Worst Farm System in Baseball

Marty34

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)
If it's "Just another reason", then you're explained to me why it's very likely unimportant compared to other issues.

Issues are not simply black and white. Hard slot has many negative impacts. Simply, if the draft was skewed to favor big market teams than the Royals would not have had one of the best systems EVER. The Rays would not Have been abele to do what they do.

And also, the small market teams seem to be doing ok with signing international talent as well. Tis may be shocking, but the big boys are not outspending in that area either.

The Sox system is abysmal because they don't draft quality (as they refuse to pay above slot) and their international reputation is a disgrace thanks to years of corruption.

It's their own fault and it will continue to be a detriment until there is a massive shift in approach going forward.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Nov 4, 2011 -> 08:23 PM)
So? Some guys go back to school (or go depending on if they're high school talent). They're betting on themselves and think they can get a berthed draft option down the road.

Or put another way, IIRC Gerrit Cole was taken by the Yankees in 2008 with their first round pick but chose to go to UCLA and was then chosen number one this year by Pittsburgh. The bull crap that big markets spend more than small markets in the draft is so wrong. Pretty much all teams besides the white sox spend similar amounts total in the draft. And again, to hammer this point home, a hard slot only turns away athletic players (potential stars).

Your assumption that this never happens, was completely wrong.

After reading through the thread as much as I could, I'm wondering how we could define a good and great farm system and how long would it take to get there. If the goal of the farm system is producing mlb ready talent as quickly as possible, then swapping draft picks for 25 man roster players does that. If it is 25 man roster players at the cheapest price, then drafting and developing until they are mlb ready and under control accomplishes that. Both I believe are valid points of view and both would produce markedly different farm teams.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 5, 2011 -> 08:56 AM)
After reading through the thread as much as I could, I'm wondering how we could define a good and great farm system and how long would it take to get there. If the goal of the farm system is producing mlb ready talent as quickly as possible, then swapping draft picks for 25 man roster players does that. If it is 25 man roster players at the cheapest price, then drafting and developing until they are mlb ready and under control accomplishes that. Both I believe are valid points of view and both would produce markedly different farm teams.

Well if we had Theo it would be instantly.. according to all the sports people :unsure:

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Nov 4, 2011 -> 09:09 PM)
Issues are not simply black and white. Hard slot has many negative impacts. Simply, if the draft was skewed to favor big market teams than the Royals would not have had one of the best systems EVER. The Rays would not Have been abele to do what they do.

And also, the small market teams seem to be doing ok with signing international talent as well. Tis may be shocking, but the big boys are not outspending in that area either.

I don't understand how you keep coming to this conclusion.

Please explain to me how a hard slot system is going to disallow the small-market teams, or put another way, the teams that have been generally bad throughout the last decade, from continuing to put together strong farm systems? Until someone points out that the small market teams are building their franchises through signability risks AFTER the first few rounds, I'm going to continue to believe that the reason the smaller market teams have strong systems is because they habitually pick higher than the larger market teams or the teams that have been generally much stronger at the mlb level. The Pirates and Royals are not going to be missing their chance at Mike Moustakas or Gerritt Cole if a hard slot is instituted. You keep pointing to the #1 and #2 picks in the draft as the reason the small market teams have great systems. WELL THAT WILL NEVER CHANGE BY INSTITUTING A HARD SLOT SYSTEM. What would possibly change is the ability of the small market teams to improve their systems by drafting players that drop in the LATER rounds for signability reasons. And yet no one has been able to point these players out.