5 Sox players off of roster

southsider2k5

scottmerkin Scott Merkin

White Sox outrighted RHP pitchers Kyle Cofield, Josh Kinney and Shane Lindsay and LHP Leyson Septimo to Triple-A Charlotte.

scottmerkin Scott Merkin

White Sox also reinstated Tony Pena from the 60-day DL and requested waivers for the purpose of granting his unconditional release.

ESPNChiSox Doug Padilla

All five players to become free agents.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 03:47 PM)
MDGonzales Mark Gonzales

Addison Reed has a reasonable chance to make the Sox's 2012 opening day roster, and Friday's moves don't hurt.

Would anyone object to a 2012 pitching staff like this:

R: Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Humber, Sale

BP: Axelrod, Stewart, Ohman, Reed, Thornton, Crain, Santos

The might not win, but it's not that bad if they somehow are healthy and stay healthy.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)

The might not win, but it's not that bad if they somehow are healthy and stay healthy.

I think Axelrod/Stewart or another team's prospect will be replacing Danks or Floyd.

This rotation would have a lot of struggles. There's no #1, Peavy can't be trusted, Sale will growing pains, Humber will have to show he wasn't a first half wonder, and it all boils down to Floyd and Danks having 17 win seasons, neither of whom has shown that this is likely to happen.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
I think Axelrod/Stewart or another team's prospect will be replacing Danks or Floyd.

This rotation would have a lot of struggles. There's no #1, Peavy can't be trusted, Sale will growing pains, Humber will have to show he wasn't a first half wonder, and it all boils down to Floyd and Danks having 17 win seasons, neither of whom has shown that this is likely to happen.

I'm not saying they would be a division-winning rotation, but it could be pretty good if everything goes right:

Peavy gets his precious regular offseason that he's wanted, and actually does bounce back. Maybe not Cy caliber, but equal to what Buehrle has done.

Danks and Floyd have been part of a division winner before. They could bounce back--and should.

Humber goes into the second full year and improves a little.

Sale may be a future ace, and could be a very solid 5th starter.

And if the team still doesn't hit by July, Peavy, Danks, and Floyd could be attractive to other teams with the possibility of all of them being free agents a year from now.

I guess what I'm saying is there's no need to gut this team completely this winter. They can let Buehrle go and trade Quentin, and try to compete next year. If it works, great. If it doesn't, then you just trade when you can next season, and retool on the fly.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)

I'd be okay with this only if the Sox could score some runs to support these guys. And I agree... if they aren't doig well by All Star break, then you trade Peavy, Danks and Floyd, Thornton and Crain, and then go into full blown rebuild mode. It's be nice to fleece desperate teams at the trade deadline too.

I would object more strongly to Stewart in the bullpen next year than I did to Sale in the bullpen this year, and I flat out hated Sale in the bullpen this year.

I'd rather have the illegitimate son of Brian Bruney's right arm and Randy Williams's left arm in the bullpen than Stewart next year. He is a converted starter and has only been starting for a brief period. Moving him into the bullpen again totally undoes any chance of actually having him stick long-term as a starter, and as a sinkerballer, he's a much better fit for a starting role than a bullpen role if he can get into the ground ball groove.

If he's not ready to be a major league starter in spring training (and he's not ready right now) then he needs to start at AAA. If the team isn't going to do that, they might as well just cut him, because they're not even trying to build long-term and he's not going to succeed next year in a bullpen role.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 05:48 PM)
I'd be okay with this only if the Sox could score some runs to support these guys. And I agree... if they aren't doig well by All Star break, then you trade Peavy, Danks and Floyd, Thornton and Crain, and then go into full blown rebuild mode. It's be nice to fleece desperate teams at the trade deadline too.

People are already deciding that they'll be OK with starting a rebuild by the midpoint of next season, but when that time comes, they'll just say to do the same thing in 2013.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 08:20 PM)
Doesn't he have to clear waivers to be removed from the 40 man?

If he's outrighted directly, I think it removes him from the 40.

A player who is designated for assignment is immediately removed from the 40-man roster. This gives the team time to decide what to do with the player while freeing up a roster spot for another transaction, if needed. Once a player is designated for assignment, the team has ten days to do one of the following things: the player can be traded, the player can be released, or the player can be put on waivers and, provided he clears, outrighted to the minors. A player who is outrighted to the minors is removed from the 40-man roster but is still paid according to the terms of his guaranteed contract. A player can only be outrighted once in his career without his consent.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)
People are already deciding that they'll be OK with starting a rebuild by the midpoint of next season, but when that time comes, they'll just say to do the same thing in 2013.

This team's f***ed. Only half of the problem was solved.