LET'S MAKE A LIST OCTOBER '11 - FAVORITE SPORTS MOVIES

knightni

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 10:11 PM)
I was 8 when it came out. It's a movie every person born from probably 1980 to now grew up cherishing.

I was 7 when it came out. Enjoyed it a lot but seriously can't fathom someone putting it over a truly great films like Rocky or Raging Bull and others on here.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 10:11 PM)
I was 8 when it came out. It's a movie every person born from probably 1980 to now grew up cherishing.

Ugh, I feel old. But to me The Sandlot speaks to anyone who grew up playing pick-up baseball games over the summer.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 10:51 PM)
I was 7 when it came out. Enjoyed it a lot but seriously can't fathom someone putting it over a truly great films like Rocky or Raging Bull and others on here.

The list was titled "favorite" sports movies, not "best" movies and I took that to heart when making my list. Raging Bull & Rocky are obviously better movies than Major League & the Sandlot. But if I were to choose one sports movie to watch right now, it would be Major League. It's entertaining everytime I watch it, I quote it all the time, and that's why I would pick that #1.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 07:18 AM)
The list was titled "favorite" sports movies, not "best" movies and I took that to heart when making my list. Raging Bull & Rocky are obviously better movies than Major League & the Sandlot. But if I were to choose one sports movie to watch right now, it would be Major League. It's entertaining everytime I watch it, I quote it all the time, and that's why I would pick that #1.

I honestly have no problem with someone picking Major League number one. It's a really damn good movie. A movie doesn't have to be super dramatic for me to think it's great. I would have Caddyshack number one myself. The Sandlot got votes on nostalgia. Watching it as an adult is not nearly the same fun it was when I was a kid.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
Can you explain this? I don't even know what you mean by oil patterns.

Bowling alleys have oil on the lanes. I think that's pretty much a given, but there are different ways to put oil down onto the lane to change how the ball rolls down the lane.

If you throw a straight ball, the oil pattern means absolutely nothing to you. However, when you actually hook the ball, there isn't some magic force that allows it to start "curving" three-quarters of the way down the lane...instead, what the ball is doing is attempting to curve but because there is no friction - due to the oil - it simply skids down the lane. As long as there is oil, the ball simply will not turn unless the weight block within the bowling ball itself flips over and changes the direction that the ball itself is rolling all together. There are several differently shaped weight blocks too, but that's a different topic for a different day.

A pretty standard house is what I've always referred to as a Christmas tree pattern, which simply means that the oil on the lane looks almost exactly like that of a Christmas tree. This is an easy shot to throw on because there is a lot of room for error. If you get it too far outside, the ball will start hooking a bit sooner and come into the pocket. If you throw it too far inside, the ball will skid for a while and still come into the pocket.

Here is a decent and quick read about oil patterns with some illustrations. This will help clear it up too if what I've written here hasn't.

Once you get onto the professional level, those sport shots become even more ridiculous. If you are using the ratios and typical sport shot being 2:1, pros will shoot on stuff that is 1:1 or even less. That makes for an incredibly difficult shot and one that I would probably average about 130-150 on, where on the typical house shot I average about 180-200.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
I honestly have no problem with someone picking Major League number one. It's a really damn good movie. A movie doesn't have to be super dramatic for me to think it's great. I would have Caddyshack number one myself. The Sandlot got votes on nostalgia. Watching it as an adult is not nearly the same fun it was when I was a kid.

I don't know, I've seen it a few times, and I find it just as entertaining as in the past. Maybe it is the nostalgia factor taking over?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 08:58 AM)
Bowling alleys have oil on the lanes. I think that's pretty much a given, but there are different ways to put oil down onto the lane to change how the ball rolls down the lane.

If you throw a straight ball, the oil pattern means absolutely nothing to you. However, when you actually hook the ball, there isn't some magic force that allows it to start "curving" three-quarters of the way down the lane...instead, what the ball is doing is attempting to curve but because there is no friction - due to the oil - it simply skids down the lane. As long as there is oil, the ball simply will not turn unless the weight block within the bowling ball itself flips over and changes the direction that the ball itself is rolling all together. There are several differently shaped weight blocks too, but that's a different topic for a different day.

A pretty standard house is what I've always referred to as a Christmas tree pattern, which simply means that the oil on the lane looks almost exactly like that of a Christmas tree. This is an easy shot to throw on because there is a lot of room for error. If you get it too far outside, the ball will start hooking a bit sooner and come into the pocket. If you throw it too far inside, the ball will skid for a while and still come into the pocket.

