2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 09:23 PM)
Found a pretty cool site that has WS rings by year (NL/AL champ rings as well). Wanted to see how this stacked up against against those from 2000-present. Hard to do.

http://www.worldseriesrings.net/

The WBC ring looks like it came out of Power Rangers.

I clicked the "pre-ring awards", and the VERY FIRST award that comes up I noticed is an award that MISSPELLED the players name. It reads "James O'Rouke". They forgot the second R in O'Rourke. The awards didn't get off to a very good start....lol

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 07:52 PM)
He apparently changed up his swing in the offseason so this may be legit.

Time for another Phil Rogers article on what would have happened had we kept Young (instead of BA) and/or drafted Curtis Granderson.

Or not traded for Javy, etc.

Crazy game in Colorado. The Rockies were winning 5-1 over the D-Backs, they had a rain delay, Montero hit a 3 run blast, then it was 6-5, 7-5 for Arizona....Colorado rallied for one to make it 7-6, then a two out homer for Todd Helton in the bottom of the 9th won it against JJ Putz, who was KW's best acquisition in 2010.

Putz has accumulated 28 consecutive saves dating back to the end of July last year, along with a 0.33 road ERA.

Somehow the ball Helton hit just barely snuck in right down the line.

I saw the end of that game. Arizona got completely screwed over because the umpires had no business allowing the 9th inning to be played in that kind of rain. The batter before Helton was hit by a pitch because the wet ball slipped out of Putz' hand. The Putz had to resort to throwing cookies just to avoid walking/hitting every batter.

It's Jackie Robinson Day in MLB, where we celebrate the first black player, by everyone looking the same by wearing the same number. #irony

I'm all for Jackie Robinson Day, but they need to find some way to do it other than having every player wear #42. If you're at a bar watching a game with no sound, you have no idea who is pitching/hitting/running, because not only is everybody wearing #42, but none of the jerseys have names on the backs.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 07:42 AM)
I'm all for Jackie Robinson Day, but they need to find some way to do it other than having every player wear #42. If you're at a bar watching a game with no sound, you have no idea who is pitching/hitting/running, because not only is everybody wearing #42, but none of the jerseys have names on the backs.

But...you can't help remembering him.

I agree...it's not particularly great for spectators...but it IS only one game...of course, if it is such a pain that it makes you resent Jackie Robinson day instead of celebrating it, perhaps something needs to be done.

Valentine publicly called out Youkilis over the weekend.

"I don't think he's as physically or emotionally into the game as he has been in the past for some reason,'' Valentine said. "But [on Saturday] it seemed, you know, he's seeing the ball well, got those two walks, got his on-base percentage up higher than his batting average, which is always a good thing, and he'll move on from there."

Pedroia ripped Valentine in response:

"I really don't know what Bobby is trying to do," Pedroia said Monday. "That's not the way we go about our stuff around here. He'll figure that out. The whole team is behind Youk. We have each other's backs here."

Pedroia was then asked whether he thought Valentine perhaps was trying to light a fire under Youkilis, who is hitting .200 on the young season.

"Maybe that works in Japan," Pedroia said, referring to Valentine's successful stints as a manager in Japan.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 08:20 AM)
Valentine publicly called out Youkilis over the weekend.

Pedroia ripped Valentine in response:

I heard this on my way into work this morning...

I like Pedroia but these Boston players think they are above the rest of the League or something..."that's not how we do things around here"? Seriously? Under whom? Tito is gone, Dustin...the way you did things around there got him f***ing fired...so maybe you should listen to your manager and change some of the things you do around there....

Now I'm not saying the way Valentine called him out was right either...I think we have all seen the public criticism of players over the course of the last several years and I can't say I remember too many cases of the criticism having positive effects...

But Pedroia's response is even more out of line, IMO.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
I heard this on my way into work this morning...

I like Pedroia but these Boston players think they are above the rest of the League or something..."that's not how we do things around here"? Seriously? Under whom? Tito is gone, Dustin...the way you did things around there got him f***ing fired...so maybe you should listen to your manager and change some of the things you do around there....

Now I'm not saying the way Valentine called him out was right either...I think we have all seen the public criticism of players over the course of the last several years and I can't say I remember too many cases of the criticism having positive effects...

