2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 23, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)
Those are mostly brokers, and they cant unload them at all. 5 bucks will buy you a lower level seat at Wrigley. When was the last time that was the case?

The 80's before most of Soxtalk was born. This is step number one to taking a big hit in the season ticket base. People always held on because if they didn't want to go, they could always resell at a profit. Now there is no reason to be a Cubs season ticket holder from that perspective. You can buy tickets at a fraction of their face value. Unless the Cubs make a big move this off season, look for them to take a huge hit in the season ticket holder base.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ May 25, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)
Not to kick a team while they're down, but the Cubs lost their 10th straight by losing 1-0 to the Pirates. Left 11 on base, and went 0-12 with runners in scoring position.

Longest losing streak for them in a decade.

Kick.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ May 23, 2012 -> 07:31 PM)
So, on ESPN 1000 in the past two days, I've heard:

1) Harry Teinowitz muttering about Hawk pointing out the empty seats "over and over" (Monday)

2) Bruce Levine blamed the empty seats on Sox fans not buying enough tickets to the "Crosstown" games (Monday)

3) And the first hour of Waddle & Silvy on Tuesday taking calls from listeners who don't go to games but follow the team on tv, radio, internet, etc. because tickets are too expensive and the team stinks.

Aren't those Sox fan arguments?

By the way, $140 for a bleacher seat for their premium games? That's crazy. http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/MLBEventIn...ts-HotTix-Games

It costs 140 bucks to sit in the bleachers ... for one game?

Sad what has come of the national pastime. That is a f***ing joke. A movie still is what, 10-12 bucks? Geezus.

Can you really get a lower level seat at wrigley for 5 bucks for a weekday game now? Man.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 25, 2012 -> 12:00 PM)
Ricketts was on Mully and Hanley this morning

He did not sound real assuring also Mully and Haugh who was sitting in, are terrible at interviewing people. They could not get a concise question out.

Yeah I caught most of it as well... Ricketts sounds a little lost in his answers, I'll give Mully and Haugh a slight pass because I don't think Ricketts has any solid answers, he bought a team at their tip top peak value in a broke state that isn't going to hand money over to him for free and he completely lost his leverage by not even head faking a move to Schaumburgh or the 'burbs.

One question I will give Mully credit for asking was after T-bone went on a 1-2 minute ramble about how unfair the position the Cubs are in with taxes, landmark status, etc., Mully flat out asked him "well didn't you know this when buying the team?" Ricketts basically said they did but believed something would get worked out.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 25, 2012 -> 09:29 PM)
Not to kick a team while they're down, but the Cubs lost their 10th straight by losing 1-0 to the Pirates. Left 11 on base, and went 0-12 with runners in scoring position.

#3 hitter: Joe Mather

#6 hitter: Adrian Cardenas

QUOTE (flavum @ May 25, 2012 -> 09:29 PM)

Hold on a second...

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 23, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
I'm looking forward to going to some cubs games over the summer. Cheap tickets on a hot day with booze and some good eye candy? Yes please.

Judging from this thread, if your idea of eye candy is a bunch of dudes who like $5 seats, you are in luck my friend!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
....waiting for us to be called fake sox fans

I'm not sure why so many Sox fans I know are adamant about not stepping into Wrigley. I've never had an issue taking Cub fan friends to The Cell, and they enjoy the experience. I consider myself fortunate that I'm able to take in NL baseball, see teams that I wouldn't normally see, etc. It's MLB baseball, the park has a great atmosphere/setting (especially night games- entirely different experience than day games. Not so much with The Cell). They don't tattoo a Cub logo on your forehead once you've made it past the gate, and there's no requirement forcing someone to root for the Cubs. It's not too hard to adopt an NL rooting interest, and if don't- you can relax and be completely indifferent about the outcome. When it's your team, relaxation and indifference can be hard to find. There were many times this past season that I would drop the $5 and catch a train to the city on a whim after work, and I'm thrilled to see that this summer is shaping up similarly.

One strike against Wrigley that stands out is the Steve Goodman song that sounds like it was lifted straight from Jimmy Buffet's catalog. Glass half full- they only do it after a Cubs win, so usually you're in the clear.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ May 26, 2012 -> 01:09 AM)
I'm not sure why so many Sox fans I know are adamant about not stepping into Wrigley. I've never had an issue taking Cub fan friends to The Cell, and they enjoy the experience. I consider myself fortunate that I'm able to take in NL baseball, see teams that I wouldn't normally see, etc. It's MLB baseball, the park has a great atmosphere/setting (especially night games- entirely different experience than day games. Not so much with The Cell). They don't tattoo a Cub logo on your forehead once you've made it past the gate, and there's no requirement forcing someone to root for the Cubs. It's not too hard to adopt an NL rooting interest, and if don't- you can relax and be completely indifferent about the outcome. When it's your team, relaxation and indifference can be hard to find. There were many times this past season that I would drop the $5 and catch a train to the city on a whim after work, and I'm thrilled to see that this summer is shaping up similarly.

One strike against Wrigley that stands out is the Steve Goodman song that sounds like it was lifted straight from Jimmy Buffet's catalog. Glass half full- they only do it after a Cubs win, so usually you're in the clear.

What I wanna know is where do you all keep on finding these $5 tickets?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 26, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
Poor Cubbies.

11 losses in a row now.

They have a great shot at the #1 overall pick in the draft under the Theo era. Get that rebuild goin the right way Theo!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
How long has it been since they lost 12 in a row? I'd like some milestone updates here.

I think we are just in the 1997 0-14 start territory.