LET'S MAKE A LIST OCTOBER '11 - FAVORITE SPORTS MOVIES

knightni

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
Yes and no. Athletically they are but to me, what differentiates sports from skills is interaction with your competitors. It's not cut and dry but with the activities I mentioned, you can't really affect the other person at all (pool you kind of can). It's just who does better. At least with poker, there is a direct interaction with your adversary and what you do or don't can and does affect the other.

Like checkers, chess, or backgammon!

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Simpsons summed up my feelings about Rudy rather well.

Rudy: [running up to catch the moving bus] Hey, wait up!

Moe: Ah, crap, it's that pip-squeak Rudy.

Homer: [opening the bus door] What is it, Rudy?

Rudy: [running alongside] Can I come, too?

Krusty: Forget it, kid. You're too small to go to the Super Bowl.

Rudy: But what I lack in size, I make up for in ... [the door

slams on his lips; he pries it open] obnoxiousness!

[Rudy trips and falls on his face, watching the bus drive

off into the sunset, everyone inside cheering]

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
Yes and no. Athletically they are but to me, what differentiates sports from skills is interaction with your competitors. It's not cut and dry but with the activities I mentioned, you can't really affect the other person at all (pool you kind of can). It's just who does better. At least with poker, there is a direct interaction with your adversary and what you do or don't can and does affect the other.

Then poker is a sport, but track and field isn't.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
I'm enjoying the fact that no one is debating that BASEketball isn't a sport.

Well, it originated with basketball. So even with that, after having The Big Lebowski on the list, it'd have to count.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
It was my #1 vote.

Same here.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
IMO The Big Lebowski should not be on this list. Bowling is just a backdrop of the movie, it isnt the focus of the movie. Superman Returns isnt a sports movie just because he saves a plane from crashing into a baseball game. I love the movie, but it does not belong here

Agreed, even though I love the film.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
Does anyone doubt that Rudy will be #1?

It made my list but it wasn't near #1. I assume it will be #1 or #2 because it will make almost everyone's list.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
I'm enjoying the fact that no one is debating that BASEketball isn't a sport.

BASEketball was at least about a sport...a messed up one, but a sport nonetheless.

I agree about The Big Lebowski. Bowling was merely a backdrop. And just because they show poker on ESPN doesn't make it a sport. Pawn Stars in on the History Channel, and even though it's a great show there's nothing historical about it.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)
BASEketball was at least about a sport...a messed up one, but a sport nonetheless.

I agree about The Big Lebowski. Bowling was merely a backdrop. And just because they show poker on ESPN doesn't make it a sport. Pawn Stars in on the History Channel, and even though it's a great show there's nothing historical about it.

I've only seen a few episodes, but people are often pawning historical things.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)

Fun Lebowski Fact: The Dude is actually never seen bowling in the film.

I cut my list off at 15, otherwise Kingpin would have crept onto the list.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
Why wouldn't it be on your lists, though? I mean, even I voted for it despite hating Notre Dame.

I left it off my list as well. I basically put my list in order by how likely it would be that I would stop and watch it if I found it on TV while channel surfing.

I actually saw it on TV the other day. I watched it for a few minutes and realized it's actually a pretty boring movie.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
I left it off my list as well. I basically put my list in order by how likely it would be that I would stop and watch it if I found it on TV while channel surfing.

I actually saw it on TV the other day. I watched it for a few minutes and realized it's actually a pretty boring movie.

True, it's just "your favorite" movies. I try to be a little objective when I do these things, though. Weighing movies that I really liked and those that are really good but perhaps I wasn't that fond of.