Exotic animals escape Ohio farm; owner found dead

Texsox

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Animal activists were freaking out after the mountain lion was killed in Roscoe Village several years ago. There was even a house set on fire near the Daley's vacation home in protest.

I'd love to see what those goofs do after this incident. Let's see if they have the balls to travel to rural Ohio and start their bulls*** with the locals.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 09:16 PM)
People are already getting self righteous about it (don't mean you, MEANS). It makes me sick. If this happened anywhere near any of these people's homes, they'd be in favor of any means of destroying the animals, up to and including f***ing napalm.

I'm with you. I have a three year old and a five year old. Don't endanger my kids just because this guy lost it. if that means killing them, then kill them.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 10:16 PM)
People are already getting self righteous about it (don't mean you, MEANS). It makes me sick. If this happened anywhere near any of these people's homes, they'd be in favor of any means of destroying the animals, up to and including f***ing napalm.

that's cool and I honestly just wanted to know if they tried tranquilizers or not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 06:58 AM)
I'm with you. I have a three year old and a five year old. Don't endanger my kids just because this guy lost it. if that means killing them, then kill them.

Absolutely.

So far, the reaction has been pretty calm though. Even animal rights groups are acknowledging they had little choice but to kill many of them. I'm actually impressed they managed to capture some, which they did.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 09:18 PM)
Also, many of these animals are products of overly successful breeding programs. They aren't as endangered, at least the zoo produced as one may imagine.

This is a pretty obtuse way to look at it. Most of the animals are on the critically endangered list, just because a Zoo is producing more of them doesnt make them less endangered in the wild. Zoo's rarely breed them to release them back in to the wild

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 09:08 AM)
This is a pretty obtuse way to look at it. Most of the animals are on the critically endangered list, just because a Zoo is producing more of them doesnt make them less endangered in the wild. Zoo's rarely breed them to release them back in to the wild

And the ones in private zoos are almost always from the breeding programs, not captured in the wild. Which is why I felt the comparison was valid. They were not shooting from the population that is endangered, they were shooting animals where the most probable source is breeding programs.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
And the ones in private zoos are almost always from the breeding programs, not captured in the wild. Which is why I felt the comparison was valid. They were not shooting from the population that is endangered, they were shooting animals where the most probable source is breeding programs.

It still doesnt make the animal less endangered Tex, and it still doesnt make this any less tragic and stupid. If it came down to only a few wild animals left and a dwindling wild population, the zoos do attempt a reintroduction process as they are with the White Rhinos.

I hear what you are saying but these animals will not help the threatened ones in the wild. They were bred and lived as pets. It is a sad and terrible act and a waste of these lives. I was only saying that these are not from an endangered population. in fact just the opposite. The cost of buying a lion cub is only a couple thousand dollars. There is no shortage of ones for pets.

So...I must say...before this story, I had no idea that such thing as a "Privately owned zoo" could even exist in this country.

And on top of that, we appear to have had a large, privately owned zoo where one guy could do an awful lot of damage.

And a guy who has had "Animal cruelty issues" for years, with the animals living in "Filth" according to ABC.

Seriously...why the Hell is any of this legal?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
So...I must say...before this story, I had no idea that such thing as a "Privately owned zoo" could even exist in this country.

And on top of that, we appear to have had a large, privately owned zoo where one guy could do an awful lot of damage.

And a guy who has had "Animal cruelty issues" for years, with the animals living in "Filth" according to ABC.

There was one in Batavia, IL, right up the street from me in high school The guy had a few tigers, lions, panthers, wolves and even a Liger, as well as many different types of deer species from around the world(Ibex, mule, miniature) and Bison and Buffalo as well.

The place was called Land O'Lorin, and the owner is now in jail for solicitation of murder. I heard more than a few stories in HS that the big cats helped the guy dispose of a few problems

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
There was one in Batavia, IL, right up the street from me in high school The guy had a few tigers, lions, panthers, wolves and even a Liger, as well as many different types of deer species from around the world(Ibex, mule, miniature) and Bison and Buffalo as well.

The place was called Land O'Lorin, and the owner is now in jail for solicitation of murder. I heard more than a few stories in HS that the big cats helped the guy dispose of a few problems

And Kyyle goes with the hard sell on the "Man, this **** shouldn't be legal" part.

There's a guy in Lockport who has exotic animals, mostly wolves but also a bear (at one point). It is a rescue society and education-type thing, though. It's about 1/2 a mile from my parents house and before the area was built up, he'd walk his wolves around. IIRC from my most recent visit there a few years ago as a camp counselor, he has "all the same licenses as Lincoln Park Zoo" to maintain and house animals. As long as he has the appropriate facilities, he can have pretty much any animal he'd like. http://www.bigrunwolfranch.org/

You can also hear the wolves at my parents many nights (not as much now with the 355 noise), which was pretty awesome growing up. He used to have a peacock, too, and those things make crazy noises.

Edited by StrangeSox

It's protected in the Bill of Rights, Second Amendment, the right to bear arms. Big cats as pets. I was equally surprised it was legal. Even more upsetting, south of the border a major status symbol for the cartel leaders are these wild animal preserves. As mentioned earlier, it seems that it is also a way to getting rid of trouble.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 01:39 PM)
And Kyyle goes with the hard sell on the "Man, this **** shouldn't be legal" part.

I think a lot of the problem is regulating the back country exotic zoos and shutting them down. The cost of going after these guys far outweighs doing nothing, so they do nothing. There are a lot of these things sprinkled around places you never would have known.

Hell, the place in Batavia was a 1/4 mile west of Randall Road, at the intersection of Deerpath and Main st. Literally right behind the Jewel/Osco plaza if you know the area. If this sort of escape happened in Batavia, it would be some bad news

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
There's a guy in Lockport who has exotic animals, mostly wolves but also a bear (at one point). It is a rescue society and education-type thing, though. It's about 1/2 a mile from my parents house and before the area was built up, he'd walk his wolves around. IIRC from my most recent visit there a few years ago as a camp counselor, he has "all the same licenses as Lincoln Park Zoo" to maintain and house animals. As long as he has the appropriate facilities, he can have pretty much any animal he'd like. http://www.bigrunwolfranch.org/

You can also hear the wolves at my parents many nights (not as much now with the 355 noise), which was pretty awesome growing up. He used to have a peacock, too, and those things make crazy noises.

I learned that peacocks make scary noises at the zoo, and it was definitely jarring.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
I learned that peacocks make scary noises at the zoo, and it was definitely jarring.

At the LA County Arboretum, I saw a peacock steal a person's grapes when they weren't looking. (No metaphor in this statement.)