2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 09:55 PM)
According to Gameday, he was at 91/92 in the first inning

I think there is a labrum or UCL surgery in his future. It would also explain all of the cash the Giants have put out on their pitching lately.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 07:11 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bobby-valenti...DZJxe78mUw5nYcB

Article on Valentine's mess in BOS already....interesting, Cherington apparently wanted Dale Sveum and John Henry/ownership group wanted disciplinarian type in Valentine.

if true, based on that article, you can hardly call it a mess. I love Bobby V so I'm gonna go ahead and believe he's an evil genius.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 08:11 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bobby-valenti...DZJxe78mUw5nYcB

Article on Valentine's mess in BOS already....interesting, Cherington apparently wanted Dale Sveum and John Henry/ownership group wanted disciplinarian type in Valentine.

On this one, I'm leaning towards the ownership. You're getting right now the end result of what happens when you have a clubhouse out of control and then you try to bring it back under control

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 09:39 PM)
What the hell happened to Lincecum? Sad to see, as he was always someone who you went out of your way to watch.

We've seen this from him before...I think he's earned a bit more patience than this.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)
There was a rumor that Lincecum was no longer throwing a pitch....maybe his slider? and speculation that he was experiencing elbow pain.

And his velocity was way down in ST and so far in the early season.

Pitch F/X bears out that his velocity so far is down about 2 mph from last year, but it also thinks that he's throwing his slider a ton more in the last 2 years than he has any year beforehand. He went from using his fastball 60% of the time in his good years to 35-40% of the time the last few years, and has gone from 5% of his pitches being classified as sliders to 25% of them being called sliders.

His slider velocity is very close to his changeup velocity, so maybe it's mixing up those 2 pitches some, but his fastball is getting used much, much less than he used to.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 09:39 PM)
What the hell happened to Lincecum? Sad to see, as he was always someone who you went out of your way to watch.

Wow. We're three starts into the season.

16 ks and 4 walks in 13 innings. The stats will correct themselves.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
Lincecum's power comes from his specific throwing motion and leg push.

There has to be a mechanical issue that's messing that up.

There was a story a couple years ago when he had that bad first half that he really started working hard on his leg strength, running bleachers and such, and that happened right when he had a great close to the season. I wouldn't be shocked if he just was getting older and reaching that "hey, now I actually have to work out to be able to pitch" stage either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 04:40 PM)
There was a story a couple years ago when he had that bad first half that he really started working hard on his leg strength, running bleachers and such, and that happened right when he had a great close to the season. I wouldn't be shocked if he just was getting older and reaching that "hey, now I actually have to work out to be able to pitch" stage either.

He's not old enough for that yet

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 07:11 PM)
Humph, Buehrles rough 2006 season was his 27 year old season, and that's when he said he needed to start getting in better shape.

Ahh, well this must apply to all 27 year old pitchers then...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 08:14 PM)
Ahh, well this must apply to all 27 year old pitchers then...

To be fair, Lincicum is an injury worry because of his motion and his frame. We aren't talking about a guy with a good pitchers body or throwing motion.

This is just wild speculation.

Everyone is unique, but he's in the prime of his career and showed these same struggles before.

I'm inclined to give him more than 3 starts before I start speculating on injuries or that his legs aren't strong enough.

Which year was it that Paulie made a conscious effort in the offseason to do more conditioning and start watching his diet a bit more?

Wonder if it was a coincidence. Obviously, he's not like Rock Raines or Rickey Henderson, it's really hard to tell the difference physique-wise, but something has definitely changed, probably 85% mental and 15% physical.