2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty funny that former Sox RF Ryan Sweeney broke Papa Grande's save string in DET and now beat ex-Sox Santos in TOR.

Ouch.

Meanwhile, the bullpen is seemingly our greatest strength and we have theoretically five guys who have the ability to close in Santiago, Thornton, Crain, Reed and even Nathan Jones.

Darvish is going to get an ugly win, but it counts. 98 pitches in just five innings, 5 ER, FB 92-93-94 but not anything that was just totally dominating or awe-inspiring.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 09:55 PM)
Pretty funny that former Sox RF Ryan Sweeney broke Papa Grande's save string in DET and now beat ex-Sox Santos in TOR.

Ouch.

Meanwhile, the bullpen is seemingly our greatest strength and we have theoretically five guys who have the ability to close in Santiago, Thornton, Crain, Reed and even Nathan Jones.

Darvish is going to get an ugly win, but it counts. 98 pitches in just five innings, 5 ER, FB 92-93-94 but not anything that was just totally dominating or awe-inspiring.

Let's not get crazy now...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 10:01 PM)
Let's not get crazy now...

Yea, Jones is extremely raw still. With plenty of coaching and development he could be one, but lots of hurdles to cross first.

All that I'm saying is someone who can consistently throw 95-97 and has that 10+ MPH differential with the offspeed stuff, and 2 decent to above average off-speed pitches, at least has the physical tools/ability to be a closer.

Many don't make it, true enough, but the reason they took Jones over Bruney was 100% potential and raw stuff.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 08:50 PM)
Rangers lineup is amazing

I was happy to see that the Sox won a game down there and they could have won another. The AL West race is going to be incredible this year.

I think people tend to overlook how good that Rangers pitching staff really is.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)
Jon Heyman ‏ @JonHeymanCBS

Kinsler $75M, 5-yr extension agreement, 1st reported by the dallas and ft worth papers, removes $10M team option for '13

Seems reasonable for him and good for both sides.

Now the problem is...if you count arb guys and the paid to Japan portion of Darvish, they're in the $115-$120 million on commitments for next season...and both Hamilton and Napoli are free agents.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
Seems reasonable for him and good for both sides.

Now the problem is...if you count arb guys and the paid to Japan portion of Darvish, they're in the $115-$120 million on commitments for next season...and both Hamilton and Napoli are free agents.

They don't. That is coming out of the TV contract and that money is gone and paid already.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)
They don't. That is coming out of the TV contract and that money is gone and paid already.

Doesn't make sense to me to count their payroll as $170 million this year, but if thats' how you want to bookkeep it more power to you. I'm just going to figure that Darvish is on 5/$110 in terms of how I think of their total payroll, because that's wh at the real effect should be. It might be paid entirely up front but it's going to impact them for years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
Doesn't make sense to me to count their payroll as $170 million this year, but if thats' how you want to bookkeep it more power to you. I'm just going to figure that Darvish is on 5/$110 in terms of how I think of their total payroll, because that's wh at the real effect should be. It might be paid entirely up front but it's going to impact them for years.

They are making $80 million a year on their TV contract alone. It isn't impacting them at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
They are making $80 million a year on their TV contract alone. It isn't impacting them at all.

Do you think they have the ability to push their payroll, not counting the money sent to Japan, upwards of $140 million right now? Because that's what it'll take for them to keep both Napoli and Hamilton right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
Do you think they have the ability to push their payroll, not counting the money sent to Japan, upwards of $140 million right now? Because that's what it'll take for them to keep both Napoli and Hamilton right now.

That's exactly why they paid it up front. It gives them the flexibility for Napoli and Kinsler extensions. I don't see Hamilton coming back, but not because they can't pay him, but because they don't want to.

And yes, they have the ability to do go there. They just drew about 175k to a four game series, are coming off of back to back WS appearances, and have a huge TV deal in place.

JIM BOWDEN ‏ @JimBowdenESPNxm

Reds source: "We have agreed in principal to a 6-year $72.5m deal with Brandon Phillips pending ownership approval" unconfirmed.

Deal now confirmed....Phillips and Reds 6-years $72.5m congrats both Reds and Phillips

Phillips got six years guaranteed 2012-2017 @$72.5m pending becomes only 2B in baseball history to have earned at least $12m at age 36