Frank Thomas: I could be the White Sox hitting coach.

justBLAZE

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)
Serious question...how?

Apparently because he said he'd do so in one of his bumbling, clueless, searching for the right thing to say repeatedly interviews after his hiring.

Back to Frank, I see no reason why he shouldn't get a shot somewhere if he wants to be a hitting coach.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
Apparently because he said he'd do so in one of his bumbling, clueless, searching for the right thing to say repeatedly interviews after his hiring.

Back to Frank, I see no reason why he shouldn't get a shot somewhere if he wants to be a hitting coach.

And to be fair if anyone can relate to horrible struggles at the major league level, it is a guy who had an 0-41 as a young player. I don't know how it will play with Dunn and Rios, but I have high hopes of Robin being able to give something to Morel and Beckham specifically.

We saw the influence of Vizquel on Ramirez last year. Hopefully we see the same sort of results on the kids this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 11:40 PM)
This is a guy who had to have his own personal hitting coach flown in because he couldn't work with anyone else. To me, that doesn't bode well as a teacher if he isn't able to adjust to different personalities.

Walt Hriniak mind you. The best there was in the biz

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
When is the last time you told one of your bosses you couldn't work with them, and I can only work with the guy you already fired?

Hitting coaches are far from players' bosses. They are closer to players' assistants than their bosses.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 07:27 AM)
They did have issues with each other when Thomas was on the team. I hadn't really though of Konerko, but that is a really good point.

I remembered them having issues a couple different times - I seem to recall in 2002 when Thomas was really struggling and Konerko shot out of the gate like a cannon they were asking PK about Frank and he'd criticized him pretty heavily. Hell, I may have even found the location of that article at some point in time here within the past 2-3 months, but it cost $3 to access it and I'm not going to pay money for that kind of stuff. That's I don't recall if Frank did the same in 2003, but it's quite ironic that Thomas and Konerko had flip-flopping slumps to start seasons in back to back years.

I think both have cooled down tremendously from that point and I think they'd be able to co-exist. It's just a concern.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 11:29 PM)
When is the last time you told one of your bosses you couldn't work with them, and I can only work with the guy you already fired?

I kind of think that just because the bosses let someone go it isn't necessarily right or justified. I think it does speak volumes that Frank thought so highly of the man considering the outstanding numbers that #35 put up in hs career. I am sure there were things going on there we don't know about though.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)
I kind of think that just because the bosses let someone go it isn't necessarily right or justified. I think it does speak volumes that Frank thought so highly of the man considering the outstanding numbers that #35 put up in hs career. I am sure there were things going on there we don't know about though.

Apparently loyalty is only a valuable commodity when half of Soxtalk isn't in the "F*ck Frank Thomas" Camp.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
That's a bit of an exaggeration.

Not to mention that is has been a consistent response. I sure don't recall anyone saying hire Jim Thome, but not Frank Thomas because they like him better or something. The response has been almost universal to get someone who actually has experience as a hitting coach that amounts to more than I used to hit the ball a really long ways.

If Frank really wants to do this, take notes from Ryne Sandberg. I don't care that Ventura got hired, he should not have been the manager of the White Sox right now. Enough with the inexperienced and no experienced crap. Hire someone who has done the job before.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)
Not to mention that is has been a consistent response. I sure don't recall anyone saying hire Jim Thome, but not Frank Thomas because they like him better or something. The response has been almost universal to get someone who actually has experience as a hitting coach that amounts to more than I used to hit the ball a really long ways.

If Frank really wants to do this, take notes from Ryne Sandberg. I don't care that Ventura got hired, he should not have been the manager of the White Sox right now. Enough with the inexperienced and no experienced crap. Hire someone who has done the job before.

Exactly.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 06:21 AM)
I remembered them having issues a couple different times - I seem to recall in 2002 when Thomas was really struggling and Konerko shot out of the gate like a cannon they were asking PK about Frank and he'd criticized him pretty heavily. Hell, I may have even found the location of that article at some point in time here within the past 2-3 months, but it cost $3 to access it and I'm not going to pay money for that kind of stuff. That's I don't recall if Frank did the same in 2003, but it's quite ironic that Thomas and Konerko had flip-flopping slumps to start seasons in back to back years.

I think both have cooled down tremendously from that point and I think they'd be able to co-exist. It's just a concern.

I seem to remember the Big Hurt was chastised maybe by PK over a perceived lack of hustle or something only to find out Frank had a broken foot? I believe PK apologized profusely. Am I right or wrong here?