2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick

The #Athletics are shopping 1B Brandon Allen, says a BB source. No room for him with all the other young bats they've added.

jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick

Allen has some pop, but he hit only .205 w/ 3 HRs in 146 ABs after joining #Athletics from #Dbacks in Brad Ziegler trade.

This year's Verducci effect article is out. I'll post this in the Pale Hose catch all also, since 2 Sox pitchers show up on it.

Pitcher, Team 2011 Age IP Increase

Derek Holland, Tex 24 222 +71 1/3*

Dylan Axelrod, CWS 25 169 1/3 +60

Jaime Garcia, St.L 24 220 1/3 +57

Liam Hendriks, Minn. 22 162 2/3 +54

Eric Surkamp, SF 23 175 +44*

Chris Schwinden, NYM 24 169 2/3 +43*

Yovani Gallardo, Mil. 25 226.1 +41 1/3*

Nathan Eovaldi, LAD 21 137 2/3 +39 1/3

Daniel Hudson, Ariz. 24 227 1/3 +38 2/3

Jeremy Hellickson, TB 24 193 +37 1/3

Mike Leake, Cin. 23 175 +36 2/3

Matt Harrison, Tex 25 204 +36 1/3*

Michael Pineda, Sea 22 171 +31 2/3

Zach Stewart, CWS 24 168 +31 2/3

* Previous high occurred prior to 2010

After all, he’s (Prince Fielder) done his time in the market where everything must go right in order to contend. And he has his suitors in Seattle, Washington, maybe Chicago (North Side), Miami, Baltimore and Toronto. Through no fault of his own, it appears his timing is simply crummy. The Yankees and Red Sox are both set at first base and perhaps diving for the luxury tax threshold. The Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Mets are utter wrecks financially. The Chicago White Sox are, well, I don’t know what they are. The Angels opted for Pujols.

Passan/yahoosports.com

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 07:09 AM)
Did KW run over Passan and Keith Law's dogs one evening.

Hey I'm just as confused as he is. I don't know what the White Sox are either.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 05:22 PM)
Talk about a team that doesn't have clear direction right now...

I'd imagine they are trying to move salary in order to sign Oswalt. Not sure who they would have had playing SS though. Aviles? Iglesias with his no offense?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 04:56 PM)
And now talks are dying supposedly.

Maybe the Red Sox now realized they need a SS worthy of starting?

Deal is done now supposedly.

The Red Sox have traded shortstop Marco Scutaro to the Rockies, according to an ESPN.com report on Saturday.

The Red Sox received right-handed pitcher Clayton Mortensen in return. Mortensen, 26, is a former first-round sandwich pick in 2007 by St. Louis, who sent Mortensen to Oakland in the deal for outfielder Matt Holliday.

Via ESPN.com

Good deal for Fielder being able to opt out after 3 years. I'm guessing he probably will unless Stras stays healthy, Harper can produce, and the team stays in contention.

Kudos for the Nationals for trying. Orioles fans can't be happy.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/...eague-contract/

Mariners sign Kevin Millwood to minor league contract

Drew Silva

Jan 22, 2012, 6:32 PM EST

6 Comments

kevin millwood getty Getty Images

The Mariners have added a touch of gray to their otherwise-under-30 starting rotation depth chart.

According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, Seattle agreed to a minor league contract on Sunday evening with veteran righty Kevin Millwood.

The deal comes with an invitation to spring training, where Millwood will get a legitimate chance at claiming a spot as the club’s third, fourth or fifth starter. (It gets kind of murky there beyond Felix Hernandez and Jason Vargas).

Millwood, 37, posted a surprising 3.98 ERA and 1.22 WHIP in nine starts for the Rockies last season, issuing only eight walks in 54 1/3 innings. He’ll challenge Japanese right-hander Hisashi Iwakuma and youngsters Blake Beavan, Hector Noesi and Charlie Furbush down in Mariners camp.