"sometimes you need a rally beer"

southsider2k5

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,0,609180.story

Chicago White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski addressed reports Wednesday that Boston Red Sox players drank beer in the clubhouse during games last season and admitted that he has done the same.

“Yes, absolutely I have before,” Pierzynski told "The Dan Patrick Show." ”Sometimes you’re just really struggling and you just say, ‘Hey, you know what, I need something to calm me down and let’s have a beer.’ A couple of us will do it together, and sometimes it works out.

"It's just, sometimes you just need a rally beer. If you’re in extra innings and you’re in about the 15th inning and you really need to get going again, that sometimes works for you."

Pierzynski, who is serving as an analyst for Fox during the American League Championship Series, later clarified that he wouldn't drink an entire beer during a game, just a few sips. He also said that he and other Sox players drank shots before one of the 2008 Division Series playoff games in Tampa.

Pierzynski told Patrick he was surprised that Robin Ventura was named manager to replace Ozzie Guillen.

"He was a name I hadn't heard," Pierzynski said. "It’s going to be weird to have a manager that I actually played against.”

Asked about Sox general manager Ken Williams saying he considered asking first baseman Paul Konerko to serve as a player-manager, Pierzynski said, "I thought that was hilarious. When Pete Rose did it (with Cincinnati), he was basically a pinch-hitter coming off the bench. If you know Paul at all, he thinks everything through. He's very analytical ... he analyzes it until he's blue in the face.

"To see him manage and play first base every day, he'd be out there at first missing balls because he'd be worrying about the eighth inning and we're in the third inning."

Umpire: Okay, let’s go over the ground rules. You can’t leave first until you chug a beer. Any man scoring has to chug a beer. You have to chug a beer at the top of all odd-numbered innings. Oh, and the fourth inning is the beer inning.

Chief Wiggum: Hey, we know how to play softball

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/10/12/pie...k-during-games/

A.J. Pierzynski. (Photo by David Banks/Getty Images)

(CBS) It’s no secret Ozzie Guillen kept a loose clubhouse, but just how loose was it?

Apparently, it wasn’t out of the ordinary for White Sox players to be drinking alcohol during games. Catcher AJ Pierzynski said sometimes a “rally beer” was helpful.

“Yes, absolutely I have before,” Pierzynski told The Dan Patrick Show when asked if he had ever drank during a game. “Sometimes you’re just really struggling and you just say ‘Hey, you know what, I need something to calm me down and let’s have a beer.’ A couple of us will do it together, and sometimes it works out. I mean, it just, sometimes you just need a rally beer. If you’re in extra innings and you’re in about the 15th inning and you need to get going again, that sometimes works for you.”

Later in the interview, Pierzynski clarified that he wouldn’t drink an entire beer during a game, only a few sips. He also said that he and other players drank shots before one of the 2008 Division Series playoff games in Tampa Bay.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
One of the guys on my team nearly got us kicked out of the league last year when he was caught drinking a beer in the parking lot before a game.

Play in the Chicago park district where you are looked at oddly if you do not have a cooler on your bench.

People that do not drink or smoke end up drinking or smoking if they play in this league.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
Your league sucks.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
Play in the Chicago park district where you are looked at oddly if you do not have a cooler on your bench.

People that do not drink or smoke end up drinking or smoking if they play in this league.

Yea, damn Elmhurst league doesn't like the pre-game beer.

I think he'll get fined for this one.

It is alcohol which is a drug technically.

I have no problem with it, though.

But some will say if he had one shot, he probably really had 5-6 and might have been impaired.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
This and the Red Sox talk will give birth to a whole slew of Miller Lite commercials-imagine Lillibridge telling Adam Dunn to "Man-Up"

Oh god, that'll be brilliant.

Or they can do Real Men of Genius commercials.

We salute you Adam Dunn for sipping beer during games and hitting .159!

Edited by chw42