But Pedroia's response is even more out of line, IMO.

What Pedroia's response tells me is that there is a pretty big gulf between the manager and the players. The players simply do not trust whatever it is this manager is trying to do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 07:30 AM)
What Pedroia's response tells me is that there is a pretty big gulf between the manager and the players. The players simply do not trust whatever it is this manager is trying to do.

Gee, ya think? :)

That much is obvious...what I think has happened is that the current core of Red Sox players has been enabled so much that they now think they run the show in the clubhouse...and they are resisting the direction of their manager. I don't think it has much to do with Valentine. I think unless you have a guy who is willing to cede almost all of his power to the players, you're going to get this kind of result.

It's almost like a monster has been created...

The Green (with Envy) Monster...

Well, Ozzie and Bobby found out that their acts can grow tiresome in less than one week of regular season action.

Which way does the volatile/combustile John Henry go with his response? Of course, those Red Sox players have so much pride, many of them having won 1 or 2 championships under their watch. A lot of the players are not nearly as good as they were before, Varitek's leadership is missing from the clubhouse, Ortiz is nearing the end of his career (when it looked done 3 years ago and was called prematurely), Pedroia's been hurt a lot, Beckett and Lackey haven't been the same, a lot of wounded pride with how the last season ended so ignominiously, maybe frustration with their closer situation, the addition of Crawford and subtraction of Papelbon....lots of factors there to consider.

With the rise of the Rays and now the Blue Jays to a lesser extent, they're getting more than they bargained for.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 08:34 AM)
Gee, ya think? :)

That much is obvious...what I think has happened is that the current core of Red Sox players has been enabled so much that they now think they run the show in the clubhouse...and they are resisting the direction of their manager. I don't think it has much to do with Valentine. I think unless you have a guy who is willing to cede almost all of his power to the players, you're going to get this kind of result.

It's almost like a monster has been created...

That team could go nuclear very quickly.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...lb&c_id=mlb

Kind of seems like a much smaller version of the Ozzie flap, with Valentine backtracking and claiming he was misquoted or what he said was mischaracterized.

If Valentine's actually telling the truth, he has a right to be pissed that someone "spun" his comments into something they were not...or at least seriously took them out of context to "break" a "Red Sox already split with internal dissension" story.

That's another refreshing change about Ventura, I doubt we'll see something like that anytime soon. It will be interesting to see how he deals with the fragile ego of Beckham, Morel in the 2 spot, Rios, the idea of Dunn sitting against LHP, etc.

Jose Canseco ‏ @JoseCanseco

Titanic 100 years wOw. Global warming couldve saved titanic. Sad to say

Titanic reminds me of the days I had two yachts in Miami but no icicles

I had a bat I named Titanic .It was biggest rawlings ever made and beautiful and unbreakable dont know where Titanic is now

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 10:05 AM)
Jose Canseco ‏ @JoseCanseco

Titanic 100 years wOw. Global warming couldve saved titanic. Sad to say

Titanic reminds me of the days I had two yachts in Miami but no icicles

I had a bat I named Titanic .It was biggest rawlings ever made and beautiful and unbreakable dont know where Titanic is now

fml

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 02:34 PM)
Giants lock up Bumgarner to a 5-year extension. Now it's Lincecum's turn.

I wouldn't think of giving Lincecum that deal until he proves he's 100% healthy.

Daniel Bard experiment continues in Boston....strong through six, but ended up walking 7 guys (7 K's) and the last walk pushed the go-ahead run in.

He was pushed well over 100 pitches at that time, probably because Valentine's become a bit shy about going to the pen early, plus, he hadn't given up a run. Definitely ran out of gas, although hindsight's always going to be 20/20, Bobby will be an easy target for his detractors today. Not having either Crawford or Ellsbury in that line-up of theirs really makes them a station-to-station team. And it looks like David Ortiz is drinking from the same Fountain of Youth sports beverage as Paulie.

Think Shields was something like 1-9 with nearly a 7 career ERA at Fenway coming into that game.

Strasburg throwing 97-98 MPH in the first inning. Amazing what doctors today can do, unless you have shoulder problems. With that change-up and curve, he has all the tools to be as good as, if not better than, Verlander.

Edited by caulfield12