KW personally scouting in Latin America

southsider2k5

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3483314.story

The White Sox have taken a hit for not producing a steady flow of players from Latin America, but general manager Ken Williams is taking a hands-on approach now. Williams recently left on a scouting mission, according to two sources, and will make a stop in the Dominican Republic.

Despite the firing of Dave Wilder and the departure of legendary scout Jerry Krause to the Diamondbacks in the last three years, Williams has defended the Sox efforts in Latin America and recently pointed to the signings of Cubans Alexei Ramirez and Dayan Viciedo. But it's rare for Williams to make a trip to Latin America to scout.

"We don't discriminate where we get the talent, wherever it can make an impact," Williams said Tuesday at a news conference introducing Robin Ventura as manager. "In 2004, we needed to figure out a way to get one more player to get us over the top, that player was (Tadahito) Iguchi."

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
I think this is a good thing. It shows KW's commitment. It's like a member of management getting off of his ass and going out to the floor to see first hand what is going on.

If you're working down there...it's also sending a message to have the top guy come to look over your shoulder.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 08:37 AM)
What did Legendary Jerry provide? Im just curious

Ozzie Guillen.

May be a good or bad thing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
The farm system was at its best when Kenny was over there. Hopefully this helps.

For being such a prospect trading heavy/barren farm system GM, Kenny was a really, really good minor league director.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
Ozzie Guillen.

May be a good or bad thing.

For being such a prospect trading heavy/barren farm system GM, Kenny was a really, really good minor league director.

It would have been really interesting to see the arc of the franchise if guys like Wright and Barcelo stayed healthy.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 08:35 AM)
I think this is a good thing. It shows KW's commitment. It's like a member of management getting off of his ass and going out to the floor to see first hand what is going on.

Kenny's commitment was never an issue. It's his philosophy I question. Is he going to find another DH or 1B? Or another guy totally clueless about the fundamentals of the game? At least there's a better chance he won't find another football player who happens to play baseball on the side.

Williams has defended the Sox efforts in Latin America and recently pointed to the signings of Cubans Alexei Ramirez and Dayan Viciedo. But it's rare for Williams to make a trip to Latin America to scout.

I'll let Flash chime in on this, but I believe it was the Dominican Republic that was more of an issue of the sox lack of a talent find. (much more very good Dominican players/prospects than say Cubans or even Venezuelans, another issue) Hence the whole "where's our Liriano" saying a few years back.

Maybe he's trying to find winter ball homes for both of his sons?

Of course, with the pressure that is placed on those teams to win right away (and with the plethora of major league players mixed in), they certainly won't last very long.

Once again, we get another reference to Iguchi and 2005, which was such a fluke thing because KW merely watched video of him from Japan, not ever having personally scouted him.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
Everytime I see this headline I wonder if he's really hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Are you saying KW's actually having an affair with an Argentinian woman but pretending to be in the D.R.?

Would be pretty hard to prove he's actually there unless you're with NCIS or CSI.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 02:16 AM)
Are you saying KW's actually having an affair with an Argentinian woman but pretending to be in the D.R.?

Would be pretty hard to prove he's actually there unless you're with NCIS or CSI.

That is too funny. Our ex governor says hello.

The White Sox have taken a hit for not producing a steady flow of players from Latin America, but general manager Ken Williams is taking a hands-on approach now. Williams recently left on a scouting mission, according to two sources, and will make a stop in the Dominican Republic.

Just reading between the lines, it doesn't mention scouting baseball players :o it just mentions a hands on approach and taking a hit. I'm guessing he's looking for someone he can round the bases with.