Worst Farm System in Baseball

Marty34

The advantage of having a great farm system is that it can enable your team to go on a good run (like the Indians or Braves in the 1990s or the Twins in the 2000s). Start bringing in super talent to fill in holes/opening and keeping your team salaries at an affordable rate.

I would including having a good drafts and good player development in the mix when looking at a farm system.

In order to just win one World Series or to have a good two or three year streak (like the White Sox 2005-06)..you can make some smart trades, find some reasonably priced free agents, look to sign players from places like Japan or Cuba..

If the White Sox want to go on a good run and win a lot of divisional titles they are going to have to improve their farm system. Doesn't really matter where we are ranked now. We all know that we could improve in this area.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier in the season, someone commented on all the tigers signings and said something to the effect of "individually, each player is a nice pickup, but as a group, it's very average", it was about the epitomy of the 05 white sox group. It seems that the last decade has proved that exceptional strengths cannot overcome huge weaknesses...see seattle, boston, nyy. I don't quite know how to apply, but it seems that if you can make that move that will pin one aspect of your team to excellent at the expense of upgrading another to good/very good, it is a move that doesn't always bear fruit.

Elias Rankings came out for Type A and Type B free agents. It sucks that Buehrle just missed being a Type A free agent. We could of gotten an extra 1st or 2nd round draft pick if he didn't tail off at the end of the year.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/09/2010...s-rankings.html

Edited by PolishPrince34

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Oct 29, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
Elias Rankings came out for Type A and Type B free agents. It sucks that Buehrle just missed being a Type A free agent. We could of gotten an extra 1st or 2nd round draft pick if he didn't tail off at the end of the year.

I really believe that AJ is worth much more than people around here seem to think in trade. He might be type A next year too. 6 mil isn't really that much money for a year.

I also find it hilarious that he has the same numerical ranking as joe mauer.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
I really believe that AJ is worth much more than people around here seem to think in trade. He might be type A next year too. 6 mil isn't really that much money for a year.

They've at least shopped him 2 years in a row. 2010, they'd have moved him had they had any takers, and that was when he was paid less.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
They've at least shopped him 2 years in a row. 2010, they'd have moved him had they had any takers, and that was when he was paid less.

What makes you think they'd move him in 2010? He had no suitable replacement then. Last year too. Was he even healthy at the deadline? They were still going "all in" at the time.

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
What makes you think they'd move him in 2010? He had no suitable replacement then. Last year too. Was he even healthy at the deadline? They were still going "all in" at the time.

The phrase "All in" wasn't used until offseason 2010. They tried to move him in May 2010, before the 25-5 run, and would have done so had anyone wanted him. Yes he was healthy, but he was also a free agent at the end of the year, so moving him would have been an effort to get something for him. He also earned 10-5 rights in June of 2010.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
The phrase "All in" wasn't used until offseason 2010. They tried to move him in May 2010, before the 25-5 run, and would have done so had anyone wanted him. Yes he was healthy, but he was also a free agent at the end of the year, so moving him would have been an effort to get something for him. He also earned 10-5 rights in June of 2010.

Yeah I was talking about deadline time 2011 with the second part of my post. Not sure why I called it last year.

They could have moved him quite easily in may 2010. They probably felt entitled to a return, if they even tried. He was coming off a .300 year. I am not going to believe otherwise without a reason. What is the reason? Why do you state it like its a fact?

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
Yeah I was talking about deadline time 2011 with the second part of my post. Not sure why I called it last year.

They could have moved him quite easily in may 2010. They probably felt entitled to a return, if they even tried. He was coming off a .300 year. I am not going to believe otherwise without a reason. What is the reason? Why do you state it like its a fact?

AJ complaining about the 2010 trade rumors isn't enough? There are also people here who have said flat out the Sox tried to trade AJ and received crickets chirping in reply. AJ also hit about .220 in April, 2010, so his 2010 numbers looked like crap at the time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
AJ complaining about the 2010 trade rumors isn't enough? There are also people here who have said flat out the Sox tried to trade AJ and received crickets chirping in reply. AJ also hit about .220 in April, 2010, so his 2010 numbers looked like crap at the time.

So you are basing it all on rumors. No, that doesn't seem like enough to me. The fact that they are published rumors doesn't help. No where in that article does it say they were offered nothing of value in return. I am not saying you are wrong, I am just saying I would need more evidence than that to believe a catcher coming off a year with a .300 average and .750 OPS has exactly zero trade value.

You are hurting your own case by saying he sucked in april 2010. I mean, if that's the reason no one wanted him at the time, it doesn't suggest that no one would want him right now, and that was the point of my post.

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)

I also find it hilarious that he has the same numerical ranking as joe mauer.

In order to get get compensation for a Type A free agent you need to offer AJ arbitration. There is no way the Sox going to offer him at 6 million a year at the Age of 37 in 2012. No chance we get compensation so the best hope is an injury happens to another club during spring training or the season.

Edited by PolishPrince34

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 03:37 PM)
In order to get get compensation for a Type A free agent you need to offer AJ arbitration. There is no way the Sox going to offer him at 6 million a year at the Age of 37 in 2012. No chance we get compensation so the best hope is an injury happens to another club during spring training or the season.

He'll be 35 for the entire 2012 season, but you are almost certainly right about not offering it to him.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 03:37 PM)

Yeah, unless AJ were to sign a free agent deal before the arbitration deadline, there is no way we are getting a draft pick for AJ. People just need to quit thinking that. Bookmark this post and refer to it as necessary.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
Kevin Goldstein of BP said the White Sox system might be the worst he has ever seen.

I just wish this team spent money in the draft and didn't follow the Selig slotting reconmendations.

Well, that's not going to happen. We just need to hope that the new CBA will include hard slotting or else we'll continue to be at a disadvantage. Also, having some presence in Latin America (outside of Cuba) would help.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
Well, that's not going to happen. We just need to hope that the new CBA will include hard slotting or else we'll continue to be at a disadvantage. Also, having some presence in Latin America (outside of Cuba) would help.

Disadvantage? Being cheap is not a disadvantage.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)

Hard-slotting isn't going to happen, and it shouldn't. Sounds like a tax will be imposed if teams spend over a certain amount in the draft overall.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Oct 29, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)

Just to clarify here... these are NOT the Elias rankings, and this is NOT official. This is a projection based on reverse engineering of what they think the forumulae are, and it was already discussed a few weeks ago. So we do not yet know if MB will be Type A or B.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)
Why shouldn't hard slotting happen? I can only see good coming from it.

Because:

1. Several of the teams with high revenues like having the small market teams unwilling/unable to compete for big money players. I don't think the Angels are mad about Jared Weaver falling to them because of signability.

2. The players don't want limits to signing revenue to decrease the earnings of the new players coming in.