2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 04:05 AM)
Hope this plays out better than the Sirotka/David Wells deal and Santos isn't out for a significant period of time.

At least he actually reported to the Blue Jays in shape (unlike Pineda) and pitched for the first 2-3 weeks, and demonstrated the same velocity and stuff he had last season with the Sox.

The only similarity is the two teams conducting the deal. Santos was not dealt after finishing out the previous season on and off the DL. Sirotka(and pretty much the entire 2000 Sox staff) ended that season on fumes with all of them taking turns on the DL.

And let's not forget, Wells wasn't exactly a steal, both teams received damaged goods, and neither team got a return from either pitcher.

If Santos ends up hurt this season, I would attribute it to bad luck, not the Sox passing off an injured pitcher.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
The only similarity is the two teams conducting the deal. Santos was not dealt after finishing out the previous season on and off the DL. Sirotka(and pretty much the entire 2000 Sox staff) ended that season on fumes with all of them taking turns on the DL.

And let's not forget, Wells wasn't exactly a steal, both teams received damaged goods, and neither team got a return from either pitcher.

If Santos ends up hurt this season, I would attribute it to bad luck, not the Sox passing off an injured pitcher.

I hope Santos comes back strong.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)

Yeah, we got something like $4-4.5 million back in insurance payments on that contract for Wells.

Wonder what the Blue Jays actually got back...and whether they had insured Sirotka against injury when he was acquired? Guess we'll never know.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 03:25 AM)
Santos to the DL. Looks like Kenny sold high at the right time.

This is why when people were disappointed with the return for Santos they should not have been. The Jays were taking a risk trading for a guy with his kind of slider.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 06:14 PM)
Angels 7 games out.

Did not see that coming this quick.

With that offense, on paper...and that pitching staff, on paper. Incredible.

But so the White Sox fall in April and May last year after starting out 6-3 and then going something like 5-19.

Nobody's been completed surprised by the Red Sox, due to the injuries to Crawford, Ellsbury and the lack of a bullpen...as well as all those veterans getting a year old (yeah, I know Ortiz was leading the league in hitting come into Sunday). But when you start an outfield of McDonald, Ross and Sweeney...well, that's not so good, even though Ryan's actually been hitting well for them. That they had to go out and eat most of the contract of one of the worst hitters in baseball right now (Marlon Byrd) is evidence enough of their desperation.

Aviles isn't an everyday player, he wasn't even for the KC Royals.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 07:44 PM)
With that offense, on paper...and that pitching staff, on paper. Incredible.

But so the White Sox fall in April and May last year after starting out 6-3 and then going something like 5-19.

Nobody's been completed surprised by the Red Sox, due to the injuries to Crawford, Ellsbury and the lack of a bullpen...as well as all those veterans getting a year old (yeah, I know Ortiz was leading the league in hitting come into Sunday). But when you start an outfield of McDonald, Ross and Sweeney...well, that's not so good, even though Ryan's actually been hitting well for them. That they had to go out and eat most of the contract of one of the worst hitters in baseball right now (Marlon Byrd) is evidence enough of their desperation.

Aviles isn't an everyday player, he wasn't even for the KC Royals.

What I've been telling my coworkers is that I like Aviles... for the Royals, just not for the Red Sox. He's definitely good enough to make a team, just not highlight one. The Red Sox are in serious trouble, and Aviles does not make them better.

I think it was you that asked the facetious question about NESN etc being shut down... The atmosphere here is not good. Everyone was riding the high of the 100 year anniversary but that has been the talk; that's all they've been looking forward to, acknowledging that they're in a bad place right now.

Saturday's blown 9-run lead against the Yankees sounds like it is going to be a major talking point for the fans all season. I hope we don't have one of those.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
No. There was mass overreaction to a 3-week Kalapse. The Red Sox were the best team in baseball for four months. Theo would've at least had the 'pen in order.

Unfortunately for them, the season is six months long, so they were at home in October.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 01:56 PM)
Ivan Rodriguez had a press conference to announce his retirement, and he refused to take questions.

Wonder why?

Steroids/PED-related questions from the non-Rangers/beat writers who would stir up the past.

He's probably more concerned that it will affect his HOF chances to have that dragged through the coals.

In actuality, he's probably the strongest argument for including someone because of their defensive abilities (like a Bill Mazeroski at 2B) as a catcher...forget all the offensive numbers he posted.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
Steroids/PED-related questions from the non-Rangers/beat writers who would stir up the past.

He's probably more concerned that it will affect his HOF chances to have that dragged through the coals.

In actuality, he's probably the strongest argument for including someone because of their defensive abilities (like a Bill Mazeroski at 2B) as a catcher...forget all the offensive numbers he posted.

Next time I'll use a "Gee" in front of "wonder why", with an eyeroll emoticon.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 05:48 PM)
Next time I'll use a "Gee" in front of "wonder why", with an eyeroll emoticon.

Sorry, wasn't even paying attention to who posted. 50% of the time, it's a real or honest question...you never know.

Lincecum got a ROUGH win today, but he really was laboring with his control against the Mets.

He had a ton of K's, but his pitch count got well over 100 in the fifth inning. It was to the point where Bochy was going to have to pull him out of a 6-1 lead (bases loaded though) and take away a win because of his control issues and the pitch count.

Most of the game, his fastball was 90-91 but he was routinely in the 88-90 MPH range in the last couple of innings.

He probably didn't quiet all the concerns and quiet whispers around baseball about his health....did seem to have his offspeed stuff working a B+ level at least.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
So since no one has said it yet... welcome to AL Albert Pujols ?

10 percent of the season, 16 games, 65 AB's, 0 HR's and 4 RBI. Seems like he only has warning track power now, very odd.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:52 PM)
10 percent of the season, 16 games, 65 AB's, 0 HR's and 4 RBI. Seems like he only has warning track power now, very odd.

Yes sir, I still think he will put up numbers but this is definitely odd.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:06 PM)
Yes sir, I still think he will put up numbers but this is definitely odd.

Yeah, but it will be awhile before he gets to see pitchers for a 2nd time. I am surprised this is not bigger news considering everyone sees him as the best hitter in this era. He is also batting .154 with RISP.

I am starting to think the dip we saw last year from him was no fluke. His batting average dropped 35 pts from his career average, and his OPS was down over 150. If you continue that trend into this year and add the league switch (which some players have struggled with), it is not out of the realm of possibility that he hits about .270 this year with about 25 HRs and an OPS of about .800. Not bad for most players, but a terrible year for Pujols.

Then you factor in 20 something games played at Oakland and Seattle (18, and 3 at PetCo), which are definitely pitcher's parks, by any definition.

Not sure which deal is crazier, the Pujols or Votto contract. Maybe Albert's, because of his age and the expectations that have been raised out in LA.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:52 PM)

Similar thing happened to start last season. OPS by month in 2011:

April: .794

May: .752

June: 1.197

July: .955

August: .951

September: .954

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 01:58 AM)
Yeah, but it will be awhile before he gets to see pitchers for a 2nd time. I am surprised this is not bigger news considering everyone sees him as the best hitter in this era. He is also batting .154 with RISP.

I am starting to think the dip we saw last year from him was no fluke. His batting average dropped 35 pts from his career average, and his OPS was down over 150. If you continue that trend into this year and add the league switch (which some players have struggled with), it is not out of the realm of possibility that he hits about .270 this year with about 25 HRs and an OPS of about .800. Not bad for most players, but a terrible year for Pujols.

He's always a guy who tinkers with his swing...but hte fact that he's thinking about it probably is the biggest factor.