Frank Thomas: I could be the White Sox hitting coach.

justBLAZE

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 06:36 PM)
I seem to remember the Big Hurt was chastised maybe by PK over a perceived lack of hustle or something only to find out Frank had a broken foot? I believe PK apologized profusely. Am I right or wrong here?

Almost certain that was David Wells, not Konerko.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 09:57 PM)
I'm also fairly certain that the quote was recorded by a specialized microphone that muffles the sounds of otherwise deafening Twinkie devouring.

He was actually brazen enough to come out and say it on his weekly radio appearance at the time.

Kind of amazing how fast that guy's career went down the tubes.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 10:06 PM)
He was actually brazen enough to come out and say it on his weekly radio appearance at the time.

Kind of amazing how fast that guy's career went down the tubes.

How fast his career went down the tubes? He won 50 games the 3 seasons after he left the Sox and pitched until he was 44 years old.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 05:56 AM)
How fast his career went down the tubes? He won 50 games the 3 seasons after he left the Sox and pitched until he was 44 years old.

Fast facts. Did you know that off the top of your head? :notworthy

QUOTE (jwmann2 @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 09:42 PM)
It's pretty simple. You surround the organization with people that are passionate about the franchise.

Mark Mcgwire is the hitting coach for the Cardinals. They are playing baseball tonight.....

Frank Thomas was almost as good of a hitter as Mcgwire.

Quite a few teams do that. They're not all in the World Series, though.

I guess I'm lazy, but I don't feel enough energy to go through this entire thread. So if I regurgitate any comments or ideas....my bad.

I love Frank. He is one of the smartest hitters I've ever seen. However, I'm not sold about him as a hitting coach. He was smart, yes, but he was also a guy that just seemed to inherently know how to hit. I'd lean towards types that really had to work for it. That's my first problem with him being the guy.

My second issue is simple. I don't ever want to see Frank Thomas fired.

Third, his technique was very different. I have a hard time seeing Beckham lacing doubles to the gap with his back foot off the ground. I just don't see it. Frank had an impeccable approach, but his mechanics were something that wouldn't work for a lot of people.

Fourth, Frank Thomas was a better hitter than Mark McGwire, even without taking steroids into account. Just saying. I'm shocked this hasn't already been pointed out.

Someone name a hitter whose style would work for every player? I'm not certain what Cooper may have shown in his 1-5 5+ ERA MLB career that would have proven he would be a good pitching coach. A good coach has to be more than do what I did . . . He has to understand the basics, the fundamentals, be a great communicator (where I think Frank may have a challenge), have a good eye for details, be able to encourage, be a good teacher.

QUOTE (jwmann2 @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 09:42 PM)
It's pretty simple. You surround the organization with people that are passionate about the franchise.

Mark Mcgwire is the hitting coach for the Cardinals. They are playing baseball tonight.....

Frank Thomas was almost as good of a hitter as Mcgwire.

The only area that Mac excelled over Frank was steroid aided long balls.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 29, 2011 -> 06:26 AM)
The only area that Mac excelled over Frank was steroid aided long balls.

Agreed. It's a shame that his greatness will be overlooked by some because of this, although I think almost all smart baseball fans give him credit for being one of the clean guys in a dirty, dirty era. I know it's unrealistic and never going to happen, but I still feel that Frank should have been awarded his third MVP when Giambi admitted to steroid use during that season. I'm still pissed off about that.

Anyways, I take Frank over Mac any day of the week. While Mac had a nice steroid fueled run, Frank had one of the greatest 7 year stretches of all-time.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

My second issue is simple. I don't ever want to see Frank Thomas fired.

That is true. It is a huge risk to hire a Sox player cause feelings will be bad when he gets fired. It's a huge huge risk to ruin the player's legacy with the fans.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)
His legacy survived the post-2005 firing.

Yes but look at Ozzie.

To those of us Ozzie lovers it hurts badly to see him get shown the door.

I know ... I know ... he resigned. Hiring former players usually ends badly.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 29, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
Yes but look at Ozzie.

To those of us Ozzie lovers it hurts badly to see him get shown the door.

I know ... I know ... he resigned. Hiring former players usually ends badly.

Ozzie's legacy was 2005. He was shown the door because of multiple years of failure and turning the locker room into a completely dysfunctional mess.

In 5 years, when you ask about Ozzie, the first thing you'll remember is 2005.

The fact that he became a caricature of a manager for a few years will be the part that goes away in memories. It's only because certain people insisted that we had to view his current performance during the lens of 2005 that it seems like 05 has been forgotten.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
Ozzie's legacy was 2005. He was shown the door because of multiple years of failure and turning the locker room into a completely dysfunctional mess.

In 5 years, when you ask about Ozzie, the first thing you'll remember is 2005.

The fact that he became a caricature of a manager for a few years will be the part that goes away in memories. It's only because certain people insisted that we had to view his current performance during the lens of 2005 that it seems like 05 has been forgotten.

Yes. People still love ditka and he went through a similar situation.