Frank Thomas: I could be the White Sox hitting coach.

justBLAZE

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
I think a fellow that put up the numbers that the Big Hurt did in his career knows something about hitting. Whether he is the choice for hitting coach remains to be seen, but I would have no problem with it. The Big Hurt is a dedicated Sox team member.

Yeah, I love the experts around here dismissing him because he was cantankerous as a superstar or because of his batting stance. He was able to make adjustments over the course of his career, and if it's something he has interest in doing I don't really see why he wouldn't get a fair chance at the gig with the White Sox or another organization based on the back of his baseball card alone.

In case anyone is somehow in need of a reminder... http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/thomafr04.shtml

Edited by Steve9347

The plate discipline and his ability to adjust constantly to both injuries and pitching styles (remember when they figure out they could get him out by pounding him up and in?) make me think he might be good at it. His particular stance and swing don't, but that quote about understanding that his style might not apply is good.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
Yeah, I love the experts around here dismissing him because he was cantankerous as a superstar or because of his batting stance. He was able to make adjustments over the course of his career, and if it's something he has interest in doing I don't really see why he wouldn't get a fair chance at the gig with the White Sox or another organization based on the back of his baseball card alone.

In case anyone is somehow in need of a reminder... http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/thomafr04.shtml

This is a guy who had to have his own personal hitting coach flown in because he couldn't work with anyone else. To me, that doesn't bode well as a teacher if he isn't able to adjust to different personalities.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 05:40 PM)
This is a guy who had to have his own personal hitting coach flown in because he couldn't work with anyone else. To me, that doesn't bode well as a teacher if he isn't able to adjust to different personalities.

He couldn't work with anyone else or he preferred to stick with the guy that helped make him a HOFer?

Wait, hasn't Frank been mentioned by fans as a possibility? Has no other journalist contacted Frank? That would seem pretty strange. I would think any reporter on the Sox beat would be talking to him. And for those that want coaches with experience, don't you want the team to ignore Frank?

I'm surprised that no one is interested in Frank's situation. His name was all over the thread when Robin was announced. I understand the Cowley hate and that Sox fans have to attack everything Cowley writes, but who they are, and who they are not interviewing is interesting. I'm glad that the team seems to be looking in the direction of an experienced hitting coach. I'd like to see Robin surrounded by a little experience. But it's not like Cowley interviewed a lesser Sox retired player, he interviewed Frank, a legitimate name.

I wouldn't mind Frank as a hitting coach. I generally think that Hriniak's style would do wonders for a lot of hitters on this team, notably Rios and Beckham but also Morel and even Dunn too. My biggest concern would be with Konerko. Konerko was a huge advocate of Walker and, even as great of a professional as Konerko really is, I think their egos could clash. I could see Thomas wanting to make some sort of adjustment with Konerko's swing if he were to get into a funk, and Konerko would shrug it off which would lead to confusion amongst the players as to who is actually in charge. That would be a situation where having a well respected manager who is good at dealing with conflict would really come into play, and, as has been mentioned, Ventura has done that with Thomas before.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 05:46 AM)
I'm surprised that no one is interested in Frank's situation. His name was all over the thread when Robin was announced. I understand the Cowley hate and that Sox fans have to attack everything Cowley writes, but who they are, and who they are not interviewing is interesting. I'm glad that the team seems to be looking in the direction of an experienced hitting coach. I'd like to see Robin surrounded by a little experience. But it's not like Cowley interviewed a lesser Sox retired player, he interviewed Frank, a legitimate name.

Just stop.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 05:50 AM)
I wouldn't mind Frank as a hitting coach. I generally think that Hriniak's style would do wonders for a lot of hitters on this team, notably Rios and Beckham but also Morel and even Dunn too. My biggest concern would be with Konerko. Konerko was a huge advocate of Walker and, even as great of a professional as Konerko really is, I think their egos could clash. I could see Thomas wanting to make some sort of adjustment with Konerko's swing if he were to get into a funk, and Konerko would shrug it off which would lead to confusion amongst the players as to who is actually in charge. That would be a situation where having a well respected manager who is good at dealing with conflict would really come into play, and, as has been mentioned, Ventura has done that with Thomas before.

They did have issues with each other when Thomas was on the team. I hadn't really though of Konerko, but that is a really good point.

I understand that Frank Thomas is a fan favorite. I love the big guy. But remember it was just a few years ago when Frank and KW were in to it BAD and KW was on TV yelling "HE BETTER STAY OUT OF WHITE SOX BUSINESS!!" Now I know that the hatchet has been buried so to speak and that these two are cordial to one another, but I wouldn't push it, and I don't think KW would either.

I'd be shocked if Frank Thomas was hired to be the hitting coach.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 07:51 AM)
I know PK14 has been great the last few years...but with the state of the clubhouse, maybe having someone who clashed with PK14 on hitting wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Taking your best hitter out of the zone is a good thing? Uh...