2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
Isn't the PCL the league where every park is a ridiculous hitters park and everyone's hitting numbers are inflated? Awfully impressive for your OPS to jump from .810-.830 range to 1.056 when moving up to AAA.

The PCL does inflate offense. League average OPS last season in the PCL was just over .800. Still, 1.056 is significantly better than the league. Part of the increase might be explained by his .371 BABIP.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
The PCL does inflate offense. League average OPS last season in the PCL was just over .800. Still, 1.056 is significantly better than the league. Part of the increase might be explained by his .371 BABIP.

Lucky son of a b****.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
I like this trade alot for the Cubs. I think Theo is doing the right thing as far as rebuilding goes, tear the whole damn thing down and build it back up.

What has he done?

He is paying Chris Volstad $18M.

He let all of the free agents walk.

He traded for a guy that hit lower than Adam Dunn, granted in a small sample size that may be blocked by another prospect. If he is going to rebuild, move the almighty Marmol and leave Cashner to close which is what SD is going to do with him.

They traded a decent prospect for a below average 3B that struggles to hit in Coors sans one year.

He traded a very good set up man for a potential #5 starter and a smaller Ryan Theriot.

I actually think KW has done a better job at rebuilding than Theo has which I know on this site is blasphemy. The cubs could be epically bad this year if they move Garza.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
I actually think KW has done a better job at rebuilding than Theo has which I know on this site is blasphemy. The cubs could be epically bad this year if they move Garza.

I enjoy hating on Theo as much as the next guy, but you can't judge anything on the 2012 season. Everyone knows they will be bad, there was no way around it after Zell & Hendry went all in. Everything he does now is with an eye on 3 years from now, so until then it's hard to judge much.

He's never had to rebuild like this, so we will see what happens. He found young talent in Boston, but he also inherited a playoff team and had boatloads of money.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)
Wow, what a steal for the Cubs. When I first saw tweets that the Cubs got Rizzo, I thought for sure the Padres had Garza......but Andrew Cashner??? Oh my god, Hoyer is a genius.

yeah.

hoyer.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
yeah.

hoyer.

You gotta give him some credit, it takes some combination of skill and cojones to attempt that hard to destroy San Diego as punishment for what...hiring him in the first place?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
I see a GM who has set forth a plan and is acting on it... not making moves that say "rebuild" and "retool" all at once like someone else in the city.

That's what I see, too. My Cubs fan friends are confused because they haven't seen something like this before. They're still expecting the Cubs to sign Fielder, and I keep telling them not to expect that to happen.

The Cubs will probably stink this year, but they're definitely building something. Who knows if it'll pan out, but it is a focused approach.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 06:30 PM)
Rizzo is young, so reading into his stats too much is dumb. Yes, he played well in the PCL, but it's the PCL. His AA numbers were OK, but he was 20.

Verdict on this trade won't be known for a few years.

I think the padres front office is better than the cubs thus I think I like this trade for them. I base this soley on the fact they built the d'backs in the manner thy are trying to build SD while Theo had an organization of success behind him. I am already sick of every move a being a huge win because Theo made it while every kW move is mindless.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 05:45 AM)
Being reported on the Score and WBBM that Starlin Castro has been accused of sexually assaulting a woman in her mid-20s.

Much like Bobby Valentine, she's probably just disappointed with his effort.

Hopefully the truth comes out. You never know with this type of stuff.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 06:51 PM)
My question is what is the Padres' angle here? They really, really like Cashner?

They also just traded for Alonso, have Kyle Blanks & Jesus Guzman, so Rizzo has nowhere to play. Also, read somewhere that Alonso's gap power is better suited for Petco than Rizzo's home run power, or something like that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 09:46 PM)
They also just traded for Alonso, have Kyle Blanks & Jesus Guzman, so Rizzo has nowhere to play. Also, read somewhere that Alonso's gap power is better suited for Petco than Rizzo's home run power, or something like that.

A player's value to you =/= a player's value to them