Potential free agents?

Buehrle>Wood

We're a club who relies pretty much less on FA signings than anyone(I think Dunn, Crain, Vizquel, and AJ are the only ML FA signings on our roster), and that will probably be more true than ever this offseason. But does anyone have any ideas for a good FA signing, no matter how minor? Here's a list: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/transactions/free-agents

I'm guessing we'll grab some sort of veteran UIF. Perhaps Ramon Santiago or Aaron Miles. Hype.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
Wouldn't be surprised to see Escobar traded this offseason, actually. Escobar is going to be blocked for a while.

I wouldn't be stunned, but I don't know where the Sox would get a return big enough to make that worth it for the Sox.

I got a feeling this off-season is gonna be a lot like the 09 one. We're not going to sign anyone worthwhile. If anything, it's going to be some reclamation project for Cooper to fix or some role players for the bench. The opening day lineup is pretty much set already. I like the idea of Bedard a lot, but I think he'll get a decent deal from somebody. He's coming off a decent season. I would not mind bringing in a Josh Willingham for the right amount of money as insurance. Just in case Dunn or Rios both suck it up next year. David DeJesus also seems like a good buy-low candidate.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 12:33 AM)
I'm telling you that KW has at least one more "WTF WAS THAT" move up his sleeve this offseason.

And we will all LOVE it then hate it if it goes bad.

He trades Danks, Floyd, Quentin for a mega package. Signs CJ Wilson.

/half-sarcasm.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 01:03 AM)
I got a feeling this off-season is gonna be a lot like the 09 one. We're not going to sign anyone worthwhile. If anything, it's going to be some reclamation project for Cooper to fix or some role players for the bench. The opening day lineup is pretty much set already. I like the idea of Bedard a lot, but I think he'll get a decent deal from somebody. He's coming off a decent season. I would not mind bringing in a Josh Willingham for the right amount of money as insurance. Just in case Dunn or Rios both suck it up next year. David DeJesus also seems like a good buy-low candidate.

I'd actually be a little frustrated if we looked at this roster and thought "What we really need is another OF." We have 5 who deserve playing time either based on their performance or based on their contracts already. We can trade Q and still have more OF's than starting spots for them.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 03:52 AM)
And we will all LOVE it then hate it if it goes bad.

He trades Danks, Floyd, Quentin for a mega package. Signs CJ Wilson.

/half-sarcasm.

I think it will be more of a love/hate fight that ends up in a 60 page thread that goes no where and gets shutdown, only to be bumped in June by someone showing off their E-cock.

It says on Yahoo that Thome is going to the Phillies for 1.25 million.

Two questions:

1.) Why would the Phillies want a DH on their team?? For the games against the AL? Seems dumb to have a roster spot for a guy who is basically a pinch hitter.

2.) Why would an old vet like Thome want to sit the bench all season? I know baseball isn't a real job and a million bucks is great, but isn't there some AL team that could use him as a part time DH? Or full time DH? Twins maybe?? Indians maybe??

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 4, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)

Two questions:

1.) Why would the Phillies want a DH on their team?? For the games against the AL? Seems dumb to have a roster spot for a guy who is basically a pinch hitter.

2.) Why would an old vet like Thome want to sit the bench all season? I know baseball isn't a real job and a million bucks is great, but isn't there some AL team that could use him as a part time DH? Or full time DH? Twins maybe?? Indians maybe??

He'll get time at first base. Howard won't be back to start the season.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Nov 5, 2011 -> 05:35 AM)
He'll get time at first base. Howard won't be back to start the season.

Is that a good idea? He'll be a butcher at first base with absolutely no range considering his girth and his age.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 5, 2011 -> 02:09 AM)
Is that a good idea? He'll be a butcher at first base with absolutely no range considering his girth and his age.

Yeah, I don't really get the deal from either side.

Jim Thome can't possibly be any decent at 1B, is probably an injury risk at 1B anyway, and I don't know why he would want to be a guy who is only going to become a full-time pinch hitter once Howard returns, and risk injury having to play 1st.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 4, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)

Two questions:

Isn't it pretty obvious? He wants to win a WS and the Phillies will be favorites in the NL again?

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Nov 4, 2011 -> 06:25 PM)
Dontrelle Willis

convert him to a reliever. He had great numbers against lefties last year. Don't use him as a starter. That train has gone and left.

Make him a LOOGY.

He is too damn wild and inconsistent to trust in a LOOGY role.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 5, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
Isn't it pretty obvious? He wants to win a WS and the Phillies will be favorites in the NL again?

He also won't be on the bench the full season, he'll probably have a month or two of regular play to start the year while Howard is on the shelf. Maybe longer.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 5, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
He is too damn wild and inconsistent to trust in a LOOGY role.

Not really. Look at his last two years stats against lefties. Very few walks and a lot of K's against lefties. If nobody wants him, sign him to a minor league contract or major league minimum.