LET'S MAKE A LIST OCTOBER '11 - FAVORITE SPORTS MOVIES

knightni

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
I submitted my list. I actually surprised myself and came up with more than 25 movies. So I had to pare it down.

As I looked at it I realized that over half of them were baseball movies. A lot of comedies as well.

I came up with about 30 and had to pare it down to 25 too. And most of mine were baseball movies also. Like with every list we make I probably hurried too fast and in so doing forgot a few that would have made my list had I remembered them. No Big Lebowski on my list. I don't think of it as a sports movie but I suppose it is.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 10:09 PM)
I came up with about 30 and had to pare it down to 25 too. And most of mine were baseball movies also. Like with every list we make I probably hurried too fast and in so doing forgot a few that would have made my list had I remembered them. No Big Lebowski on my list. I don't think of it as a sports movie but I suppose it is.

I had a big problem with this too. Exactly how big a part of the plot does it have to be for it to qualify for the list? I left off The Hurricane because it's not really about boxing, but you can stretch that a bit.

Is Field of Dreams really a baseball movie? I guess, but it's mostly about a guy building a baseball field, not baseball itself. Some people argue that Bull Durham is really more of a love story, but it features way to much baseball for me to leave that off.

Here's another one: what qualifies as a sport? One of my favorite movies is The Hustler. Now I consider pool to be more of a game than a sport, but they show it on ESPN. The same thing with poker, I'm sure a bunch of us love Rounders.

Yes, I'm into arguing semantics today. :lolhitting

Here's another one: what qualifies as a sport? One of my favorite movies is The Hustler. Now I consider pool to be more of a game than a sport, but they show it on ESPN. The same thing with poker, I'm sure a bunch of us love Rounders.

My opinion would be to draw the line between pool and poker, since pool requires some physical skill/dexterity to pull off and poker is pretty much purely mental. However, if we are going to include poker, I will have to revise my list and put Rounders near the top.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 11:28 PM)
Alley Cat Strike/Johnny Tsunami/Brink share the number 25 spot on my list.

I came close to putting The Garbage Picking Field Goal Kicking Philadelphia Phenomenon at number one, but I was afraid that it'd be taken seriously :lol:

I also wanted to put The Babe on my list despite knowing that it actually isn't a good movie, but there were so many really deserving movies out there.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 12:44 AM)
I also wanted to put The Babe on my list despite knowing that it actually isn't a good movie, but there were so many really deserving movies out there.

That movie's actually great, but is sheephearding even considered a sport?

"That'll do, pig." ;)

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 11:44 PM)
I came close to putting The Garbage Picking Field Goal Kicking Philadelphia Phenomenon at number one, but I was afraid that it'd be taken seriously :lol:

I'm happy I'm not the only person in the history of the world that has seen that movie.