2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/02/...A0sJ/story.html

Oil Can Boyd says he used cocaine with Red Sox

Says was under influence in two-thirds of his games

By Nick Cafardo

2011 File/Jim Davis/Globe Staff

Former Red Sox Dennis “Oil Can’’ Boyd said he used cocaine in “two-thirds’’ of the games he pitched during his major league career.

FORT MYERS, Fla. - Dennis “Oil Can’’ Boyd’s new tell-all book, “They Call Me Oil Can: My Life in Baseball,’’ which hits bookstores in June, should be a blockbuster if the stories are similar to what the former Red Sox pitcher told WBZ’s Jon Miller yesterday at JetBlue Park.

Boyd, who spent eight of his 10 major league seasons with the Red Sox, admitted he was under the influence of cocaine two-thirds of the time he was on the mound.

“Oh yeah, at every ballpark,’’ he said. “There wasn’t one ballpark that I probably didn’t stay up all night, until four or five in the morning, and the same thing is still in your system. It’s not like you have time to go do it while in the game, which I had done that.

“Some of the best games I’ve ever, ever pitched in the major leagues I stayed up all night; I’d say two-thirds of them,’’ said Boyd. “If I had went to bed, I would have won 150 ballgames in the time span that I played. I feel like my career was cut short for a lot of reasons, but I wasn’t doing anything that hundreds of ballplayers weren’t doing at the time; because that’s how I learned it.

“It was something that I had to deal with personally and I succumbed. I lived through my life and I feel good about myself. I have no regrets about what I did or said about anything that I said or did. I’m a stand-up person and I came from a quality background of people.’’

Boyd, who will paint a picture of support and disdain for some of his former Red Sox teammates in his book, said, “All of them didn’t rally around me. All of them knew and the ones that cared came to me. The Dwight Evanses and Bill Buckners . . . it was the veteran ballplayers. Some guys lived it; they knew what you were doing, and the only way they knew was they had to have tried it, too.’’

Boyd contends he was blackballed from baseball and his career cut short because he was different.

“The reason I caught the deep end to it is because I’m black. The bottom line is the game carries a lot of bigotry, and that was an easy way for them to do it,’’ Boyd said. “If I wasn’t outspoken and a so-called ‘proud black man,’ maybe I would have gotten the empathy and sympathy like other ballplayers got that I didn’t get; like Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Steve Howe. I can name 50 people that got third and fourth chances all because they weren’t outspoken black individuals.’’

How did he get away with using cocaine? He was never tested.

“I never had a drug test as long as I played baseball,’’ he said. “I was told that, yeah, if you don’t stop doing this we’re going to put you into rehab, and I told them . . . I’m going to do what I have to do, I have to win ballgames. We’ll talk about that in the offseason, right now I have to win ballgames.’’

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
Is there a way to figure out how many bunt singles Babe Ruth had in his career? I had a guy ask me, and I have no idea how I'd find that.

1) Elias Sports Bureau would probably find that s***, because they work with the devil.

2) It's probably 0, seeing as Ruth would be burned at the stake for witchcraft if he ever accomplished one.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 06:54 AM)
1) Elias Sports Bureau would probably find that s***, because they work with the devil.

2) It's probably 0, seeing as Ruth would be burned at the stake for witchcraft if he ever accomplished one.

He most definitely had bunt singles in his career.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 07:23 AM)
He most definitely had bunt singles in his career.

Ruth was faster than one would think. He stole home (I think) 10 times. Granted that those were mainly on double steals, it's still impressive.

How about double plays he started from the outfield? Is that out there?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
Is there a way to figure out how many bunt singles Babe Ruth had in his career? I had a guy ask me, and I have no idea how I'd find that.

According to Baseball Reference, Ruth had 113 sacrifice hits. In 1930, he led the league with 49 homers, a 1.225 OPS, and was 5th with 21 sacrifices.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 06:54 AM)

Actually they probably couldn't. Most of what we know about the old statistics literally come from guys scouring the old box scores. That is why once in a while you'll see a really old timers hit total change for example. Bunt singles unfortunately aren't something that is recorded in the box.

I haven't looked in to it, but if they have stats for H, and 2B, and 3B, and HR, then couldn't you just add up all the 2B, 3B, and HR, and subtract that from his H total? Maybe they don't have all those totals recorded for him, but that would be my first idea.

EDIT: Nevermind I see he said "BUNT" singles. I'm a big dummy.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

JonHeymanCBS Jon Heyman

#indians and jon garland are in talks. assist from @The_Real_Rickli, who said on Sat there's a deal, pending physical

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

Yes, @THE_REAL_RICKLI was the first one to say that #Indians had minor-league deal with Garland, pending physical. #MLB

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

Garland underwent season-ending shoulder surgery last July 11. Recovery was expected to be at least six months. #Indians #MLB

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 12, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
Phil Rogers argues that the Marlins current spending binge is not only unsupportable in the long term (which I think we all had guessed), but that it might be a prelude to Loria trying to sell the Marlins in a year or two, and buying the Mets after cashing out from the Marlins.

Man, what will Ozzie and Greg think when Loria strips down and sells off the team?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)
Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Jon Garland is getting a minor-league deal w/CLE, with lots of incentives built in. He'll have a good chance to make rotation, if healthy.

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Garland still needs to pass his physical before his deal with the Indians becomes official.