's intriguing none the less.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 30, 2011 -> 07:17 PM)
That's kind of ridiculous...

I imagine he's catering to the hardcore sabermetricians who want to do actual statistical research and not just evaluate players for the hell of it.

I would love to have a sabermetrics related stats class at the college level though. That'd be a class worth taking (I'm paying the tuition for 18 credit hours anyways).

EDIT: After looking at http://tangotiger.net/teaching.html, it looks like there will be a decent amount of CS in it (data mining is a 400 level CS topic at UIUC). Looks like this is the kind of class that can prep you for a job on same ML club. A lot of the clubs want you to be able to gather all their data for them.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 30, 2011 -> 07:22 PM)

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 30, 2011 -> 07:36 PM)
Apparently, registration is half-full according to Tango.

So there are definitely people interested in dishing out the money.

Holy s***, I think I need to do this. If even one of you says you're down, then I'm down immediately. Even at $1500. If I can get in at $1,000 still...no, haven't looked, don't care...then that saves me $500.

PM me if you actually want to do this. Mostly for vanity purposes, but this could actually make and meet several new year resolutions, if you actually do that kind of thing.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
Holy s***, I think I need to do this. If even one of you says you're down, then I'm down immediately. Even at $1500. If I can get in at $1,000 still...no, haven't looked, don't care...then that saves me $500.

PM me if you actually want to do this. Mostly for vanity purposes, but this could actually make and meet several new year resolutions, if you actually do that kind of thing.

I think I have enough classes on my hands. lol

I'd love to know how to do this kind of stuff (somewhat fits into my major with the CS stuff), but I don't think I have the time or the money to do it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)

It would be interesting to see if some of the Clubs would send any of their employees to take this class. I'm sure most teams would think they are above this sort of thing, but at that price, it's a no-doubter for someone working in or near a MLB FO.

Additionally, one would think having this on your resume would be a big difference-maker for getting an internship or entry-level position. If you consider how much higher-level education actually costs, this is peanuts. BTW, for anyone that might be interested, I did see that the Orioles were hiring an analytics intern.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)
Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Coco Crisp is signing with Oakland, for a $6m salary in 2012, a $7m salary in '13, a club option of $7.5m for '14, with a $1 m. buyout.

I'm shaking my head a bit at this one...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

In any case, many in industry believe that Boras wants opt-out for Prince. From their perspective, makes all the sense in the world. #MLB

Yeah, for the team that signs him. In 3-4 years, I think we're going to look at Fielder very differently.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 10:22 PM)
He created a superstar kid?

Cecil Fielder hit a wall after he reached 33 and was out of baseball 2 years later. Mo Vaughn's story was somewhat similar.

Not saying it will happen to Prince, but there's a trend where fat sluggers tend to decline in their early 30s.

Edited by chw42

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/1/4/2681175/t...fernando-rodney

Report: Rays Close To Signing Reliever Fernando Rodney

DETROIT: Fernando Rodney #56 of Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim pitches in the ninth inning against the Detroit Tigers during the game on at Comerica Park in Detroit, Michigan. The Tigers defeated the Angels 3-2. (Photo by Leon Halip/Getty Images)

Bookmark and Share

By Rob Neyer - National Baseball Editor

According to an AP report from the Dominican Republic, erstwhile closer and current free agent Fernando Rodney is on the verge of signing a one-year deal to pitch for the Tampa Bay Rays.

Follow @sbnbaseball on Twitter, and Like Baseball Nation on Facebook.

Jan 4, 2012 - According to Marc Topkin -- and yes, a Google translation that might or might not be smarter than the average Rosetta Stone disc -- the only thing standing between free agent Fernando Rodney and a seven-figure contract with the Tampa Bay Rays is a physical examination. Which figures to be routine, since Rodney's been pitching effectively in the Dominican Winter League. Topkin:

Rodney, who turns 35 in March, told an Associated Press reporter in the Dominican Republic last week he has agreed to a one-year contract with the Rays for slightly more than $2 million.

--snip--

Rodney spoke to the AP reporter as if the deal was complete. "It's confirmed, (it) will be published in January if God permits," he said, based on a Google translation of his quotes. "I signed for one year with Tampa Bay to keep working hard and see if God gives me something better."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
I can't believe he is still hanging on

Kevin_Goldstein Kevin Goldstein

Also to the Dodgers is former White Sox 3B prospect Josh Fields.

Thought he was in Japan last year. Must have done OK out there.