Here is a decent and quick read about oil patterns with some illustrations. This will help clear it up too if what I've written here hasn't.

Once you get onto the professional level, those sport shots become even more ridiculous. If you are using the ratios and typical sport shot being 2:1, pros will shoot on stuff that is 1:1 or even less. That makes for an incredibly difficult shot and one that I would probably average about 130-150 on, where on the typical house shot I average about 180-200.

I didn't know that so much went into it. Then again, I haven't bowled since grade school so I never attempted to learn anything about bowling. All I know is that I'd throw a strike pretty much every time to start a game, and would barely ever hit another one.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
I don't know, I've seen it a few times, and I find it just as entertaining as in the past. Maybe it is the nostalgia factor taking over?

Same here, and your reasoning is probably right.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 04:09 AM)
Ugh, I feel old. But to me The Sandlot speaks to anyone who grew up playing pick-up baseball games over the summer.

Exactly. I'm 61 and I listed The Sandlot for that very reason. I fondly remember playing baseball nearly every day when I was a kid just like the kids in this movie.

I was surprised at how high A League of Their Own placed. I had it on my list although not nearly that high.

As usual, good fun. Thanks for your efforts Knight!!

1. The Wrestler

2. The Sandlot

3. The Hustler

4. Field of Dreams

4. Remember the Titans

6. Jerry Maguire

7. Miracle

8. Happy Gilmore

9. Coach Carter

11. The Express

12. Major League

13. The Blind Side

14. The Big Lebowski

15. Angels in the Outfield (90s)

16. Finding Forrester

17. Eight Men Out

18. Bad News Bears (00s)

19. We Are Marshall

20. The Fighter

21. The Sixth Man

22. Space Jam

23. Moneyball

24. The Mighty Ducks

25. Alley Cat Strike/Brink/Johnny Tsunami/Luck of the Irish

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 01:52 PM)
Thanks, Knight! :cheers

So no other fans of Varsity Blues?? I thought that would be somewhere on the list.

Varsity Blues is very similar to Entourage. It's cool when you're in your teens and/or early 20's because it's just a way for you to masturbate to a "that's what I'd do if I were a celebrity/stud football player" scenario, but then you get older and realize how much it sucked.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
1. The Wrestler

2. The Sandlot

3. The Hustler

4. Field of Dreams

4. Remember the Titans

6. Jerry Maguire

7. Miracle

8. Happy Gilmore

9. Coach Carter

11. The Express

12. Major League

13. The Blind Side

14. The Big Lebowski

15. Angels in the Outfield (90s)

16. Finding Forrester

17. Eight Men Out

18. Bad News Bears (00s)

19. We Are Marshall

20. The Fighter

21. The Sixth Man

22. Space Jam

23. Moneyball

24. The Mighty Ducks

25. Alley Cat Strike/Brink/Johnny Tsunami/Luck of the Irish

What a cheater.

I actually was about 1/3 through The Express when I had to leave because my buddy had something come up and he was my ride. It was good, but I still haven't finished it.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 08:58 AM)

I thought the pattern was created by so many balls coming down the lane causing the outside to dry more. My favorite spot is between the second and third arrow heading slightly towards the gutter and swinging it back in. I even try that while playing nintendo. I haven't picked up my ball in years, was moving and pulling it out of a very ugly bag, stuck my finger tips in and cried. Damn, how can finger tips get fat.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
I don't think that's true at all.

Each has a specific set of skills that are required to master the sport. Sure any joe blow can pick up a bowling ball and heft it down the lane or smack a golf ball down a fairway but at the professional level either one takes a lot of practice to really be good at it.

I know the pros on TV make it look really easy but to maintain the averages/handicaps they do it requires a ton of skill.

I've been bowling for about 25 years and usually maintain right around a 200 avg give or take 5 pins or so. The pros usually maintain 220+. Plus they bowl on much more difficult oil patterns.

Maybe not 500x, but it's way more difficult. The average person is a much better bowler than they are a golfer. Plus, bowling is repeating the same exact thing for the majority of the game - 10 pins, same shot, nothing changes. You don't have the same exact shot in golf very often, if ever. There are plenty of things you can list that have "a very specific set of skills" but it doesn't make them require the skill golf does.