2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_...cording-reports

The Los Angeles Angels made a major splash in free agency at the winter meetings, but Saturday they locked up one of their own.

More on the Angels

For more news, notes and analysis of the Angels, check out Mark Saxon's blog.

The team and second baseman Howie Kendrick have reached agreement on a four-year contract extension worth $33.5 million, according to multiple reports.

Kendrick, 28, was coming off his finest major league season, in which he batted .285 with 18 home runs and a .464 slugging percentage and made the American League All-Star team.

Kendrick was going into his final season of arbitration eligibility, so the deal buys out three seasons of his free agency.

Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto, who signed slugger Albert Pujols and ace left-hander C.J. Wilson for more than $320 million combined earlier this winter, has also opened preliminary discussions with Kendrick's double-play partner, Erick Aybar, on a multiyear extension.

Kendrick was one of the Angels' brightest prospects through the minor leagues, where he batted .360, but his progress in the majors was far from linear. The team demoted him to Triple-A midway through the 2009 season.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
True. And you can't say that he makes up for it with his glove either.

He'll clearly get a couple offers for minor league contracts with spring training invites, but it's the major league deal that he would likely want to get.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 06:53 AM)
Reds Sign Madson

Only 1 year at 8.5 million? That's a steep drop from the 4/44 he was supposedly close to signing last year. Looks like Boras botched this one. Anyway, great deal for the Reds. They've had quite an off-season.

Wow, sucks for Madson. He was due for a big payday, but only got 1/5 of the contract Philly had on the table.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/ange..._medium=twitter

The Angels avoided arbitration with first baseman Kendrys Morales, tweets Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times. Morales hasn't appeared in the Majors since May 29th, 2010, when he broke his ankle in a home plate celebration. The Scott Boras client's salary is expected to remain close to $3MM.

sandiegonewz San Diego News

Padres sale to Moorad delayed for now: Moorad says he is hopeful sale can be concluded in "near-term." bit.ly/A86ehq

BillShaikin Bill Shaikin

Selig: More financial info needed before vote on #Padres/Moorad. "There are a lot of issues. This was about economics .. not personalities."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
sandiegonewz San Diego News

Padres sale to Moorad delayed for now: Moorad says he is hopeful sale can be concluded in "near-term." bit.ly/A86ehq

BillShaikin Bill Shaikin

Selig: More financial info needed before vote on #Padres/Moorad. "There are a lot of issues. This was about economics .. not personalities."

According to Wikipedia, Moorad already owns part of the Diamondbacks. He can (partially) own both?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
JonHeymanCBS Jon Heyman

#redsox and vicente padilla are moving toward a deal

One more reason to hate both of them.

Slightly bummed that Luke Scott signed with the Rays today. Was hoping that he was on our radar as the last OF/Dunn insurance/LHPH, but I imagine that $5M + incentives was a bit steep for those duties, given our budget.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised he was able to get so much coming off last season, but lefties with power will always get paid, I suppose.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 05:11 PM)
Slightly bummed that Luke Scott signed with the Rays today. Was hoping that he was on our radar as the last OF/Dunn insurance/LHPH, but I imagine that $5M + incentives was a bit steep for those duties, given our budget.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised he was able to get so much coming off last season, but lefties with power will always get paid, I suppose.

We weren't signing another DH or OF. Just no way.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)
We weren't signing another DH or OF. Just no way.

Also, f*** Luke Scott. Signing him would have pissed me off more than anything else that's transpired in the past year and I might actually renounce the Sox while he was on the team.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 08:02 PM)
Also, f*** Luke Scott. Signing him would have pissed me off more than anything else that's transpired in the past year and I might actually renounce the Sox while he was on the team.

Please tell me your hate for Luke Scott isn't inspired by the Obama thing?