2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)
Cubs fired hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo.

I give Cubs brass credit they dumped him unlike the Sox that kept Walker 3 years too long!

Was it Dusty that use to go through a lot of hitting coaches or was it Manuel? I remember some Chicago manager was never pleased with hitting coaches.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)
Cubs fired hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo.

I give Cubs brass credit they dumped him unlike the Sox that kept Walker 3 years too long!

There was a column in the Trib just this Sunday stroking him for Soriano's recent tear.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
There was a column in the Trib just this Sunday stroking him for Soriano's recent tear.

If you ever follow Soriano, you will see he gets ridiculously hot at times, like he is now. He'll cool off and be horrible for a while and the boo birds will be back.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 04:46 PM)
Some might say it doesn't end there.

Jaramillo is probably a fine hitting coach. He is just not an approach fit with what Epstein wants. They have preached OBP at every level and have improved at every level except with the ML Club. Now, I realize that the team is horrible and a hitting coach cannot change the way veteran players approach hitting, but Jaramillo is not a preacher of OBP so why bother continuing the relationship?

Theo in the Tribune. This is a MLB executive's thoughts. I think some people have to ratchet down what they think the influence of a hitting coach is on professional hitters. They don't make .220 hitters with a .600 OPS, .330 hitters with a .900 OPS.

Epstein knows this, of course. He knows that if you want selective hitters you probably have to acquire them because it's almost impossible to re-train them once they have had some success with one style.

Epstein acknowledged that a patient approach to hitting "is probably more of a hard-wired trait,'' and said Little League coaches can have more influence than someone like Jaramillo, whom the Cubs have been paying $800,000 a year.

IMO, the Cubs realized paying 800k a year for a hitting coach is madness, Rudy was gone after this year and they knew it was a sunk cost . They want to see if this interm guy is worth keeping, so they made the move now.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 08:05 AM)
Theo in the Tribune. This is a MLB executive's thoughts. I think some people have to ratchet down what they think the influence of a hitting coach is on professional hitters. They don't make .220 hitters with a .600 OPS, .330 hitters with a .900 OPS.

Epstein knows this, of course. He knows that if you want selective hitters you probably have to acquire them because it's almost impossible to re-train them once they have had some success with one style.

Epstein acknowledged that a patient approach to hitting "is probably more of a hard-wired trait,'' and said Little League coaches can have more influence than someone like Jaramillo, whom the Cubs have been paying $800,000 a year.

IMO, the Cubs realized paying 800k a year for a hitting coach is madness, Rudy was gone after this year and they knew it was a sunk cost . They want to see if this interm guy is worth keeping, so they made the move now.

$800K/year = madness is correct especially for an ownership that is more interested in "revenue streams" from concerts DURING THE SEASON that leaves the field in a shambles.

I guess this is the new "cub way" that shows the commitment to winning Championships.

C'mon Sveum.

You can't have Valbuena swinging away when they finally got their first runner to 1B in 6 innings.

DP ball.

Especially when Reed Johnson was hitting .500 at a pinch hitter this season and over .300 overall.

103 pitches, 73 strikes for Verlander. At least the Cubs will have a chance against Valverde.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 01:25 AM)
The series vs. Detroit broke the record for highest attendance for a 3-game series. Never mind that like 75% of the fans were rooting for the Tigers.

Yep, over 124,000, and now they have the Red Sox in town.

Doesn't seem fair. Wish we could get half those numbers of Tigers' fans for Sox games in Chicago, at least we'd be making more money to go out and improve our team, and it's not like it would affect our home record all that much since we don't play that well at home anyway.

But I can't imagine actively marketing Sox tickets to Tigers' fans...that would be crazy, although some colleges do it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 12:25 PM)
The series vs. Detroit broke the record for highest attendance for a 3-game series. Never mind that like 75% of the fans were rooting for the Tigers.

This weekend will be 90% Boston fans, the media will not talk about that. With the cops detailed to the Valerie Jarrod wedding in Kenwood, Wrigley could be a zoo this weekend.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
Yep, over 124,000, and now they have the Red Sox in town.

Doesn't seem fair. Wish we could get half those numbers of Tigers' fans for Sox games in Chicago, at least we'd be making more money to go out and improve our team, and it's not like it would affect our home record all that much since we don't play that well at home anyway.

But I can't imagine actively marketing Sox tickets to Tigers' fans...that would be crazy, although some colleges do it.

Tigers play there 9 times a year annually.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
This weekend will be 90% Boston fans, the media will not talk about that. With the cops detailed to the Valerie Jarrod wedding in Kenwood, Wrigley could be a zoo this weekend.

The Tribune has and will proudly talk about it. On the front page of the sports section today, a caption mentions the pro-Detroit crowd and half the game recap discusses it as well.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
If Tony Campana can get on base somehwat conistently, dude can steal 100+ bases in a season easy. What a fast little f***er.

"He's so fast that they can't even clock his speed" - Some Cubs TV announcer.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 04:22 PM)
Dempster to the DL with right lat tightness. Perfect timing for Theo, who had him all but traded already.

Did he actually have a deal about done with someone? I got the impression that it could be a standard July deal for him.

If that's the case, this woulnd't be a bad thing, give him some extra rest before he's traded.