2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)
Not quite sure why Dodgers aren't having their best reliever close for them.

Maybe they prefer to use him in the high-leverage situations.

Perhaps there is a Dodger fan somewhere posting the same thing about the White Sox.

:)

Edited by iamshack

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cole Hamels drilled Bryce Harper in the first inning...Harper then stole home as Hamels threw over to first on a pick off throw.

The Nats then drilled Hamels when he came to the plate to hit.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 6, 2012 -> 07:52 PM)
Ok,so I'm watching the Sunday Night Baseball game and they just had a commercial for a dating site called FarmersOnly.com

Lol its been on nbcsports for hockey for a week. Its ridiculous. Thought it would only be there. But on espn? Wow.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 6, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)
Cole Hamels drilled Bryce Harper in the first inning...Harper then stole home as Hamels threw over to first on a pick off throw.

The Nats then drilled Hamels when he came to the plate to hit.

Why did Hamels hit Harper? Rookie hazing type thing?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
Brewers injury issues have gotten just ridiculous the last 10 days or so

Nationals aren't doing much better in that department. Morse has yet to play, Zim has been on the DL, and know Werth is out for up to 2 months.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ May 6, 2012 -> 11:00 PM)
Why did Hamels hit Harper? Rookie hazing type thing?

Harper, by all accounts, to be sensitive to forum rules, has been described as having "entitlement issues."

Pure speculation here, but my guess is Hamels and other major leaguers are well aware of this.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 7, 2012 -> 08:45 AM)
Harper, by all accounts, to be sensitive to forum rules, has been described as having "entitlement issues."

Pure speculation here, but my guess is Hamels and other major leaguers are well aware of this.

I think they are also pissed that Harper seems to be proving what he thinks of himself.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 7, 2012 -> 08:05 AM)
I think they are also pissed that Harper seems to be proving what he thinks of himself.

I am sure they would prefer he fail.

Doesn't matter...no reason to be a massive jerk...you're amongst the best players in the world now...

Being in Vegas, there was a lot of talk about the guy...and all of it was that he is just a massive doucher.

When you hit the Golden Boy and endanger the future of professional baseball (according to some), you can bet there will be a suspension, too.

With Pujols foundering, a new superstar must arise. Matt Kemp's great, but not sure if he's the one to carry that baton forward.

Home field advantage declining throughout baseball (not just the Chisox).

2. Road Sweet Road

Recent MLB home team winning percentages

Year Home Win Pct.

2012 .515

2011 .525

2010 .559

2009 .549

2008 .556

2007 .542

2006 .546

2005 .537

2004 .535

2003 .550

2002 .542

Aggregate home team winning percentages

2011-2012 .524

2002-2010 .546

Visiting teams won more than half of all games played this weekend -- 24 of 45, to be exact -- and no home team swept a series. The Braves, Marlins and Orioles, however, all swept the clubs (Rockies, Padres and Red Sox) they visited.

It's not just a weekend glitch, either. Home team winning percentage is down across baseball for the second straight season and is just .515, the fourth lowest since the start of the Live Ball Era in 1920. The only seasons lower were 1923 and 1948 (both .509) and 1968 (.511).

The difference between a .524 home winning percentage and .546 is a matter of four wins over the course of a 162-game schedule.

It's hard to ascertain a definitive reason for the uptick in road wins. It's tempting to ascribe pitching dominance as the cause, given how the depressed run-scoring in 2011 and '12 as well as 1968, but there's no similar correlation with 1923, '48 or '94. Also, 2010 was the first of the so-called recent Years of the Pitcher, but 2010 had the highest home winning rate since 1978. And the other recent low percentage -- .517 in strike-shortened 1994 -- came in a high-offense season.

For now it's hard to divine whether the track records of visiting teams in 2011 and '12 is the start of a trend or merely a fluke, but it's worth paying attention to.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writ...l#ixzz1uC88uCsp

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 7, 2012 -> 08:45 AM)

Make him uncomfortable in the batters box might be the biggest way to stop him right now.

The cool thing is that the Nats drilled Hamels in the shin in his first PA, and he took it like a man and just jogged down to first base and then it was over.

He then shut them down for 8 innings and got on base himself a few more times.

That was just so stupid by Hamels. Yeah, let's hit a guy for being a rookie, possibly injure him if it hits him on a bone in his hand, or slips and gets at his head. WELCOME TO THE BIG LEAGUES! Dumb.

I don't blame Rizzo for saying what he said. There should absolutely be punishment for Hamels.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 7, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
That was just so stupid by Hamels. Yeah, let's hit a guy for being a rookie, possibly injure him if it hits him on a bone in his hand, or slips and gets at his head. WELCOME TO THE BIG LEAGUES! Dumb.

I don't blame Rizzo for saying what he said. There should absolutely be punishment for Hamels.

Yep, shame on Hamels for admitting that. In the era of bounty program punishment, you are just so dumb to admit trying to "possibly" injure someone.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 7, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)
He's really dumb for admitting it, but it was going to be obvious regardless.

When you read Zimmerman's explanation of why he hit Hamels though, it's just laughable...they should discard that from any part of the discussion.