2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 11:25 PM)
Now at 22 games and 88 AB's for Pujols. He has never had a homerless month in the majors. Batting just .216 and OPS around .575 with just 4 RBI. Even if he returns to last year's form for the remainder of the season, he will only hit around 26 HRs and have 75 RBI - and this is the best hitter in baseball. Maybe those rumors about his age have more substance than everyone has thought.

This just baffles me because he has been so good for so long, and now he just drops off the map.

How did you come up with those numbers?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what the methodology was there.

I did the simplest thing, took the composite average of the last two seasons, 39.5 homers and 108.5 RBI's, divided by 6 (for six months in a season), the multiplied by 5.

In other words, let's just say he was injured the first month of the season and didn't play at all, what would his expected numbers be?

I came up with the statistical result of 33 homers and 90 RBI's...well, really 94 because he already has 4. So all is not lost clearly, but he really has to pick up the pace and batting average, no doubt.

This is when Thomas started struggling in his career too, give or take a year. Pujols may be more similar than we think.

If his career continues to mirror Thomas at all, that is going to be one of the worst contracts of all time.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 07:09 AM)
AP is not even 6 months removed from a damn near 1.200 ops postseason run. He'll be fine.

That was 18 games. I would much rather use the 22 games from this season.

To be fair, the relative drop off from 2010 to 2011 is about the same as Thomas from 1997 to 1998. From this point forward, he is only going to get less athletic as well. I think he'll be a really good hitter for a long time and he definitely has a chance to hit like 800 homers, but it's fun to make bold generalizations 1 month into a 10 year contract.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 07:17 AM)
This is when Thomas started struggling in his career too, give or take a year. Pujols may be more similar than we think.

If his career continues to mirror Thomas at all, that is going to be one of the worst contracts of all time.

When Frank Thomas was 32 (same age as Pujols), that was the 2000 season. He was robbed of an MVP award by a guy who was more synthetic testosterone than man.

When Frank Thomas was 33, he put up a .758 OPS on the season...because he tore a biceps tendon and played ~20 games.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 07:45 AM)
AP is not even 7 months removed from the worst regular season of his career by far.

That's not exactly an insult when it's Pujols. He had a pedestrian April last year (though this year is obviously worse). From May 1 through game 7 of the World Series, he was Albert Pujols. Let's see where he stands this time next month. If any player in the last 25 years or so, sans Bonds, deserves the benefit of the doubt, it's Albert.

Edited by Jordan4life

Serious question...is there a big Free Agent signing from last offseason who is off to a good start anywhere in MLB? I've got Darvish coming to mind, but that's about it. Pujols, Fielder, Reyes, none of them are off to good starts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 07:30 AM)
Serious question...is there a big Free Agent signing from last offseason who is off to a good start anywhere in MLB? I've got Darvish coming to mind, but that's about it. Pujols, Fielder, Reyes, none of them are off to good starts.

Well the power hasn't exactly been there, but Fielder is still getting on at a .380 clip...I wouldn't say that he's off to a rough start or anything...

CJ Wilson has been very solid as well.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 09:38 AM)
Well the power hasn't exactly been there, but Fielder is still getting on at a .380 clip...I wouldn't say that he's off to a rough start or anything...

CJ Wilson has been very solid as well.

Yeah, Fielder's hitting .300+, but the power isn't there currently, sporting a low-800's OPS, in addition to the expected below average defense, which isn't what they paid $214 million for.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 08:40 AM)
Yeah, Fielder's hitting .300+, but the power isn't there currently, sporting a low-800's OPS, in addition to the expected below average defense, which isn't what they paid $214 million for.

It's 20 games...it's April...and Fielder is VERY streaky in terms of hitting home runs...I know you never want to admit you're wrong, but are you really going to argue with me that a guy hitting .309 is off to a bad start?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
It's 20 games...it's April...and Fielder is VERY streaky in terms of hitting home runs...I know you never want to admit you're wrong, but are you really going to argue with me that a guy hitting .309 is off to a bad start?

Have you watched many of his games? I think the reason I'm curious about him is the AL switch combined with moving to Comerica. Just wondering if he might be one of those guys that lets the ballpark get into his head, where suddenly stuff that used to easily clear the fence is staying in, and it starts affecting his swing or really hurts his numbers. If he's just lining the ball everywhere and things are staying in, that's one thing, but I'm at least curious about where he's going.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
That's not exactly an insult when it's Pujols. He had a pedestrian April last year (though this year is obviously worse). From May 1 through game 7 of the World Series, he was Albert Pujols. Let's see where he stands this time next month. If any player in the last 25 years or so, sans Bonds, deserves the benefit of the doubt, it's Albert.

Yeah, but considering his contract, it is a cause for concern, especially since it's 2 straight seasons now. A .906 OPS is fine & dandy, but I think the Angels are expecting a bit more than that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 08:46 AM)
Have you watched many of his games? I think the reason I'm curious about him is the AL switch combined with moving to Comerica. Just wondering if he might be one of those guys that lets the ballpark get into his head, where suddenly stuff that used to easily clear the fence is staying in, and it starts affecting his swing or really hurts his numbers. If he's just lining the ball everywhere and things are staying in, that's one thing, but I'm at least curious about where he's going.

He's on my fantasy team and he's also on the Tigers, so yes, I do watch quite a few of his games....he just smoked a ball off Sabathia yesterday for a home run...he's fine..this is how he is...just wait...sooner or later he'll go crazy and hit 5 home runs in a week and you'll look up and he'll have an OPS over .900.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 07:49 AM)
He's on my fantasy team and he's also on the Tigers, so yes, I do watch quite a few of his games....he just smoked a ball off Sabathia yesterday for a home run...he's fine..this is how he is...just wait...sooner or later he'll go crazy and hit 5 home runs in a week and you'll look up and he'll have an OPS over .900.

this is true.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)
DKnobler ‏ @DKnobler

Angels are 7-15. Marlins about to go 8-14. Only 3 of last 27 teams to start that slow finished season over .500.

That's actually more than I thought, that can only go back a couple years right?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
DKnobler ‏ @DKnobler

Angels are 7-15. Marlins about to go 8-14. Only 3 of last 27 teams to start that slow finished season over .500.

I didn't think the Marlins would finish .500 when the season started, or much better than .500.

If the Angels pitching is healthy, I'll still take them to win upper-80's wins.

The Red Sox have tattoed Mr. Millone of the A's for an 11-1 lead. In all fairness, Boston is just a really hot hitting team right now. Would be great to see them face Darvish now and see who came out on top.

The Rangers are just going to be a near-impossible out for any team in the playoffs this year, unless they experience a rash of injuries.

Speaking of the Red Sox, they were in danger of blowing an 11-1 lead this time. After 5 runs scored, they had the bases loaded but the Padilla Flotilla struck out the weak-hitting Daric Barton to escape the inning. GS there brings it to 11-10 and nightmares of the Yankees' game.

J. Papelbon 7/7 in SVO. Opposing batters only 3/22. Cubs had come back to tie the game but relief corps gave it right back with Polanco's 2 run-scoring double. Whatever happened to Geovanny Soto? .127? It's just like Beckham's collapse.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 07:56 PM)
Yu with 8 K's through 5 innings against Toronto. I don't know what he'll end up being long-term. Nobody does. But the stuff is real and that of a #1 SP. His s*** just dances everywhere. Nothing straight.

The only concern with him is that with all that dancing, even he doesn't always know where the pitches are going. As long he can avoid walking everybody, dude is gonna put up some ace-like numbers.