2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would trade for Matt Thornton and take on that salary in a second before I would mess with Marmol.

Marmol and the pressure-cooker that is NY, not a good idea. There's pretty good reason to suspect Soriano wouldn't be able to handle it either...he just doesn't have the same kind of stuff he had 5 years ago when he could be devastating. And Soriano's already become Cashman's own version of Adam Dunn in a way, the fans aren't going to give him much rope.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2012 -> 08:47 AM)
If I'm sitting in Cashman's chair and I have a blank check and my job is to continue winning pennants and world series games, yes, I'd take on Marmol, that would not be the worst risk ever, but I'd make sure he passes a serious physical first (so that I know his current issue isn't that he's about to blow out an elbow). If ownership is seriously pushing me to get down below the luxury tax threshold, and I'm staring Cano and Granderson's extensions in the face, then no, I wouldn't even think about it.

It's a good thing you aren't sitting in Cashman's chair right now then. I don't see how spending $15 million on a guy who can't throw strikes to pitch the 7th inning is a good idea. Especially just a day after Mo's injury. You have two very good options in your bullpen. Hughes has been much better as a reliever than a starter and he can head back there once Pettitte is called up.

If your replacements fail miserably for some reason, then you start looking for outside help. Myers, Street, Betancourt may all be available, or maybe Marmol will have figured it out. You don't spend all that money hoping that you can figure out his problem, it's not like control has ever been his strong suit.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2012 -> 10:06 AM)
I would trade for Matt Thornton and take on that salary in a second before I would mess with Marmol.

Marmol and the pressure-cooker that is NY, not a good idea. There's pretty good reason to suspect Soriano wouldn't be able to handle it either...he just doesn't have the same kind of stuff he had 5 years ago when he could be devastating. And Soriano's already become Cashman's own version of Adam Dunn in a way, the fans aren't going to give him much rope.

Well of course you'd take on Thornton, but the White Sox aren't going to give him away for nothing, they're going to want talent back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2012 -> 07:15 PM)
That would just destroy the Yankees.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
If that's the case...then the White Sox have a much better chance at that 2nd wild card than they did yesterday.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
Well of course you'd take on Thornton, but the White Sox aren't going to give him away for nothing, they're going to want talent back.

As well they should. The guy is one of the top lefty relievers in baseball. Those guys come at a cost.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
Both of those guys have been putting up respectable numbers for a couple/few weeks now.

Hmph, you're actaully right, Morel's hitting .268 since his low point a couple weeks ago. Just no power at all.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
Hmph, you're actaully right, Morel's hitting .268 since his low point a couple weeks ago. Just no power at all.

And Gordo is 11-40 since he fell to .103, good for .275. Like I said it isn't great, but we have moved from horrible to respectable. That is a good start.

But what kind of prospect are you going to legitimately get from the Yankees for Matt Thornton?

Not one of their Top 3 prospects. Maybe 6-10?

If it was in 2010, when his contract was more typical of a set-up guy, I could see us getting something really nice, but not so much now because of his age, salary and failures in 2011.

Probably nothing like Wilson Ramos or Montero, which is what we really need. This would be our wish list, theoretically.

4. Gary Sanchez, c

5. Mason Williams, of

6. Dante Bichette, 3b

7. Ravel Santana, of

8. Austin Romine, c

9. J.R. Murphy, c/3b

10. Slade Heathcott, of

It's quite hard to get Montero from the Yankees these days.

I would probably be convinced by one of their "ranked" guys, Banuelos, Betances, Sanchez, or Williams. I wouldn't make the deal if I wasn't getting something legit back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)

I would probably be convinced by one of their "ranked" guys, Banuelos, Betances, Sanchez, or Williams. I wouldn't make the deal if I wasn't getting something legit back.

With the amount of closers hurt and sucking around baseball right now, plus the fact the Sox haven't sucked this year, it would take a helluva price right now to pry Matt Thornton away from the south side of Chicago. And that is exactly how it should be. If the Yankees aren't willing to part with their top talent, hang up on them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)

LOL. Kind of doubt Ramos is available from the Nationals, too. Just throwing out a couple of names as reference points. And hopefully the Sox pitchers don't forget Montero, because he hit some of the hardest shots in that series for the M's, including the homer to straightaway CF.

I meant grabbing a future starting catcher with that kind of cache.

Trout at .190, Pujols at .196.

Ouch. 510 OPS for Pujols currently. This one's going to get 5X the attention of Adam Dunn. I just hope for the sake of baseball that it doesn't come out that his success was PED's related, that would be a hard one to get over for the sport when THE best player of the last decade+ completely falls off the map.