2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 31, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)
That would be a mass suicidal event if Castro is traded. They built him up so much last season, he could go on to become their next Lou Brock.

Yeah, Lou Brock was s***ty with the Cubs and then figured out how to hit and take a walk. Castro has zero plate discipline right now and IMO is a great 2, 5,6,7 hitter on a contending team but not a middle of the order star you build around.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 31, 2012 -> 06:09 PM)
Yeah, Lou Brock was s***ty with the Cubs and then figured out how to hit and take a walk. Castro has zero plate discipline right now and IMO is a great 2, 5,6,7 hitter on a contending team but not a middle of the order star you build around.

Castro just needs to learn how to walk. He doesn't even need to walk a lot, at least walk 7-8% of the time to get near league average. He's had like 5 walks this year. Unless you're hitting .350, that's just not good enough.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 31, 2012 -> 06:09 PM)

agree completely. thats what ive told people; i dont think he can be the best player on your team

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 31, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)
That would be a mass suicidal event if Castro is traded. They built him up so much last season, he could go on to become their next Lou Brock.

By the time they could be good, he will also be a free agent.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2012 -> 07:33 PM)
So the Cubs are willing to eat $45 million of the $48 million left on Soriano's contract. If you really needed a DH, that probably wouldn't be the worst option. When the guy is hot, he's on fire.

That leaves a million dollars a year, right? There has to be someone out there who takes a chance on that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
That leaves a million dollars a year, right? There has to be someone out there who takes a chance on that.

I'd assume that getting the Cubs to do that would involve giving the Cubs something back at least as useful as Travis Wood.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2012 -> 07:33 PM)
So the Cubs are willing to eat $45 million of the $48 million left on Soriano's contract. If you really needed a DH, that probably wouldn't be the worst option. When the guy is hot, he's on fire.

If they are gonna eat THAT much money, I would think they would expect a pretty good prospect in return. Not a Zambrano type deal where they ate the money for a crappy AAAA pitcher. That was only $15 million.

Accidentally forgot to turn off the radio when I found out that Laurence Holmes was sitting in for McNeil, who was on another one of his vacations. Listened to him defiantly announce that he's not sure at this point if Starlin Castro is a Hall of Famer. Castro was called up on May 7 2010, so it's been 2 years and change.

If you separate the time Larry Holmes spends being a Dan Bernstein parrot from everything else, he has absolutely nothing. The creepy on-air fascination with women (particularly those in Chicago media) is really uncomfortable.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 08:03 AM)
By the time they could be good, he will also be a free agent.

also what's his defense been like this year? I know he wasn't spectacular at SS, and they might have decided he's not going to get a whole lot better.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
Accidentally forgot to turn off the radio when I found out that Laurence Holmes was sitting in for McNeil, who was on another one of his vacations. Listened to him defiantly announce that he's not sure at this point if Starlin Castro is a Hall of Famer. Castro was called up on May 7 2010, so it's been 2 years and change.

If you separate the time Larry Holmes spends being a Dan Bernstein parrot from everything else, he has absolutely nothing. The creepy on-air fascination with women (particularly those in Chicago media) is really uncomfortable.

Starlin Castro is barely an all-star.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
Cubs DFA Michael Bowden & claim Jairo Ascencio from Cleveland, who gave up 6 runs in 3.1 innings to the Sox last weekend.

Bowden was supposed to be the "Kid come home" great story/steal from Boston.

I does not understands, theo is god. how he do this wrong?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
Bowden was supposed to be the "Kid come home" great story/steal from Boston.

I does not understands, theo is god. how he do this wrong?

That did not take long.........I am suprised Theo let him go.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
Loving the media attention being paid to the cubs prospects and now the cubs draft yet I never hear what the Sox are looking to do. The fabrication of crap to try and keep the cubs relevant is nauseating.

Fine with me, I love being under the radar in first place.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)
If I was Theo, the guy I would trade is Smarjdkfdjfdk. He was hot garbage until this year. You could probably get a mint for him. He just seems like a short term wonder to me.

Nasty stuff. I don't think he's a one year wonder.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
If I was Theo, the guy I would trade is Smarjdkfdjfdk. He was hot garbage until this year. You could probably get a mint for him. He just seems like a short term wonder to me.

Might want to check your facts, he was actually good last year too for a full season, and this is his first year starting, and he's been good there now too.

Not sure what baseball sense that would make.