2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 04:22 AM)
Sergio Santos? Still hurt. Right shoulder inflammation has kept him out 2 months (hmm)

Daniel Hudson? Shelled yet again and now re-hurt, going for MRI

Mike Sirotka? Think he's hurt too.

Kenny? A trader

Ironic on the day we find out Nestor Molina went for an MRI on his elbow

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already mentioned in today's game thread, but I guess it also belongs here.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...l-muscle-strain

Yankees ace CC Sabathia is heading to the disabled list with a strained muscle in his left leg. He will be out until after the All-Star Break, but Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that, if all goes right, Sabathia will only miss two turns through the rotation.

Sabathia did not want to go the DL, but Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told him during a Wednesday morning meeting the Yankees would not take any chances with his health.

"Better safe than sorry," Cashman said.

In Sabathia's place, Freddy Garcia will start on Friday against the Chicago White Sox.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
Already mentioned in today's game thread, but I guess it also belongs here.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...l-muscle-strain

Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst

Before this DL stint, Sabathia hadn't missed a start since April '06. Only other starters who could say that: Haren, Cain, Arroyo, Buehrle

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 03:15 PM)
Marlon Byrd, current FA, suspended 50 games.

Victor Conte says hello.

So Phil rogers said this morning that Byrd, who is not on any roster, is being put on a restricted list and is sitting out the 50 game suspension right now. How is that possible? Shouldnt he be on a teams roster to have to sit out games?

Rogers said it, so TIFWIW

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
So Phil rogers said this morning that Byrd, who is not on any roster, is being put on a restricted list and is sitting out the 50 game suspension right now. How is that possible? Shouldnt he be on a teams roster to have to sit out games?

Rogers said it, so TIFWIW

I thought the same thing, but according to the mlb.com story:

"Byrd is currently a free agent, so he will be placed on the restricted list for the duration of his suspension, which will begin immediately and will be in effect through Aug. 20. It will result in the loss of 50 days of pay. "

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
If he was released, he should have been paid the remainder of his 2012 salary on the spot. His salary from that date on is $0.

yeah there was just a story about the Cubs trying to get a claw back for it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 08:53 PM)

I saw the catch earlier. 4 more hits tonight as well. This guy went 25th overall. I don't believe he fell because of signability issue. Some heads need to roll for lettin' this kid get away.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 09:20 PM)
I saw the catch earlier. 4 more hits tonight as well. This guy went 25th overall. I don't believe he fell because of signability issue. Some heads need to roll for lettin' this kid get away.

I guess he's from a rural part of New Jersey, and his senior year it rained a lot, so scouts didn't get to see enough of him. Crazy.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
If he was released, he should have been paid the remainder of his 2012 salary on the spot. His salary from that date on is $0.

They keep getting paid the same way. Whatever the contract stipulates. Its not a lump sum payment unless the contract called for it, which I've never heard of and might not be approved. The Red Sox have to pay him, but they receive money from the Cubs. The Cubs agreed to send money to Boston to pay Byrd. Now that Byrd isn't getting paid, I'm sure they would want out of that responsibility, at least 50 games worth. It will be interesting to see if MLB has to rule on it. Boston and the Cubs may be fighting again. Technically, when you pay a portion of a contract to a player you have traded, you are really just sending money to the other team. In other words, if the Red Sox were able to trade Byrd before releasing him , they are not obligated to send the money they receive from the Cubs to the next team. Its pretty rare that it doesn't happen, in fact when the Sox traded for Vazquez, the DBacks weren't going to send their Yankee money the White Sox way, but they finally did.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 07:20 PM)

He was one of the guys I wanted the Sox to draft. Really liked his ability. Never thought he'd be this good though.