2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 10:17 PM)
I am not crazy about that team right now. Considering how much they have spent in the last 2-4 years, I think they are going to struggle to make the playoffs.

Theo is like the Italian cruise ship captain. Crash the ship, but jump off board before everyone else struggles to find lifeboats.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)
Theo is like the Italian cruise ship captain. Crash the ship, but jump off board before everyone else struggles to find lifeboats.
I think you've got better references you can use that are much more well established. The "Calipari" move, perhaps.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 11:17 PM)
I am not crazy about that team right now. Considering how much they have spent in the last 2-4 years, I think they are going to struggle to make the playoffs.

They're like the other Sox in that they have a whole lot of guys with major room for improvement over last year. They have a higher ceiling than our Sox I'd say, but there's also no guarantee of anything, and they're facing tougher competition for that division.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
Giants lock up Cain to a 5-year deal, worth around $100 million.

Well, that's the easy one.

Takes 1 pitcher off the market next offseason if we're looking to move Floyd.

For an interesting comparison...the last 4 years, Cain has been worth 15.9 WAR, John Danks has been worth 15.6 WAR (obviously Cain will have the better ERA because of the NL and the much bigger ballpark). Cain has been up for longer so he has more career WAR, but these 2 were going to hit FA at the same time, Danks is 6 months younger, they've put up similar WAR, Danks is a lefty, and he's getting what, $35 million less over 5 years?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
Giants lock up Cain to a 5-year deal, worth around $100 million.

ESPN said it was for $112.5 million. That's crazy money for him IMO...

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 04:41 PM)
ESPN said it was for $112.5 million. That's crazy money for him IMO...

So Cain is getting paid 172% of what Danks is getting paid over the next 5 years, assuming that covers this year.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 11:56 PM)
I drafted Bailey in all 4 of my yahoo teams smh...who do you all think takes the closer job? Yahoo and a few other sites I went to see, to think its gonna be Melancon but Jon Heyman thinks it'll be Aceves.

I think they'll give Aceves the "Addison Reed" treatment...he'll have to open the season strong to earn the spot.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 10:56 PM)
I drafted Bailey in all 4 of my yahoo teams smh...who do you all think takes the closer job? Yahoo and a few other sites I went to see, to think its gonna be Melancon but Jon Heyman thinks it'll be Aceves.

Closers are dropping like flies and the season hasn't started yet. Madson, Soria, Bailey, Storen and now I'm reading Kyle Farnsworth is probably starting the year on the DL.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 10:56 PM)

Why in the world would you do that? It was a guarantee he would get injured, even the "experts" were warning about that.

Marlins Park, which followed the model set in Houston, is the only retractable-roof sports venue in the state and one of fewer than 50 in the world. The roof has three panels — the two lower panels span 530 feet and the upper panel spans 566 feet — that role along rails similar to a train.

To close, the roof slides east. When it’s open, it rests above the West Plaza, which is the size of 3 1/2 football fields and serves as an entertainment area with music and other activities before and after games.

High efficiency

Driven by 76 high-efficiency electric motors, the roof is considered one of the fastest, sliding along at 39 feet per minute, thanks to 44 transporters with 96 total wheels. It uses less than $10 worth of electricity to open and close and takes roughly 13 minutes to open and close.

The roof mechanization system is designed to travel about 2,000 miles throughout its life — a flight from Miami to Denver or a little more than four round trips to Havana.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/04/2730...l#storylink=cpy

Date and target of Ozzie Guillen's first in-season beef May 12, Jeffrey Loria***April 4, The leaping marlins on the home run feature at the new Miami stadium April 27, Carlos Zambrano

Bigger number: Ichiro hits or Adam Dunn strikeouts Tie, 199 Ichiro, 201-199 Ichiro, 202-154

Most offensive Tweeter Oney Guillen***Ozzie's first cousin, twice removed***Jose Canseco

Sox picked 5th twice, and 4th once, yikes, oh well....nothing new this offseason.

Dunn dark-horse candidate for most homers, Addison Reed for AL ROY

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Aj.g...dictions_040412

Edited by caulfield12